Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

"Hundreds of Muslim Immigrants Rounded Up in Calif."

"Hundreds of Muslim Immigrants Rounded Up in Calif."

Old Dec 19th 2002, 12:07 pm
  #1  
Stephen H Houchen
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default "Hundreds of Muslim Immigrants Rounded Up in Calif."

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...21219/ts_nm/at
tack_immigration_dc_3&printer=1
 
Old Dec 19th 2002, 12:24 pm
  #2  
BE Enthusiast
 
robclews's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: UK Citizen Now In Baltimore County USA
Posts: 906
robclews is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: "Hundreds of Muslim Immigrants Rounded Up in Calif."

I can link the page but see no mention of the story.
robclews is offline  
Old Dec 19th 2002, 12:27 pm
  #3  
Pagan Sex God
 
Patrick's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Living in Oblivion
Posts: 3,668
Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Hundreds of Muslim Immigrants Rounded Up in Calif."

Originally posted by Stephen H Houchen
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...21219/ts_nm/at
tack_immigration_dc_3&printer=1
Whats your point? An extreme muslim group declares war on America and you think there is no enemy within. If these people were arrested there had to be a reason - its not legal to victimise groups. Lets see what happens with these people, if they are not radicals they will be set free and this being America they will sue the government for millions of dollars which they will then plough back into terrorist activities against the government! If they were arrested because they are suspected of something then they must go through the legal process.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...dc_3&printer=1

Last edited by Patrick; Dec 19th 2002 at 12:30 pm.
Patrick is offline  
Old Dec 19th 2002, 2:00 pm
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 49
geofftex is an unknown quantity at this point
Default All those arrested had overstayed or other issues

I read the post on the drudge report. It says that all of those that were taken into custody were in violation of their visas or had committed other crimes. If they were in status then they registered and left.
I don't feel too sorry for folks that don't follow the rules. If the visa is good for 90 days or a year then they should get it renewed or find a way to stay legally. There is no reason for them to be here illegally. Too many people follow the process and are delayed because the INS is overburdened with people that don't follow procedures and are here illegally.
I know there some people that were detained that are in the process of getting legal. I am sure those people that should be here will be released after having an immigration trial. The other folks should be sent back to their homeland.
geofftex is offline  
Old Dec 19th 2002, 3:37 pm
  #5  
Mrtravel
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: "Hundreds of Muslim Immigrants Rounded Up in Calif."

Patrick wrote:
    >
    > Whats your point? An extreme muslim group declares war on America and
    > you think there is no enemy within. If these people were arrested there
    > had to be a reason - its not legal to victimise groups. Lets see what
    > happens with these people, if they are not radicals they will be set
    > free and this being America they will sue the government for millions of
    > dollars which they will then plough back into terrorist activities
    > against the government!

What the hell are you are talking about. If they are not radicals, then
why would they put the money into terrorists activities?
 
Old Dec 19th 2002, 4:24 pm
  #6  
Nyb
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: "Hundreds of Muslim Immigrants Rounded Up in Calif."

"robclews" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I can link the page but see no mention of the story.


Try this link http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/2589317.stm

Sean
 
Old Dec 19th 2002, 6:27 pm
  #7  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 288
bobzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Udall made a post the other day mentioning that he had heard of people being put in handcuffs during interviews - looks like he had a front seat view of what was about to crack wide open.

The issue to me isn't quite so cut and dry as to merely consider that many of these people probably overstayed their visas or commited even worse crimes. The issue is that they were blind-sided: they were asked to register; they were not asked to turn themselves in for detention or deportation (at least this is what I understand from the news stories).

Bad PR to do it like this - it's a political knee-jerk. The effect of this is that it will drive the "real" bad guys even further underground. And around the world, it will make us look like we are picking on easy targets rather than actually solving the core problems.

People like my alien ex-wife, the one who forged my name on INS documents: I couldn't get ANYBODY to open her file. I finally got proof of a forged I-751 signature two years after the fact by using the Freedom of Information Act -- but the INS still didn't care. I also found that she had been opening investment accounts and making deposits, then moving the money to a new investment account, then to another, etc -- apparently a tactic used by terrorists to launder money. But I couldn't get anybody to listen to me.

Perhaps my efforts helped to bring about changes in public policy, but nobody would act on her particular case. My point is, nobody cares about INDIVIDUALS who blatently commit crimes, no matter that a USC spends two years trying to get attention. Instead, the INS will seek photo-ops to raid a sweatshop or bean farm to arrest poor people who are absolutely harmless. That's how I read this news story: it is a photo op. People who overstay their visas are vastly different from my ex-wife. She was a true criminal, but not a good Kodak moment for the INS.

This Kodak moment is a technically correct legal move, but it is public relations suicide because it publicly targets the wrong people.

Last edited by bobzy; Dec 19th 2002 at 6:33 pm.
bobzy is offline  
Old Dec 19th 2002, 7:27 pm
  #8  
Mrtravel
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: "Hundreds of Muslim Immigrants Rounded Up in Calif."

bobzy wrote:
    >
    > Udall made a post the other day mentioning that he had heard of people
    > being put in handcuffs during interviews - looks like he had a front
    > seat view of what was about to crack wide open.
    >
    > The issue to me isn't quite so cut and dry as to merely consider that
    > many of these people probably overstayed their visas or commited even
    > worse crimes. The issue is that they were blind-sided: they were asked
    > to register; they were not asked to turn themselves in for detention or
    > deportation (at least this is what I understand from the news stories).

If they were violating visas, I can't imagine why they thought it would
be OK to head on down to INS to register.

The subject line referring to them as "immigrants" is kind of
misleading. It looks to imply they are legal immigrants.

I can see this from your prospective... After all, you have made
multiple issues similar to this under different names. This post
describing what your wife did to you reveals who you are.
 
Old Dec 19th 2002, 7:38 pm
  #9  
Jim Battista
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: "Hundreds of Muslim Immigrants Rounded Up in Calif."

mrtravel wrote in
news:[email protected]:

    >
    >
    > bobzy wrote:
    >>
    >> Udall made a post the other day mentioning that he had heard of
    >> people being put in handcuffs during interviews - looks like he
    >> had a front seat view of what was about to crack wide open.
    >>
    >> The issue to me isn't quite so cut and dry as to merely consider
    >> that many of these people probably overstayed their visas or
    >> commited even worse crimes. The issue is that they were
    >> blind-sided: they were asked to register; they were not asked to
    >> turn themselves in for detention or deportation (at least this is
    >> what I understand from the news stories).
    >
    > If they were violating visas, I can't imagine why they thought it
    > would be OK to head on down to INS to register.

Probably they thought they were in status. Lord knows it's easy enough
to lose status through failure to do some obscure thing.

--
Jim Battista
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.
 
Old Dec 19th 2002, 8:16 pm
  #10  
James Miles
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: "Hundreds of Muslim Immigrants Rounded Up in Calif."

That sounds pretty contradicting. They are not radical yet you still
expect them to pour $ into terrorist groups. In other words, damned
if they do and damned if they don't.
I am all against *illegal* immigration and the enforcement of the
rules by the INS but you are just plain against all Muslims. Now what
is the difference between you and extremist xenophobes from all over
the world?

JM

Patrick wrote in message news:...
    > Originally posted by Stephen H Houchen
    > > http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...64&u=/nm/2002-
    > > 1219/ts_nm/at"]http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=564&u-
    > > =/nm/20021219/ts_nm/at[/url]
    > > tack_immigration_dc_3&printer=1
    >
    > Whats your point? An extreme muslim group declares war on America and
    > you think there is no enemy within. If these people were arrested there
    > had to be a reason - its not legal to victimise groups. Lets see what
    > happens with these people, if they are not radicals they will be set
    > free and this being America they will sue the government for millions of
    > dollars which they will then plough back into terrorist activities
    > against the government! If they were arrested because they are suspected
    > of something then they must go through the legal process.
    >
    > ]http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...u=/nm/2002121-
    > 9/ts_nm/attack_immigration_dc_3&printer=1[/url]
 
Old Dec 19th 2002, 8:20 pm
  #11  
Pagan Sex God
 
Patrick's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Living in Oblivion
Posts: 3,668
Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Hundreds of Muslim Immigrants Rounded Up in Calif."

Originally posted by Mrtravel
Patrick wrote:
    >
    > Whats your point? An extreme muslim group declares war on America and
    > you think there is no enemy within. If these people were arrested there
    > had to be a reason - its not legal to victimise groups. Lets see what
    > happens with these people, if they are not radicals they will be set
    > free and this being America they will sue the government for millions of
    > dollars which they will then plough back into terrorist activities
    > against the government!

What the hell are you are talking about. If they are not radicals, then
why would they put the money into terrorists activities?

I am sending you $50 so that you can go buy yourself a sense of humour!
Patrick is offline  
Old Dec 19th 2002, 8:22 pm
  #12  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 231
Aliluv is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

This reminds me of the time that one state (don't remember which) had sent out letters to those in violation of thier parole saying they had won a car. When they all showed up to claim their prize they arrested them.
I thought that was the smartest thing I had heard of.

It seems to me that if you are in violation of your visa you should get into trouble, even if they asked you to go down there.
Aliluv is offline  
Old Dec 19th 2002, 8:52 pm
  #13  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: uk
Posts: 536
abba48uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Now let me see if I have missed something here..........

1. Some people who are in the USA illegally will be deported. Hmmmmmm.......so far cant see a problem with that:
2. This particular group were "tricked" into coming forward. Hmmmm....dont have a problem with that either.
3. The group of people involved are Muslim aliens. Now let me see. Not ALL Muslims are enemies of the USA. However, most of the terrorist enemies of the USA ARE Muslim. (Here I have to pause for the knee jerk "racist" cry). If the foregoing statements are true (self evident) then to focus on Muslim illegals is simply common sense, not because they will ALL be potential terrorists, but because there are more LIKELY to be potential terrorists among that group than among any other.
I have nothing against Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Christians, or little green men from Mars, but when a Government has to discharge its prime function (the protection of its own citizens) and is simply using common sense methods to do so, it is quite beyond me why any law abiding citizen has a problem with it.
abba48uk is offline  
Old Dec 19th 2002, 9:08 pm
  #14  
Mrtravel
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: "Hundreds of Muslim Immigrants Rounded Up in Calif."

Patrick wrote:
    >
    > Originally posted by Mrtravel
    > > Patrick wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Whats your point? An extreme muslim group declares war on
    > > America and
    > > > you think there is no enemy within. If these people were
    > > arrested there
    > > > had to be a reason - its not legal to victimise groups. Lets see
    > > what
    > > > happens with these people, if they are not radicals they will be
    > > set
    > > > free and this being America they will sue the government for
    > > millions of
    > > > dollars which they will then plough back into terrorist
    > > activities
    > > > against the government!
    > >
    > > What the hell are you are talking about. If they are not
    > > radicals, then
    > > why would they put the money into terrorists activities?
    > >
    >
    > I am sending you $50 so that you can go buy yourself a sense of humour!

Let's take a poll...
How many people found, or did not find humor in this?
 
Old Dec 19th 2002, 9:59 pm
  #15  
Matta Harri
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: "Hundreds of Muslim Immigrants Rounded Up in Calif."

In article ,
abba48uk wrote:

    > If the foregoing statements are
    > true (self evident) then to focus on Muslim illegals is simply
    > common sense, not because they will ALL be potential terrorists,
    > but because there are more LIKELY to be potential terrorists among
    > that group than among any other.
    > I have nothing against Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Christians, or little
    > green men from Mars, but when a Government has to discharge its prime
    > function (the protection of its own citizens) and is simply using common
    > sense methods to do so, it is quite beyond me why any law abiding
    > citizen has a problem with it.

Of course, once you arrest 500 of them at one INS office, the chances
that they will come forward at any other office decrease pretty
substantially, wouldn't you say?
--
Matta
 

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.