Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

$1 Billion for Bin Laden?

$1 Billion for Bin Laden?

Old Sep 24th 2001, 5:40 pm
No One

I wonder how long it would take to capture Bin Laden and his leadership if a one
billion dollar reward were placed on their heads. Our government has currently set
aside billions of dollars to attack Bin Laden, and a paltry twenty-five million in
rewards. Let's put capitalism to work for the good of mankind. Personally, I believe
that it would be cheaper to offer real reward then spend billions of dollars and many
lives on a military strike. Just think how far one billion dollars would go towards
feeding the people of Afghanistan.

Old Sep 24th 2001, 5:46 pm
Afghan American

This is exactly the type of thinking that gives US a bad name. You/we think that
anything can be obtained using money. Right now the FBI has a 5 million reward for
Bin Laden. That is alot of money for anybody. For an Afghan, it will feed his whole
village for a long long time. But they haven't turned Bin Laden in yet, have they? Do
you think increasing the amount will help? If the Afghans thought that Bin Laden was
guilty, they would turn him in without asking for a penny.

>
a
    >
    >
    >
good
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 24th 2001, 6:33 pm
No One

My point was that we are willing to spend twenty-billion-plus dollars fighting
terrorism, and almost nothing getting at the roots of terrorism--which, from my
humble point of view, is that people who have no hope for a decent quality are easy
to co-op into questionable organizations.

American corporate colonialism is to blame for this problem. American corporations
have strip-mined the world for decades, and they are now strip-mining the U.S. with
programs like H-1B. The profit, at any cost, style of management made popular by
"Neutron Jack Welch" has led American/Multinational companies to bribe the members of
our government as well as those of other countries to pass laws and create programs,
such as H-1B, to allow this exploitation to continue. The Islamic fundementalists are
just the first group of people to say "enough is enough."

When we see a threat to our saftey, the U.S. Government goes on a compaign to justify
military attacks instead of offering serious rewards that would go a long way toward
helping people. Why? Because congresscretins see this tragic situation as an
opportunity to pad the pockets of their buddies in the "Military Industrial Complex."

>
think
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 24th 2001, 8:00 pm
Dutch In Atlanta

>
    >
    >
    >

The billions are to go after terrorism in its many
manifestations. The 25 mil is to bring in one very small part of it.

Regards,

DUTCH

**Winners alter their ideas to fit the truth. . . losers alter the truth to fit
their ideas.**

Old Sep 24th 2001, 9:08 pm
James Donovan

"Afghan American" <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Hahahahahahahaha oh yeah? If the afghans thought bin laden was guilty they would be
celebrating non stop and think of him as God as they do now!

Old Sep 24th 2001, 10:17 pm
Richard Wesley

Actually, the point is more to find someone high enough placed in his organization to
turn traitor. 5 million is a paltry amount to offer such a person for a superior
whose assets are estimated at 1 billion. I'd go as high as 5 billion, just to make
sure no one else could outbid.

As for the rest of the critique, the average Afghan is clearly not in a position to
turn him in and the Taliban owe him far too much to turn him over. And maybe his
lieutenants can't be bought, but if so, it would be the only real virtue they have
demonstrated.

in message

[usenetquote2]> > I wonder how long it would take to capture Bin Laden and his leadership if[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > one billion dollar reward were placed on their heads. Our government has[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > currently set aside billions of dollars to attack Bin Laden, and a paltry[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > twenty-five million in rewards. Let's put capitalism to work for the[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > of mankind. Personally, I believe that it would be cheaper to offer real reward[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > then spend billions of dollars and many lives on a military strike. Just think[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > how far one billion dollars would go towards feeding the people of Afghanistan.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
    >

Old Sep 25th 2001, 2:20 am
William Barwell

>
    >

Currently there is a $5 million bounty on his head.

Pope Charles SubGenius Pope of Houston Slack!

Old Sep 25th 2001, 8:28 am
Anonymous

So far, I've only read US news reports that Bin Laden is to blame.

The UK news that I've been reading online, which has far better coverage of the whole
thing than US news agencies, is suggesting that Bin Laden is more of a financier/hub
in the terrorist world, than the mastermind behind these attacks.

If all he did was donate some money to some fanatical militants, is he really public
enemy number 1?

Bush is now saying that he has evidence. I'd love to see it, but I'd also like to see
the evidence that Clinton said he had (to prove that the Sudanese chemicals factory
really was producing VX gas).

My point is that it's not just the one man that the US has to deal with. In the past,
American presidents have loved having a "bad guy", and this case is no different. If
Saddam really was so evil, then why didn't Bush or Clinton take him out? Why spend
millions of dollars on that light-and-sound show that we now know as the Gulf War,
when it would have been cheaper to shoot Saddam?

The fact is that it's going to take a lot more than taking out one man here. Bin
Laden's predecessor, Abdallah Azzam, was assasinated back in 1989, and as we've just
seen, that didn't stop any killing.

If you're happy with somebody-anybody getting the blame, then maybe it's best to keep
pointing the finger at Bin Laden. But don't think you'll be safe with him out of the
picture. There's a lot of international resentment over America's actions over the
last 50 years. That resentment will fuel other fanatics into action.

-Anonymous

>
a
    >
    >
    >
good
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 25th 2001, 11:10 am
Dutch In Atlanta

[usenetquote2]>>I wonder how long it would take to capture Bin Laden and his leadership if a one[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>billion dollar reward were placed on their heads. Our government has[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >

It's been raised to 20 mil.

Regards,

DUTCH

**Politicians and diapers should both be changed regularly. . . .and for the
same reason.**

Old Sep 25th 2001, 2:06 pm
No One

>
    >
The
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

If you read my follow-up, you will see that I came to the same conclusion. The fact
that we are willing to spend billions on military strikes, but only offer a few
million in rewards just raises the "Military Industrial Complex" red flag. Congress
should know that bribes work better than force (after all, our congressmen take
graft, in the form of campaign contributions, everyday).

Old Sep 25th 2001, 8:00 pm
Philotsopher

Americans think that everyone is ruled by the dollar. That is one of the reasons we
have such a tough time understanding the terrorists. We (American's not me) believe
there should be a McDonald's on every corner of the world and we can't understand why
Afghans don't want our phony capitalist ideals. We think they too will lust for
corporate jobs and money if we just force them to.

The terrorists were very clever because they do understand our system of greed. The
way they used legal visas to enter the US was a stroke of genius. They understood
that greedy companies lobby for these visas for profit. The pilot training schools
like Embry Riddle will train anyone for money with a visa, and the terrorists
understood that.

It's a war between Capitalist Globalists and Islamic fundamentalists. I'm not sure
which one is more tyrannical. So far I would say the globalists have proven to be
the dumbest.

>
think
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > I wonder how long it would take to capture Bin Laden and his leadership[/usenetquote2]
if
    >
[usenetquote2]> > one billion dollar reward were placed on their heads. Our government[/usenetquote2]
has
[usenetquote2]> > currently set aside billions of dollars to attack Bin Laden, and a[/usenetquote2]
paltry
[usenetquote2]> > twenty-five million in rewards. Let's put capitalism to work for the[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > of mankind. Personally, I believe that it would be cheaper to offer[/usenetquote2]
real
[usenetquote2]> > reward then spend billions of dollars and many lives on a military[/usenetquote2]
strike.
[usenetquote2]> > Just think how far one billion dollars would go towards feeding the[/usenetquote2]
people
[usenetquote2]> > of Afghanistan.[/usenetquote2]
    >

Old Sep 25th 2001, 10:33 pm
Bloody Viking

If you read my follow-up, you will see that I came to the same conclusion.
    >
    >
    >
    >

A reward for bin Laden like a Wild West wanted poster of like $50,000,000 would work.
Since bin Laden is real cash laden, the prize could come out of confiscated assets,
giving the Justice Department a nice profit.

Now, if it's one of his terrorist minions that turns him in, you offer a lower price
on his head, to remove the prize from terrorist hands. And use his money for the new
reward. If it's a bounty hunter, he can keep the prize obviously.

The Congress graft is a tardave bribe system, where they get to keep unused campaign
money when they retire. But a tardave (time delay) bribe works just as good as a
regular bribe.

This same graft system is why this unwinnable war is being fought. Boeing sure
added money into the PAC Bribe system, to boost business, as they make fighters and
other fun to drive planes, as well as airliners. It's a shrewd cynical move to buy
a war, as now people are going to ride in planes less out of fear. Amtrak might
even make a profit!

--
FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run. The USDA
guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust. The liver makes the
vast majority of the cholesterol in your bloodstream. http://www.ripco.com/~nospam/

CUIDADO: Las Puertas Estan Listas Para Cerrar.

Old Sep 25th 2001, 10:53 pm
Bloody Viking

The terrorists were very clever because they do understand our system of
    >
    >
    >
    >

The weapon used is indeed ingenius. They took part of our infrastructure to use as
their weapon. In this case, airliners were ready-made truck bombs, there for the
hijacking. Becuse they were passenger planes, you can't shoot them down, at least not
on the first use of this attack method. The student visas and using the training
places willing to train anyone with money only adds to the inginuity of the weapon.

>
    >
    >

The globalists let greed make them blind. Now, they lost the World Trade Centre.
The third target hit, the Pentagon, represents the globalists' global enforcement
arm, like a global police department headquarters. With recent years and
anti-globalist protestors (like Seattle) I actually figured at first it was a small
group of homebrew anti-globalists that did the deed, not Islamic fundimentalists
going as idiots.

The blind greed will bite them in the arse again, though it may not be with a flying
truck bomb. Security will up the ante, though that's no guarentee. My bet is that the
next flying truck bomb will be an airline pilot subdueing the other, particularly if
their union gets its way and pilots are allowed to pack heat. That'll reduce
hijackings but enable a disgruntled pilot to have his truck bomb. Ex-military is no
guarentee, as Tim McVeigh proves. Same with disgruntled postal workers. Even
air-marshalls are no guarentee as they can get disgruntled too.

Another way blind greed makes a security hole is airport security people making real
low wages. As can be seen by lousy service at McDonald's you get what you pay for
with wages. A minimum wage guard is liable to be corruptible with minimal money to
let a bin Laden disciple through. Or get recruited!

--
FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run. The USDA
guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust. The liver makes the
vast majority of the cholesterol in your bloodstream. http://www.ripco.com/~nospam/

CUIDADO: Las Puertas Estan Listas Para Cerrar.

Old Sep 26th 2001, 1:05 am
Philotsopher

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
resentment
    >
    >
    >
You can bet that the American people are gullible enough to believe Bush. Everyone
wants to have a bad guy to blame. Once he is gone, it's business as usual.