Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Working in the US for 1-2 Years - No Degree

Working in the US for 1-2 Years - No Degree

Old Sep 28th 2014, 5:53 pm
Just Joined

smartk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working in the US for 1-2 Years - No Degree

Hello,

I am pretty sure there are already lots of threads on this, but I am very new to this and hoped for some advice based on my personal circumstances.

I am 24 and looking for advice about working in the US for 1-2 years.

After several trips to the US, I would really like to work in the States possibly New York or San Francisco.

My background:

I decided University wasn't for me so I finished my A Levels and went straight into work as I wanted to work my way up within a company and earn while I found out what I wanted to do, which I did and now have been working in Marketing for nearly 5 years. While at work I attended a night school and have a CIM Professional Certificate in Marketing and my current role is a Digital Account Executive.

However from the research I have done so far it seems like a University Degree is quite important!

So question 1 - Am I likely to be considered for a role without one?

Question 2 - If not, does anyone know of any internationally recognised qualifications I could look into to help my application? - I have been sent this recently and don't mind the financial investment if it is worth it - InterActive - Online Marketing Courses - MA in Marketing - London, UK

I would really appreciate any help and advice or this!

Many thanks,
Katy
Old Sep 28th 2014, 6:30 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in the US for 1-2 Years - No Degree

Originally Posted by smartk
However from the research I have done so far it seems like a University Degree is quite important!
FWIW, I think a university degree is important regardless of whether or not you get a US visa out of it. Further, if you're looking at an H-1B employment-based visa, then not only must you have a degree (or minimum 12 years experience) but the job must also require a university degree.

Generally speaking, there are 3 routes to the US: family-based, employment-based, and investment-based. Start here. If you qualify for a visa, go for it.

Yes - but your options are, decidedly, fewer.

Question 2 - If not, does anyone know of any internationally recognised qualifications I could look into to help my application?
Word of advice... do what you enjoy doing. Don't change the course of your life in the hope that there's an off chance of getting a US visa at the end of it. Many people do alter their lives and still don't ever get to the US... and then all they've done is wasted several years.

Anyway... read, digest, read again, and then ask questions. That's the best way to get started.

Ian
Old Sep 28th 2014, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

smarty156 has a reputation beyond reputesmarty156 has a reputation beyond reputesmarty156 has a reputation beyond reputesmarty156 has a reputation beyond reputesmarty156 has a reputation beyond reputesmarty156 has a reputation beyond reputesmarty156 has a reputation beyond reputesmarty156 has a reputation beyond reputesmarty156 has a reputation beyond reputesmarty156 has a reputation beyond reputesmarty156 has a reputation beyond repute

My wife has just got an H1B and she doesn't have a degree. She is however a qualified accountant with lots of experience. Her new firm said her ACCA professional qualification was equivalent to a Masters degree and the petition went through without a query. If it had been queried then her 15 years experience would have been used as qualification equivalent.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 5:28 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smartk
Hello,

I am pretty sure there are already lots of threads on this, but I am very new to this and hoped for some advice based on my personal circumstances.

I am 24 and looking for advice about working in the US for 1-2 years.

After several trips to the US, I would really like to work in the States possibly New York or San Francisco.

My background:

I decided University wasn't for me so I finished my A Levels and went straight into work as I wanted to work my way up within a company and earn while I found out what I wanted to do, which I did and now have been working in Marketing for nearly 5 years. While at work I attended a night school and have a CIM Professional Certificate in Marketing and my current role is a Digital Account Executive.

Question 2 - If not, does anyone know of any internationally recognised qualifications I could look into to help my application? - I have been sent this recently and don't mind the financial investment if it is worth it - InterActive - Online Marketing Courses - MA in Marketing - London, UK

I would really appreciate any help and advice or this!

Many thanks,
Katy
RE: to your question No. 2, you can get a start by finding a university to attend in the field you want to pursue. ]And see how it goes. If you like it you may want to stay the duration or if not you can always bail. Some universities like international students.

Last edited by Noorah101; Sep 29th 2014 at 7:03 am.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 1:55 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

If I might summarize the advice given so far in the context of your specific question: it is highly unlikely that you can be hired without a degree and less than 12 years experience, and the amount of effort you'd have to put in to make yourself hireable makes little or no sense if you only want 1-2yrs work. Sorry.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 3:19 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If I might summarize the advice given so far in the context of your specific question: it is highly unlikely that you can be hired without a degree and less than 12 years experience, and the amount of effort you'd have to put in to make yourself hireable makes little or no sense if you only want 1-2yrs work. Sorry.
and how likely is it that an employer would pay the thousands of dollars to get you a visa when you would be clearing off after a couple of years.. 0.0001%?
Old Sep 30th 2014, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

I have a GC now so no need for employer sponsorship, but I have struggled massively without a degree here. I have 13 years of experience in my field, but unfortunately due to the automated screening processes most HR departments use, I fall at the first hurdle when applying for new jobs. I would highly recommend you get a degree. You could have your CIM assessed by an agency such as ECE, they will 'translate' the qualification for you to prove to employers that it is equivalent to a degree (or whatever).
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

londonboy450 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am just wondering, I am considering transfer from E2 to F1 to do a degree and then apply for EAD. Will i be able to get a GC if i get a job after my degree
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 9:08 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by londonboy450
I am just wondering, I am considering transfer from E2 to F1 to do a degree and then apply for EAD. Will i be able to get a GC if i get a job after my degree
It's up to the employer whether to sponsor you for a green card or not. It's not automatic.

Rene
Old Oct 5th 2014, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

Both parents on E2 Visa. Mother has EAD, Can my father apply for GC on my mother's belief as she works for his company and on payroll and how long will it take to approve
Old Oct 5th 2014, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
It's up to the employer whether to sponsor you for a green card or not. It's not automatic.

Rene
Thanks Rene, for the reply