British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   $ Transfers to Australia. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/%24-transfers-australia-673877/)

E3only Jun 24th 2010 7:05 pm

$ Transfers to Australia.

Hi All, I was wondering if any of you can recommend ways to transfer USD to Australia. I know this is primarily a british expat site but I thought I ask.

All banks I have been to, mention that US-AUS transfer will be a wife transfer and hence are charging ridiculous fees. I even tried Citibank.

I have read about XE.com. Does it facilitate transfers and any experience anyone would like to share please?
Let us know.

Thanks in advance

cranston Jun 24th 2010 7:24 pm

Re: $ Transfers to Australia.

yes, I recommend XE.com

Bob Jun 25th 2010 12:36 am

Originally Posted by E3only (Post 8654961)

I have read about XE.com. Does it facilitate transfers and any experience anyone would like to share please?
Let us know.

Just have a quick browse of the forums, you'll find loads of threads on the subject.

xe.com are very popular. hifx are another, there's a few places that offer a similar service.

SamG Jun 25th 2010 1:06 am

When we moved to Sydney we used HiFX to transfer our funds across - they were great. You don't mention how much you're looking to move and I suppose some solutions are better than others depending on the amount but I would recommend HiFX anyway.

Good Luck!

E3only Jun 25th 2010 4:06 pm

Thanks, I actually moved up here (CA) from Sydney. I do however have to transfer money everymonth for my mortgage there. It won't be must let's say average $800 USD a month.

augigi Jun 27th 2010 7:55 am

Yep, I just did it recently since my AU bank account gets 6.35% interest and my US gets bugger all.

I have used XE.com for a few years and have found them nothing but helpful and competent.

goatherder Jun 28th 2010 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by E3only (Post 8654961)
Hi All, I was wondering if any of you can recommend ways to transfer USD to Australia. I know this is primarily a british expat site but I thought I ask.

All banks I have been to, mention that US-AUS transfer will be a wife transfer and hence are charging ridiculous fees. I even tried Citibank.

Let us know.

Thanks in advance

Several of the players will handle ACH Debits from your US bank account. This avoids the need to wire funds from your US bank account to the providers bank account. I send money to both the UK and AUS from the US using this method.

The key bit is to choose one that handles ACH Debits from your US account otherwise you'll be paying +/- 20 USD each time you wire funds to the providers US account.

E3only Jun 28th 2010 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by goatherder (Post 8662851)
Several of the players will handle ACH Debits from your US bank account. This avoids the need to wire funds from your US bank account to the providers bank account. I send money to both the UK and AUS from the US using this method.

The key bit is to choose one that handles ACH Debits from your US account otherwise you'll be paying +/- 20 USD each time you wire funds to the providers US account.

Any experience with the XE.com guys? I do know they offer free EFT and Drafts to Australia bank. (Wire transfer comes at a cost). I am yet to otherstand though, how they take money out from me in the US. Thx!

goatherder Jul 1st 2010 10:36 am

Originally Posted by E3only (Post 8663136)
Any experience with the XE.com guys? I do know they offer free EFT and Drafts to Australia bank. (Wire transfer comes at a cost). I am yet to otherstand though, how they take money out from me in the US. Thx!

Hi

I use them for both Australia and UK. They will ACH Debit from your US bank account. The first time you do it it takes around 10 days or so as they need to check the account details, etc... but after that its quick (and no fee).

Its in their FAQ - Option: Payment by EFT Electronic Funds Transfer

Also as its for a mortgage payment you should look at their forward buy product. It will lock in the rate for 12 months and automatically deduct the funds from your account each month.

Goat.

E3only Jul 1st 2010 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by goatherder (Post 8669994)
Hi

I use them for both Australia and UK. They will ACH Debit from your US bank account. The first time you do it it takes around 10 days or so as they need to check the account details, etc... but after that its quick (and no fee).

Its in their FAQ - Option: Payment by EFT Electronic Funds Transfer

Also as its for a mortgage payment you should look at their forward buy product. It will lock in the rate for 12 months and automatically deduct the funds from your account each month.

Goat.

Thanks heaps, the fwd buy looks good. I have to give them one mroe ID statement and then will experience how it all works!
Cheers

goatherder Jul 1st 2010 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by E3only (Post 8671198)
Thanks heaps, the fwd buy looks good. I have to give them one mroe ID statement and then will experience how it all works!
Cheers

no worries.

Hope Cali is treating you well. For me back to England in a month or so for 2 years.

Spend most of the summer there already.

E3only Jul 2nd 2010 3:54 am

Originally Posted by goatherder (Post 8671522)
no worries.

Hope Cali is treating you well. For me back to England in a month or so for 2 years.

Spend most of the summer there already.

So far so good mate - all the very best with your England move!!