Working in the US

Old Oct 3rd 2011, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

Eagle_Eyes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working in the US

Hello,

I am currently in the process of securing a spouse visa. My interview is coming up on 31 October - spooky - and I am confident that I will be successful !

I have a few questions which I trust someone can answer.

1. Is the visa valid for 6 months?
2. What visa am I given on my arrival in the States and how long does that one last?
3. Do I need anything more than a social security number in order to work?

Thanks!
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 1:16 pm
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in the US

Assuming you are going for a CR-1 visa, I believe you are correct that you have six months in which to enter the US.

Once you arrive you become a PR automatically, and your GC will be mailed to you. You will need your SSN and most employers will want to see your GC before you can start work.

This might be helpful - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/CR-1
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 2:14 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eagle_Eyes
1. Is the visa valid for 6 months?
Yes... you must enter the US within 6 months.

2. What visa am I given on my arrival in the States and how long does that one last?
You aren't given any sort of visa upon arrival. The visa you have will be endorsed - and that endorsement is the legal equivalent of a Green Card. The physical GC will come in the mail some weeks later.

3. Do I need anything more than a social security number in order to work?
To work, your GC (or endorsed visa) is sufficient. To get paid, however, you'll need a SSN.

Ian
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 2:49 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

A visa is a travel document that allows you to travel to the country that issues the visa and request entry to that country. If you are granted entry you do not need a visa any longer - you're there already.

Regards, JEff

Old Oct 3rd 2011, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

Eagle_Eyes is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to all for your replies.

Mine is actually an IR-1 visa but I think I still have 6 months to enter the US.

What is 'PR'? Something to do with my status in the US, I would wager.

It's a relief I don't have to splash out any more money for a job visa.

On my last form which I sent to the US Embassy, there was a section asking if I wanted SSN. I ticked 'yes' so I should have that not too long after I've arrived.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 2:56 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

You have 6 months to leave your country on continuous travel to the US. Mr.F has just posted interesting information about this in another thread.
Mine is actually an IR-1 visa but I think I still have 6 months to enter the US.

You win the wager. 'PR' is the acronym for Permanent Resident. You will become a PR upon entry to the USA using your IR-1 visa.
What is 'PR'? Something to do with my status in the US, I would wager.

You should receive your SS card in 3-4 weeks. If a few more weeks go by and it hasn't arrived, visit your local SSA office and apply. Sometimes checking the box on the DS-230 doesn't work as intended.
On my last form which I sent to the US Embassy, there was a section asking if I wanted SSN. I ticked 'yes' so I should have that not too long after I've arrived.
Regards, JEff