Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

$1200 Payout. Are immigrants eligible?

$1200 Payout. Are immigrants eligible?

Old Apr 26th 2020, 10:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $1200 Payout. Are immigrants eligible?

Can it still be cashed by the executor of the estate ? If the check cannot be cleared then the money remains with the Treasury. No loss !

Old Apr 26th 2020, 10:22 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah return or destroy the check. Do not cash it. Misappropriating Federal finds is no small deal.
Old Apr 26th 2020, 11:07 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Can it still be cashed by the executor of the estate ? If the check cannot be cleared then the money remains with the Treasury. No loss !
No loss to the US, but it’s just another sign that the IRS scattered these checks rather indiscriminately. My daughter lives on Cape Cod, where a lot of jobs in hospitality and tourism are filled by young people from countries like Ukraine. They are just there for the season, I don’t know what kind of visa that is. She told me one girl she keeps in touch with received a check for $1,200 at her home in Ukraine.
Old Apr 26th 2020, 2:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ss120396
Luckily it's early enough in the year that most will have earned relatively little so far, so a lot of people will qualify for Medicaid (in the states where applicable) or highly subsidized Obamacare. Also many companies are putting their employees on furlough rather than laying them off, which means they may be able to keep their insurance. Macy's is an example of this, they've closed stores but are continuing to pay for their employees' health insurance.

Also, a substantial portion of the people not working now are lower paid service workers who didn't have employment-based insurance in the first place, so it isn't necessarily a change for them. In fact, in most states people earning less than $25 an hour are set to earn more from the expanded unemployment benefits than they would working, so it may actually be easier for them to afford health insurance than it was before, especially with driving, eating out, and entertainment expenses being lower.
There are limitations on how much cash one can have to qualify for Medicaid in some states, and some doctors refuse to take Medicaid patients, service whose employers kept them under 30 hours a week probably wouldn't had insurance,and there are situations where workers who worked over 30 hours a week simply couldn't afford the insurance offered,so quite a few will not qualify for medical insurance or may not have had in place.A couple with a family might be in the situation where the stimulus checks alone make them unable to qualify for Medicaid. Crazy system in America. Considering the health benefits those in Congress get, it is outrageous.
Old Apr 26th 2020, 2:50 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently those on social security will be one of the last to get their stimulus money. Especially those like us who haven't filed taxes for 2019 yet because another country's government hasn't sent their T-4's to non-residents yet.

My daughter in NY got her weeks ago. Oh well, I can live without it.
Old Apr 26th 2020, 3:53 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
We have a friend whose mother died last year, about six or eight months ago I believe. On Friday she received a $1,200 check addressed to her mother. And they knew she was dead, because her name had “dec.” after it. Our friend asked her accountant how this happened, and he said it’s a common problem, and the IRS were unable to prevent those checks being sent out to dead people.
The Los Angeles Times recently reported issuance of such payments. Although the article had some language of uncertainty, the gist was that apparently the payments are kosher and the checks will not be clawed back. Apparently, if an income tax return was filed for 2018 or 2019, a check will issue.

My father passed away in Oct 2018 and we have yet to receive payment. My wife and I have not received payment yet, but our income includes Social Security.
Old Apr 26th 2020, 5:10 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
The Los Angeles Times recently reported issuance of such payments. Although the article had some language of uncertainty, the gist was that apparently the payments are kosher and the checks will not be clawed back. Apparently, if an income tax return was filed for 2018 or 2019, a check will issue.

My father passed away in Oct 2018 and we have yet to receive payment. My wife and I have not received payment yet, but our income includes Social Security.
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...-death-payment

Thanks, interesting article. I’ll send it to my friend.
Old Apr 26th 2020, 5:18 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Overpayments will not be clawed back. This isn't an overpayment, the recipient is dead.
Old Apr 26th 2020, 8:11 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Overpayments will not be clawed back. This isn't an overpayment, the recipient is dead.
When my dad died, I called SSA a week later to notify them and end direct deposit of his SS payments. They already knew. (I later found out that the SSA death index often adds people still alive). The poster noted that the check was made out to the beneficiary as deceased.

I still get an occasional check for my dad and my wife for her mother. We negotiate them and then split it with family beneficiaries. The question is whether I can do the same if I receive a check for Dad based upon his last tax return in 2018. Fortunately I don’t need the money. The LA Unified School District food services division is now operating as a food bank and I would donate such funds payable to dad. I think he would agree with that.
Old Apr 26th 2020, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute

I arrived as L1 at towards the end of last year, enough so that I was non resident in 2019 for my tax return. My normal salary would be far greater than $75,000 but I only earnt ~$30,000 in US as it was pro-rated. Am I right to not expect any cheque? (I don't need it, purely curious - it would go to charity anyway).
Old Apr 26th 2020, 9:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky

definitely uncertainty.it seems if one filed in 2018 or 2019, owed taxes and direct deposit info on return things go smooth. the get payment section on IRS there is some reporting that if you get social security should be used. though public statements social security dont need to do anything. to make matter worse payment for dependents if info not filed online by april 22, may not be paid at all. they did a good job moving fast but seems a lot of people will fall through the cracks.only a government bureaucrat though could have such a problem giving money away.
Old Apr 28th 2020, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by postbox134
I was non resident in 2019 for my tax return.
My understanding is that if you filed a 1040NR then you would not be eligible to receive a stimulus payment:

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-...sked-questions
Old Apr 28th 2020, 11:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Apparently those on social security will be one of the last to get their stimulus money. Especially those like us who haven't filed taxes for 2019 yet because another country's government hasn't sent their T-4's to non-residents yet.

My daughter in NY got her weeks ago. Oh well, I can live without it.
Husband doesn't have an online CRA account? T4's can be accessed online usually by end of February into first week of March, but of course one needs an online CRA account.
Old May 5th 2020, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Getting a stimulus check is NOT a gimme if you're married to a non-citizen...

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/12-m...posts_card_hed

Old May 10th 2020, 3:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Getting a stimulus check is NOT a gimme if you're married to a non-citizen...

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/12-m...posts_card_hed
Sounds like its only those married to a non-citizen who file taxes jointly that are affected?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.