Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

$1 Million for being hit with a ball

$1 Million for being hit with a ball

Old Jul 17th 2013, 10:53 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default $1 Million for being hit with a ball

That's what the parents want, anyway.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-te...en-4668523.php
Old Jul 17th 2013, 11:31 pm
Bob
SUPER MODERATOR

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $1 Million for being hit with a ball

Must have been some hit to warrant that...dribbling into a bag kind of thing.
Old Jul 19th 2013, 6:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Must have been some hit to warrant that...dribbling into a bag kind of thing.
No. He has headaches. Does sound a stretch. When you pitch, one of the risks is a ball coming right at you. Part of the game. I got hit in the head twice. Hmm, now that I think of it, that could explain a lot. I did switch to shortstop after the second one.
Old Jul 19th 2013, 6:13 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze View Post
That's what the parents want, anyway.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-te...en-4668523.php
The little league should demand a jury trial, I can't imagine any jury buying this. Thousands of L L games played daily the occasional injury is unavoidable.
Doctor bills, you bet.
Old Jul 19th 2013, 6:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate View Post
The little league should demand a jury trial, I can't imagine any jury buying this. Thousands of L L games played daily the occasional injury is unavoidable.
Doctor bills, you bet.
It seems that the motivation is that they suspect the bat used had been altered. An aluminum bat can be 'end loaded, or weighted' to create a higher moment of inertia and increasing ball speed off the bat. They can also be shaved, which is sort of like boring out a cylinder in an engine. That reduces weight and, again, increases moment of inertia.

So,,,long story short (too late) if the bat was altered, in violation of the rules, the ball speed would have increased and severely limited a pitchers ability to react to a ball hit at him. If that was the case, they have a valid complaint. It does suck that in Little league, a kids game, that some adult would stoop to that kind of cheating.

Last edited by dakota44; Jul 19th 2013 at 6:42 am.
Old Jul 19th 2013, 6:32 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44 View Post
It seems that the motivation is that they suspect the bat used had been altered, for example 'corked' to provide greater velocity off the bat. Bats that are 'corked' have been hollowed out (in the case of wooden bats) and filled with cork. Aluminum bats are hollow to begin with, so plenty of room for cork. If that is the case, that it had been altered, (a rules violation) they have a point. The ball from a corked bat would reach the pitcher way to fast for him to react, which amplifies the normal risk to an unacceptable level.
Yes I understand altered bats, but unless one is delivered then it becomes an unfortunate playing accident. Don't get me wrong I feel for the kid and family and understand their anger(?).
Old Jul 19th 2013, 6:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Beaverstate View Post
Yes I understand altered bats, but unless one is delivered then it becomes an unfortunate playing accident. Don't get me wrong I feel for the kid and family and understand their anger(?).
According to the article, the coach tried to hide the bat in his car and the police were called to prevent him from removing it from the area. Of course it also says that the league tested the bat and said it was not altered, but, a judge has ordered the bat held for further testing. So at some point they will know. If it has not been altered, then they clearly have no case.