Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

$ Transfers to Australia.

$ Transfers to Australia.

Old Jun 24th 2010, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute
Default $ Transfers to Australia.

Hi All, I was wondering if any of you can recommend ways to transfer USD to Australia. I know this is primarily a british expat site but I thought I ask.

All banks I have been to, mention that US-AUS transfer will be a wife transfer and hence are charging ridiculous fees. I even tried Citibank.

I have read about XE.com. Does it facilitate transfers and any experience anyone would like to share please?
Let us know.

Thanks in advance
Old Jun 24th 2010, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $ Transfers to Australia.

yes, I recommend XE.com
Old Jun 25th 2010, 12:36 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only

I have read about XE.com. Does it facilitate transfers and any experience anyone would like to share please?
Let us know.
Just have a quick browse of the forums, you'll find loads of threads on the subject.

xe.com are very popular. hifx are another, there's a few places that offer a similar service.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

Location: Currently in Redmond, Washington, returning to Sydney 2013!!
SamG will become famous soon enough

When we moved to Sydney we used HiFX to transfer our funds across - they were great. You don't mention how much you're looking to move and I suppose some solutions are better than others depending on the amount but I would recommend HiFX anyway.

Good Luck!
Old Jun 25th 2010, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I actually moved up here (CA) from Sydney. I do however have to transfer money everymonth for my mortgage there. It won't be must let's say average $800 USD a month.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, I just did it recently since my AU bank account gets 6.35% interest and my US gets bugger all.

I have used XE.com for a few years and have found them nothing but helpful and competent.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

goatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nice

Hi All, I was wondering if any of you can recommend ways to transfer USD to Australia. I know this is primarily a british expat site but I thought I ask.

All banks I have been to, mention that US-AUS transfer will be a wife transfer and hence are charging ridiculous fees. I even tried Citibank.

Let us know.

Thanks in advance
Several of the players will handle ACH Debits from your US bank account. This avoids the need to wire funds from your US bank account to the providers bank account. I send money to both the UK and AUS from the US using this method.

The key bit is to choose one that handles ACH Debits from your US account otherwise you'll be paying +/- 20 USD each time you wire funds to the providers US account.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by goatherder
Several of the players will handle ACH Debits from your US bank account. This avoids the need to wire funds from your US bank account to the providers bank account. I send money to both the UK and AUS from the US using this method.

The key bit is to choose one that handles ACH Debits from your US account otherwise you'll be paying +/- 20 USD each time you wire funds to the providers US account.
Any experience with the XE.com guys? I do know they offer free EFT and Drafts to Australia bank. (Wire transfer comes at a cost). I am yet to otherstand though, how they take money out from me in the US. Thx!
Old Jul 1st 2010, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

goatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nice

Any experience with the XE.com guys? I do know they offer free EFT and Drafts to Australia bank. (Wire transfer comes at a cost). I am yet to otherstand though, how they take money out from me in the US. Thx!
Hi

I use them for both Australia and UK. They will ACH Debit from your US bank account. The first time you do it it takes around 10 days or so as they need to check the account details, etc... but after that its quick (and no fee).

Its in their FAQ - Option: Payment by EFT Electronic Funds Transfer

Also as its for a mortgage payment you should look at their forward buy product. It will lock in the rate for 12 months and automatically deduct the funds from your account each month.

Goat.

Last edited by goatherder; Jul 1st 2010 at 10:40 am.
Old Jul 1st 2010, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi

I use them for both Australia and UK. They will ACH Debit from your US bank account. The first time you do it it takes around 10 days or so as they need to check the account details, etc... but after that its quick (and no fee).

Its in their FAQ - Option: Payment by EFT Electronic Funds Transfer

Also as its for a mortgage payment you should look at their forward buy product. It will lock in the rate for 12 months and automatically deduct the funds from your account each month.

Goat.
Thanks heaps, the fwd buy looks good. I have to give them one mroe ID statement and then will experience how it all works!
Cheers
Old Jul 1st 2010, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks heaps, the fwd buy looks good. I have to give them one mroe ID statement and then will experience how it all works!
Cheers
no worries.

Hope Cali is treating you well. For me back to England in a month or so for 2 years.

Spend most of the summer there already.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

no worries.

Hope Cali is treating you well. For me back to England in a month or so for 2 years.

Spend most of the summer there already.
So far so good mate - all the very best with your England move!!