Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Working in the US with a criminal record

Working in the US with a criminal record

Old Sep 17th 2018, 11:50 pm
Just Joined

Kirstyb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working in the US with a criminal record

Hi Guys, just after some help. I have a non immigrant visa waiver of ineligibility ( 5 years). In 3 years time, I am thinking of working in the US, I have a bachelors degree. I may have a place to work, is this doable with a criminal record? What would I apply for? Any info would be helpful!
Old Sep 18th 2018, 11:51 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Originally Posted by Kirstyb
Hi Guys, just after some help. I have a non immigrant visa waiver of ineligibility ( 5 years). In 3 years time, I am thinking of working in the US, I have a bachelors degree. I may have a place to work, is this doable with a criminal record? What would I apply for? Any info would be helpful!
You are best off starting a new thread for that query, rather than taking this one off topic. Perhaps one of the mods can move your post, you'll then get much more relevant and informed responses.

In general, yes it is doable provided you meet the qualifying criteria for a working visa. You personally don't apply for anything though. It's the employer that has to initiate the process and it is likely going to be slow and expensive.
Old Sep 18th 2018, 1:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Working in the US with a criminal record

Your Employer ill need to know as it will extend the process somewhat.
Old Sep 19th 2018, 11:50 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in the US with a criminal record

Depends on the criminal record, but in all likelihood because you have already been given a waiver, yes it's possible. If it was a new employer, it would most likely be an H1-B, which would be an April application for an October start - if you were successful in the lottery which is about a 1 in 4 shot right now and could get worse.