Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Yippee!!! Fianlly a CPR!!! (And very tired!)

Wikiposts

Yippee!!! Fianlly a CPR!!! (And very tired!)

Old Jun 28th 2004, 4:29 am

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Yippee!!! Finally a CPR!!! (And very tired!)

Hi, all. Well, I got my happy ass out of bed at 4.15am today to get the 5.18am train down to Miami with the documents Off. Hernandez wanted, and he gave me the Conditional Permanent Residency stamp in my passport!! Yippee!!! No more USCIS for a year and 9 months!!!! Here's a low-down of our experience:

We had a restless night on Thursday cuz the neighbor next door doesn't work and seems to think that just cuz he stays awake all night, the rest of the world should too, and he blasts his music. We had a few hours sleep and got up early in time for the train. Our little car would never have made it all the way down there, and the parking's terrible. Got the train, and I was looking forward to coffee and breakfast at Wendy's when we got there, but it was closed and didn't open til 10am!!!!! Waaaahhh!!! Settled for a (not very nice) coffee from the gas station. We got into the building at around 8.50am, and our appointment was at 9.30. (I think the Infopass system has made a hell of a difference. I've been used to camping out overnight to be seen at that office before, and on Friday, there couldn't have been more than 50 people waiting around the back when there used to be about 300!!!) Anyway, we sat in the waiting room and got comfy. Poor Corey was nodding off and the train journey didn't do him any good, so he was also feeling sick. At 10.10, we were finally called.

We were led to a small office, and although Corey doesn't generally initiate conversation with people he doesn't know, this time he struck up a blinder and made the officer smile right away. There was a signed picture of the President & his wife on the wall, and Corey said, "Wow, have you actually met the big dog himself?" The officer chuckled and said, "I wish, but this isn't my office." They went on to talk about the officer whose room it actually was, and how he meets some pretty big people. We all got comfy, and Corey handed the officer the file with all the photocopies, while I explained what it was. He said, "Ok, we'll get to that in a minute, but for now, you can both just relax."

He opened our file and asked us each to confirm our address and the information on our birth certs. He didn't ask me any questions about Corey's info or vice versa, but I think he tried to catch us out by asking when we got married while he was looking at our marriage cert!! Luckily, I didn't have a brain fart, and I gave him the date straight away!

He asked for the original docs one by one, and mentally checked off the originals while looking at the copy in the file we gave him. He asked where Corey's tax transcripts were for 2002, and my jaw hit the floor when I realized we skipped from 2001 to 2003!!! Arrrrrrrggggghhhhh!!! I feel like such an idiot after thinking I'd been sooooo thorough!! I thought I'd ordered his transcripts for that year, but I hadn't! I felt like I could cry, and the officer said not to worry, but I would need to get them before I got the stamp. He also reviewed our I-864, which was a joint one in Corey's name but my income added. (We're using my income to meet the requirements as Corey's going to be going to school full time.) He said that was fine and we could do that, but I needed to fill out an I-864a. I explained that the instructions for that form specify that the sponsored immigrant should only fill that out if they're bringing children with them, and he agreed that it was confusing and said that he did need it. He also wanted a written explanation of what Corey's plans were and why he wasn't working. I didn't have a letter from my employer, as we have an internal self-service internet thingy at work where you can download all your salary info, start date, who your emergency contact is, etc, so I just made print-outs of those, and they were fine, but he still wanted an additional paystub or a letter from my employer. I only took two stubs, and he wanted three. I think he may have let the more minor things slide if we hadn't needed the transcripts and the I-864a, but as I had to go back anyway, he wanted to be on the safe side.

When he got to the medical part, he said that he didn't deal with K-1's very often, and wasn't too sure on the rules, so he would check. I explained their rule about filing within one year of having your K-1 medical, and as long as I did that, I wouldn't need another medical. He took my vaccination supplement, and said he would check on that. He did so, and came back telling me I was right, and because I was now all up-to-date on my vaccs, the supplement was fine.

I showed him the letter from our loopy landlay who couldn't get the date of my moving in correct, and he just waved his hand as if to say he's not that bothered by the incorrect date, just as long as we have proof that we rent the same house.

After he checked off all the other stuff, he had a brief look at the evidence of our relationship, opting for the copies rather than asking for originals. He saw the wedding invitation from Corey's uncle in Oklahoma, and asked me who that was. I told him, and said that we had also enclosed copies of our airline tickets to that wedding. He then sat back in his chair and asked Corey if he'd met my family, and he said yes, he'd met my mum and one of my brothers. The officer then said, "So.....meeting on the internet. That must be quite scary!" It freaked me out, cuz we hadn't told him that!! He must've seen notes in our file somewhere! He understood that a lot of people nowadays are doing that, so it was no surprise. He wanted to know how my parents dealt with my moving away to another country to be with Corey, and I told him that as long as I was happy, they were happy.

After the chat, he said that he really wanted to approve us but he HAD to have those additional documents, and if we could get back there with them before he left for the day, he'd approve us. I said it'd be too much of a rush to try and get everything done, so he told me to come back at 7am on Monday. Sooooooo, we got everything done, and I went back this morning. Off. Hernandez was very thorough, and gave me the information I needed for lifting the conditions, and even put the dates down to indicate what my I-751 filing window was. He also took away my EAD and said I could expect my Greencard in 1-3 months. He advised me to apply with SS in about a month to get the legend removed from my Social Security.

This officer had a great balance of qualities. He was friendly, but not too chummy, professional, but not grumpy or TOO strict, and he didn't lose his rag when we didn't have the docs he wanted on Friday. He was more concerned about getting us done and over with as soon as he could so he wouldn't have to prolong our approval. After I was done today, I visited the ladies room, and when I went to get the elevator, he standing behind me waiting for it too, and he said, "Ok, I don't know if anyone told you, but I have to follow you home now!" He cracked up laughing and said, "No, not really!"

All in all, a very tiring but not bad experience. I'm glad we got the officer we had, and I'm glad that Corey did so well. He was worrying that he'd stumble over his words because he was nervous, but he did us both proud. Here's to love, and the next year and nine months USCIS FREE!!!!!!!!!

Thank you to everyone here who put up with my constant whining about my EAD and AOS. I'll be quiet for quite some time now!!!

Kate. xxxxx

Last edited by katesuiter1; Jun 28th 2004 at 4:53 am.
Old Jun 28th 2004, 4:40 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yippee!!! Fianlly a CPR!!! (And very tired!)

Congratulations, Kate and Corey

Now be a dear and post that experience for prosperity on:

http://www.kamya.com/interview/intro.html

Rita
Old Jun 28th 2004, 4:41 am
kud
BE Enthusiast

kud is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations!

Enjoy the break from INS
Old Jun 28th 2004, 5:13 am
Capt. Tuttle

>Thank you to everyone here who
    >put up with my constant whining about my EAD and AOS. I'll be quiet for
    >quite some time now!!!
    >Kate. xxxxx
    >
Don't be a stranger here!! I'm sure there are others who could use the
knowledge you gained.

Old Jun 28th 2004, 5:19 am
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute

Yay you finally got it Kate! Thanks for sharing your experience, it makes me a little less nervous when I read a positive experience like yours Can we have the same officer at our interview too, please, pleeeease?

Congrats to you and Corey!

Juliet
Old Jun 28th 2004, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations Kate and Corey!

Elaine
Old Jun 28th 2004, 5:30 am

Originally posted by Rete
Congratulations, Kate and Corey

Now be a dear and post that experience for prosperity on:

http://www.kamya.com/interview/intro.html

Rita
Just did that! Been dying to do that for ages, too, cuz it's horrible for people who don't have really recent experiences to read about!

Kate. xxxxx
Old Jun 28th 2004, 5:30 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, Kate and Corey! Yayyy!

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jun 28th 2004, 5:35 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yippee!!! Finally a CPR!!! (And very tired!)

[i]Thank you to everyone here who put up with my constant whining about my EAD and AOS. I'll be quiet for quite some time now!!!
No really !!! who would do such a thing... much congratulatins Katie.. could not have happened to a nicer person...
Old Jun 28th 2004, 5:41 am
Forum Regular

waitingforAOS has a spectacular aura aboutwaitingforAOS has a spectacular aura aboutwaitingforAOS has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by katesuiter1
Just did that! Been dying to do that for ages, too, cuz it's horrible for people who don't have really recent experiences to read about!

Kate. xxxxx
Congrats Katie. That is sure one great news. Good luck.
Old Jun 28th 2004, 5:52 am
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

Hi, all. Well, I got my happy ass out of bed at 4.15am today to get the 5.18am train down to Miami with the documents Off. Hernandez wanted, and he gave me the Conditional Permanent Residency stamp in my passport!! Yippee!!! No more USCIS for a year and 9 months!!!! Here's a low-down of our experience:
Well done, Kate and Corey
Old Jun 28th 2004, 6:12 am

Originally posted by ray6
Katie.. could not have happened to a nicer person...
Aww, fanks, Ray!!! I think the mosquitos will agree that I'm nice...and tasty, that is! I counted 4 bites on Friday, and another 5 fresh ones today! I don't know what it is. I must be like a walking feast to them, and I think I'm allergic to them, too. I don't just get a little red bump, but the whole area swells up like a balloon. Right now I look as though I have extra boobs on my arms!!!

Thanks for all the best wishes, everyone, and what the heck was I worrying about!?????

Kate. xxxx
Old Jun 28th 2004, 6:17 am
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute

Aww, fanks, Ray!!! I think the mosquitos will agree that I'm nice...and tasty, that is! I counted 4 bites on Friday, and another 5 fresh ones today! I don't know what it is. I must be like a walking feast to them, and I think I'm allergic to them, too. I don't just get a little red bump, but the whole area swells up like a balloon. Right now I look as though I have extra boobs on my arms!!!
Yikes and I thought my quarter-sized bumps were bad. Extra boobs on your arms? ROTFL!!! Sounds like one of those Dewannawanga gals on Star Wars

Juliet
Old Jun 28th 2004, 6:17 am
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Congratulations Kate!!!!!

I'm glad it all turned out so well for you in the end!

Best wishes to you and Corey.

Tam
Old Jun 28th 2004, 6:50 am
Boise, ID

katie4998 has a brilliant futurekatie4998 has a brilliant futurekatie4998 has a brilliant futurekatie4998 has a brilliant futurekatie4998 has a brilliant futurekatie4998 has a brilliant future

Yay! Congrats, Kate & Corey!! Great News! We're all VERY jealous of the fact that you're free of the USCIS for a while

Now, go take a nap!

~Katie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.