Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Is it worth entertaining the idea of a work visa given my situation?

Is it worth entertaining the idea of a work visa given my situation?

Old Oct 11th 2013, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

Brodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really nice
Default Is it worth entertaining the idea of a work visa given my situation?

I am a 29 year old British citizen. I have a degree in History & Anthropology as well as an FdA in Digital Media Design. I have always lived in London and all my family are in the UK. I am currently doing an internship with a company in London and freelancing on the side to make some extra money.

A few months ago I emailed some design agencies in the US asking about possible internships. I since found out that I would not qualify for any internship visa as it is over 12 months since I finished university, so I gave up on that idea.

However, I am currently on holiday in New Orleans and I got an email from one of the companies I contacted saying that they were impressed with my work and might have a job opportunity for me. I am going to visit them tomorrow to see what the job entails etc.

I have read through Pulaski's wiki page and the work visa seems very difficult to get. Is it even worth me entertaining the possibility of anything coming from this? I don't already have a lot of experience in the field and although I feel I am good at my job, I would not consider my skills to be in short supply. I don't want to get my hopes up and/or waste anyones time tomorrow.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 6:17 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it worth entertaining the idea of a work visa given my situation?

Since you have a degree, if they feel that the job can meet the criteria for an H1B or any work other visa then it's a possibility. That said, they/you will certainly need to consult lawyers - since they may not even be aware how much it will cost them ($5k+)

Last edited by civilservant; Oct 11th 2013 at 6:19 pm.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 6:19 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it worth entertaining the idea of a work visa given my situation?

Originally Posted by Brodel
Is it even worth me entertaining the possibility of anything coming from this?

I don't want to get my hopes up and/or waste anyones time tomorrow.
I say go to the interview, why not? You never know what contacts you'll make or where it will lead. You probably won't want to get your hopes up, though, as you are right...a work visa to the USA is difficult to get. During the interview, you will want to ask the employer which visa he intends to petition you for. The burden is on the employer to obtain your visa for you, so if he has no clue, then it's probably not going to happen. But I'd definitely go to the interview, just for kicks.

Rene
Old Oct 11th 2013, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

Brodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really nice

Thanks for the quick replies! They are a very small advertising agency, so I would be surprised if they are fully aware of what is involved in getting a work visa.

I hate to repeat questions that I'm sure have been asked a number of times, but is there a ball park figure for how long a visa process may take? I'd like to mention to them that I might not be available for a certain number of months or however long it takes.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 6:30 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I hate to repeat questions that I'm sure have been asked a number of times, but is there a ball park figure for how long a visa process may take? I'd like to mention to them that I might not be available for a certain number of months or however long it takes.
If they are thinking of an H1B, then the employer needs to file the petition on April 1, 2014, for your start date of October 2014.

Rene
Old Oct 11th 2013, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If they are thinking of an H1B, then the employer needs to file the petition on April 1, 2014, for your start date of October 2014.

Rene
wow, ok. so it would be a year away at the earliest
I'd be surprised if they can or are willing to wait that long, like you said though I may as well go along as you never know.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 6:39 pm

wow, ok. so it would be a year away at the earliest
I'd be surprised if they can or are willing to wait that long, like you said though I may as well go along as you never know.
I'm just curious, does this company know you need sponsorship, or do they think you already have permission to work in the USA?

Rene
Old Oct 11th 2013, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

I'm just curious, does this company know you need sponsorship, or do they think you already have permission to work in the USA?

Rene
I'm not certain to be honest. I get the impression that they haven't really considered the need for a work visa.
I first contacted them asking about an internship 2/3 months ago. I clearly stated I lived in the UK and was a British Citizen at the time, then yesterday afternoon I received an email from them about a possible work opportunity. I replied saying I happened to be in nola this week and said again that I was living in the UK and that I'm a Brit. I didn't explicitly say I don't have a work visa. I assumed it was obvious, but maybe I should email them again to clarify.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 6:47 pm

I'm not certain to be honest. I get the impression that they haven't really considered the need for a work visa.
I first contacted them asking about an internship 2/3 months ago. I clearly stated I lived in the UK and was a British Citizen at the time, then yesterday afternoon I received an email from them about a possible work opportunity. I replied saying I happened to be in nola this week and said again that I was living in the UK and that I'm a Brit. I didn't explicitly say I don't have a work visa. I assumed it was obvious, but maybe I should email them again to clarify.
Nah, just go in person to the interview and present yourself as though you assume they will get you a work visa. When the topic comes up, your question will be "For which employment visa will you be petitioning?" That is where the employer will either say "Oh, this one..." and will know what he's doing, or say "Huh?? You can't start working next week? Why not?" In which case, you probably won't get the job.

Rene
Old Oct 11th 2013, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

Nah, just go in person to the interview and present yourself as though you assume they will get you a work visa. When the topic comes up, your question will be "For which employment visa will you be petitioning?" That is where the employer will either say "Oh, this one..." and will know what he's doing, or say "Huh?? You can't start working next week? Why not?" In which case, you probably won't get the job.

Rene
haha, well it's all pretty informal I think and it's about a possible opportunity, that's all I know. I think it'll be a bit of a show stopper saying I'm not free until October 2014 though.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 7:00 pm

I think it'll be a bit of a show stopper saying I'm not free until October 2014 though.
But you won't be wording your response like that, though. So it won't sound as bad. If the employer asks "when can you start?" That will be your cue to ask which work visa he'll be petitioning you for, as that's what will determine your start date. Put the ball back in the employer's court without making any negative suggestions (such as "I can't start until next October"). See what I mean?

Rene
Old Oct 11th 2013, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

But you won't be wording your response like that, though. So it won't sound as bad. If the employer asks "when can you start?" That will be your cue to ask which work visa he'll be petitioning you for, as that's what will determine your start date. Put the ball back in the employer's court without making any negative suggestions (such as "I can't start until next October"). See what I mean?

Rene
Yea, I see where you are coming from. I'm assuming that's the only visa that they could petition for though realistically? Do you know of others that might have an earlier start date?
Old Oct 11th 2013, 7:15 pm

Yea, I see where you are coming from. I'm assuming that's the only visa that they could petition for though realistically? Do you know of others that might have an earlier start date?
You're not doing an inter-company transfer, so L visa is out. If you have outstanding capabilities in your field, perhaps an O visa (specialty visa), which is faster. I doubt a seasonal work visa is fitting.

All the visa types are listed here, have a look: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

Rene
Old Oct 11th 2013, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

You're not doing an inter-company transfer, so L visa is out. If you have outstanding capabilities in your field, perhaps an O visa (specialty visa), which is faster. I doubt a seasonal work visa is fitting.

All the visa types are listed here, have a look: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

Rene
I don't think I have outstanding capabilities in my field, I'll keep reading up about the options. Thanks again for all the info!
Old Oct 11th 2013, 7:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe they want to open a branch in the UK and want to hire you there and then later transfer you to the US on a L-1 visa. Anything is possible and you won't know if you don't attend the interview.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.