Wikiposts

Working on Tourist Visa

Old May 8th 2002, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

Aliluv is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working on Tourist Visa

I have a question, my fiance has worked here and there and he is here on a tourist visa. He has not used a social security number, the people who hire him know he is not allowed to work however he cashes his checks with his passport number.
We are getting married soon and I am not sure what to do, will the INS run a check for bank accounts in his name? Could they find out he has worked?
Old May 8th 2002, 5:20 pm
Mrtravel

Default Re: Working on Tourist Visa

It's quite simple. When possible, don't lie to the INS. If he didn't use fake
documents or lie about being work eligible, then he has NOTHING to lose by being
honest. If he is not honest, in this case, he PROBABLY won't get in trouble, but WHY
take that chance?? Remember, the penalty for fraud can be a lifetime ban.

Aliluv wrote:
    >
    > I have a question, my fiance has worked here and there and he is here on a tourist
    > visa. He has not used a social security number, the people who hire him know he is
    > not allowed to work however he cashes his checks with his passport number. We are
    > getting married soon and I am not sure what to do, will the INS run a check for
    > bank accounts in his name? Could they find out he has worked?
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old May 8th 2002, 6:20 pm
Shelley

When you complete his INS paperwork, he should admit to all the work he did, because
lying to the INS will cause his application to be denied, but illegal work is
forgiven for spouses of US citizens. Take Care. Shelley

"Aliluv" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I have a question, my fiance has worked here and there and he is here on a tourist
    > visa. He has not used a social security number, the people who hire him know he is
    > not allowed to work however he cashes his checks with his passport number. We are
    > getting married soon and I am not sure what to do, will the INS run a check for
    > bank accounts in his name? Could they find out he has worked?
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old May 8th 2002, 9:20 pm
Des

If he has worked illegally on a tourist visa, but not overstayed said tourist visa
for more than 180 days, just get married and file for AOS asap. There are forms that
will require him to list his previous employers and admit to his illegal work.
However, as he has not committed fraud by using a false SSN, it looks like one of
those cases that INS would forgive upon marriage. The worst thing you could do is to
hide the illegal work. Always be truthful. Also, if he overstayed his tourist visa
for more than 180 days, be careful about his leaving the country between filing for
AOS and his actual adjustment as he could be subject to a ban. IF his visa has always
been valid and the only problem was working on a tourist visa, then just get married
and file for AOS. There is a great website which will give you all the info on
tourist adjustment - and the 30-60 day rule (i.e. you are safest to marry 60 days+
after his entry on toursit visa) - which some of the posters usually have attached to
their signatures. Just search for the "Doc Steen" website.

- Des

Old May 9th 2002, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

Aliluv is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks you guys. He had overstayed his Visa by 20 days but it was becuase of Sept 11th so I am sure we are fine. I won't lie to INS he only worked a couple of times here and their like 8 or 9 days out of 6 months so we will report that just incase.

Thanks for all youir help guys!

Ali