Working and Visas

Old Dec 18th 2022, 12:05 am
Just Joined

RSave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working and Visas

Hi there, just wondering if anyone has some more information about the process of working / getting the ability to work in the United States from the UK. Are all US jobs able to hire international employees or is it only select areas / industries that do this. I am mainly interested in pursuing a career within IT if this helps. I have an IT background anyways.
Old Dec 18th 2022, 1:24 am
Forum Regular

roberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working and Visas

Read this:

REALLY, READ ME: Want to Live & Work in the US?

It will give you the basics of the ways you can live/work in the US.
Old Dec 18th 2022, 1:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RSave
Hi there, just wondering if anyone has some more information about the process of working / getting the ability to work in the United States from the UK. Are all US jobs able to hire international employees or is it only select areas / industries that do this. I am mainly interested in pursuing a career within IT if this helps. I have an IT background anyways.
In general US companies are able to recruit foreign workers if they a) the jobs meet the criteria to qualify for a work visa and b) the workers meets the criteria needed to apply.

Not all jobs qualify for a work visa; eg manual labor, unskilled, those that do not require a degree etc (different visas have different requirements).

The majority of foreign workers who obtain visa are experienced in their field. Note that companies have to sponsor visas and it takes costs and time to do so.
Old Dec 18th 2022, 2:36 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... I am mainly interested in pursuing a career within IT if this helps. I have an IT background anyways.
This makes it sound you are near entry level? Do you have a degree in an IT specialty already?
Old Dec 30th 2022, 12:13 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
This makes it sound you are near entry level? Do you have a degree in an IT specialty already?
I am currently studying within an IT field to gain better experience / have an IT specialty however will any companies train me whilst I am learning?
Old Dec 30th 2022, 12:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
In general US companies are able to recruit foreign workers if they a) the jobs meet the criteria to qualify for a work visa and b) the workers meets the criteria needed to apply.

Not all jobs qualify for a work visa; eg manual labor, unskilled, those that do not require a degree etc (different visas have different requirements).

The majority of foreign workers who obtain visa are experienced in their field. Note that companies have to sponsor visas and it takes costs and time to do so.
Would there be any roles that hire foreign workers more than others? Such as truck drivers, manual labor etc
Old Dec 30th 2022, 1:26 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Would there be any roles that hire foreign workers more than others? Such as truck drivers, manual labor etc
Other than certain types of seasonal farm and hospitality labour, there are no US visas/ visa types available for unskilled, semi-skilled labour, or skilled trades; this means no visas for plumbers, electricians, truck drivers, etc. In other words, US work visas generally have a requirement of being for graduates, or those having equivalent experience at a rate of three years experience per year of undergraduate study.

US bachelor's degrees require four years of study, therefore unless you have credits for years of college (uni) study, you will need a minimum of twelve years of work experience to meet the "experience equivalent to a degree" requirement.

At the top of this list for hiring foreign workers to work in the US are the tech sector and consulting companies. However within that, the numbers are skewed towards hiring from Asian countries.

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 30th 2022 at 1:34 am.
Old Dec 30th 2022, 1:30 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I presume you are looking for a shortcut to enable you to be with your fiancée sooner. The best plan is to marry asap and start the spouse visa process.
Old Dec 30th 2022, 1:48 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I presume you are looking for a shortcut to enable you to be with your fiancée sooner. The best plan is to marry asap and start the spouse visa process.
Having now read previous posts, I believe you are correct and agree with your assessment 100% No shortcuts. I remember desperately searching around on the same issue 20 years ago! Ended up doing Fiance visa