Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

$1200 Payout. Are immigrants eligible?

$1200 Payout. Are immigrants eligible?

Old May 23rd 2020, 12:09 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $1200 Payout. Are immigrants eligible?

Originally Posted by Rete
Curious why JSmith is entitled to the stimulus check? Yes, he is a USC, however, he is not a resident of the US but a resident of Canada.

I wonder if hubby is going to be money from Ontario since he is a Canadian citizen, pays taxes to the Canadian government, and last resided in Ontario.
Gotta as those in the US Congress, apparently its how they wrote the bill. Guess they based it on citizenship rather than residency. Many countries do income tax on residency, but the US does it on citizenship, which is why I have to file a return with the IRS every year despite not living or working there, and having no financial ties to the US, but its the law.

Canada didn't send out stimulus check like the US did, they did top up GST payment a bit and child benefits a bit for those with kids, but overall unless you became unemployed or significantly under employed, there was no financial assistance sent out.

For the record I have not actually received anything check or otherwise from the IRS.

Old May 23rd 2020, 12:37 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Gotta as those in the US Congress, apparently its how they wrote the bill. Guess they based it on citizenship rather than residency. Many countries do income tax on residency, but the US does it on citizenship, which is why I have to file a return with the IRS every year despite not living or working there, and having no financial ties to the US, but its the law.

Canada didn't send out stimulus check like the US did, they did top up GST payment a bit and child benefits a bit for those with kids, but overall unless you became unemployed or significantly under employed, there was no financial assistance sent out.

For the record I have not actually received anything check or otherwise from the IRS.
Have you checked online? It’s supposed to tell you when to expect the check.
Old May 23rd 2020, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

I know a tax-filing USC in Australia, married to a non-USC, and he is getting a cheque. He told me the IRS has a function on its web site that tells you when it was mailed.

Of course there is very little international air traffic right now so he may be in for a bit of a wait to receive it.
Old May 23rd 2020, 3:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
Have you checked online? It’s supposed to tell you when to expect the check.
Yeah I have tried a few times, but get the same message, either not eligible or they don't have enough information but are working on it.

I realized today according to USPS tracking, they never showed my tax returns as being delivered, so I don't even know if the IRS received them. I need to call next week and see if I can get a human.

I tried to set up an online account to see if I could find out if they have my returns, but they require a US phone number to sign up, like wtf you make people file from outside the US, but then make it so they can't sign up for an online account, super smart thinking there.

Oh apparently they also require a number from a financial account such as a car loan, mortgage, credit card, student loan so they can do a soft inquiry on credit report to verify you in addition to the US phone number, doesn't look like their online options are possible from outside the US, and I have no US financial accounts at all, so can't even provide them with one.

I'll call a human next week and see if I can get things sorted, there must be a way to access tax info online even for those not living in the US.

When I left the US, technology wasn't this advanced yet so not something I could have done before leaving.
Old May 23rd 2020, 5:53 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

There is an overseas phone number for the IRS that you can call.

You are eligible if you filed in 2019 or 2018 - so if they don't have your return for this year but have it from last year, you should be alright.
Old May 24th 2020, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

My good lady (USC) and I (Green card) are now living back in the UK, we filed 2019 taxes with a UK address and both received stimulus checks last month.
Old May 24th 2020, 6:30 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by carcajou
There is an overseas phone number for the IRS that you can call.

You are eligible if you filed in 2019 or 2018 - so if they don't have your return for this year but have it from last year, you should be alright.
I will attempt to call tomorrow (Monday) but I hear they are not currently accepting calls in regards to tax returns so who knows if I will get anywhere with them, but I am going to try anyhow tomorrow with a call.

Old May 24th 2020, 8:53 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I will attempt to call tomorrow (Monday) but I hear they are not currently accepting calls in regards to tax returns so who knows if I will get anywhere with them, but I am going to try anyhow tomorrow with a call.
US holiday on Monday, so I suggest you wait a day longer.
Old May 24th 2020, 9:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

my daughter (Toronto) hasn’t received hers yet J.
Old May 24th 2020, 9:23 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
US holiday on Monday, so I suggest you wait a day longer.
Tuesday it will be then. I lose track of most US holidays these days, didn't even realize it was a holiday Monday.
Old May 28th 2020, 1:51 am
Account Closed

US Citizens living in Canada are reporting receiving checks from the US, so maybe I will get one soon.

Old May 29th 2020, 4:15 am
Account Closed

Even dead people in Canada with USC are getting checks....

The man is sending it back to the IRS, but you'd think they would know if someone is dead, well they do know because the check after the man's mothers name says deceased.

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/kitchen...mail-1.4959030

I tried every address I have lived at in the last 10 years to see if any of them work on the IRS website and none do. They should have my current address on file, provided they have been getting and processing my returns each year.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; May 29th 2020 at 4:22 am.
Old May 29th 2020, 8:39 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Even dead people in Canada with USC are getting checks....

The man is sending it back to the IRS, but you'd think they would know if someone is dead, well they do know because the check after the man's mothers name says deceased.

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/kitchen...mail-1.4959030

I tried every address I have lived at in the last 10 years to see if any of them work on the IRS website and none do. They should have my current address on file, provided they have been getting and processing my returns each year.
I read somewhere that no more paper checks would be sent out. They are now sending prepaid Visa cards.
Old May 29th 2020, 9:13 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Mallory
I read somewhere that no more paper checks would be sent out. They are now sending prepaid Visa cards.
Well that would suck if there is no way to get it off the card.

I wouldn't be surprised if they sent one and it doesn't work in Canada...ha ha
Old May 30th 2020, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

We live in the UK as does our son and we pay our US taxes via bank transfer when we file. Our son had his $1,200 paid directly into his account. Because of IRA to Roth conversions our income was too high to qualify for the stimulus check.

Our son spent his stimulus money on a new garage door so did his bit to stimulate the UK economy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.