Worried about The I 864

Old May 30th 2011, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

RichandLaura2USA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Worried about The I 864

My wfe is the USC and we are thinking of moving to USA.
I have read and gathered all papers to file the I 130 but I am worried about the I 864. My wife has I L R for the UK and has worked here so has no USA domicile. I have read some rules but they are still fuzzy. Can we use in laws to sponsor us. They have US everything needed.

We also have 2 children both dual citizenship

Can anyone give tips on their own experiences
Old May 30th 2011, 10:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worried about The I 864

She has to show intent, which is easy enough to do.

You can use assets, x3 over a salary short fall if you want, but if you still need a co-sponsor, any USC or LPR permanently living in the US can do it, but you ought to let them understand exactly what they are signing up for...there's more info on this in the wiki...along with a good guide for a lot of the info you're looking for. It's up top in the blue bar of links.
Old May 31st 2011, 3:23 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RichandLaura2USA
My wife has I L R for the UK and has worked here so has no USA domicile.
She doesn't need to show domicile. She can show intent to domicile - which, by the way, includes not only her plans to return to the US but also her plans to wrap up her affairs in the UK.

Can we use in laws to sponsor us.
Your wife must be your sponsor, even if she doesn't qualify financially. Your wife and children do not need sponsorship as they are US citizens. Your in-laws can be your joint sponsor, and must demonstrate income at or above the 125% poverty level for their household + you. If, for example, it's just the two of them at home, then they need income sufficient for 3 people (2 of them + you). If they don't have sufficient income, they can use assets at 5x the amount otherwise required.

Your wife must file an I-864; your in-laws must file an I-864 and, possibly, also an I-864A.

Also... unrelated to finances, your USC children must have US passports to enter the US.

Ian
Old May 31st 2011, 3:57 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

My wfe is the USC and we are thinking of moving to USA.
I have read and gathered all papers to file the I 130 but I am worried about the I 864. My wife has I L R for the UK and has worked here so has no USA domicile. I have read some rules but they are still fuzzy. Can we use in laws to sponsor us. They have US everything needed.

We also have 2 children both dual citizenship

Can anyone give tips on their own experiences
First please read the wiki, which has the information about domicile that you need.
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/DCF_I-...led_In_London_

Many people have used a US relative as a Joint Sponsor in situations like yours.

Your wife should strongly consider applying for UK citizenship before she leaves.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

RichandLaura2USA is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
She doesn't need to show domicile. She can show intent to domicile - which, by the way, includes not only her plans to return to the US but also her plans to wrap up her affairs in the UK.

Your wife must be your sponsor, even if she doesn't qualify financially. Your wife and children do not need sponsorship as they are US citizens. Your in-laws can be your joint sponsor, and must demonstrate income at or above the 125% poverty level for their household + you. If, for example, it's just the two of them at home, then they need income sufficient for 3 people (2 of them + you). If they don't have sufficient income, they can use assets at 5x the amount otherwise required.

Your wife must file an I-864; your in-laws must file an I-864 and, possibly, also an I-864A.

Also... unrelated to finances, your USC children must have US passports to enter the US.

Ian
Originally Posted by meauxna
First please read the wiki, which has the information about domicile that you need.
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/DCF_I-...led_In_London_

Many people have used a US relative as a Joint Sponsor in situations like yours.

Your wife should strongly consider applying for UK citizenship before she leaves.
So thanks for your replies

can we go ahead and submit the I 130 and get the I 864 ready for the interview stage?

thats what appears to be the case on reading but personal experiences you have had are every bit as effective for help

thanks
Old Jun 1st 2011, 10:58 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Socan we go ahead and submit the I 130 and get the I 864 ready for the interview stage?
Yes.

Rene
Old Jun 1st 2011, 11:05 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

So thanks for your replies

can we go ahead and submit the I 130 and get the I 864 ready for the interview stage?

thats what appears to be the case on reading but personal experiences you have had are every bit as effective for help

thanks
Yep, it will take a couple/few months for the I-130 approval, so you have time to do any tax filing needed, order documents, and get the I-864(s) prepared.

You can read through the threads with 'DCF' in the title to get a broad range or personal experiences, there are a couple of long ones running right now.

Good luck, and double & triple check.. first time is the hardest.

Top Tip: make a photocopy of everything you submit so you can keep a 'shadow' copy of your immigration file for yourself. It will come in handy.