Wikiposts

Work in US without degree?

Old May 25th 2001, 2:46 pm
Serge

Hi. I would appreciate if someone could help me with this. I talked to a couple of
lawyers but couldn't find a solution.

I am a foreign student on an F-1 visa. For financial reasons I do not study for a
degree, I take some Continuing Education courses in NYC. I also work part-time
"on-campus" for my school as a computer lab technician. Recently my boss offered me a
full-time position. He asked me if there is any way for them to assist me in getting
a status that would allow me to work full-time. I do not have and will not get a
degree or a 12 years work experience I need for an H-1.

Do you know if there is an alternative? I read about this 245(i) law that makes it
easier to get a Green Card for illegal aliens whose employer wants to sponsor them.
Does this law affect legal aliens in any way?

Thanks in advance.

Old May 30th 2001, 1:06 pm
Serge

This is me again. OK, how about applying for an EB3 green card? As a skilled worker.
I can prove 2 years of computer related experience. The job also requires knowledge
of graphic software and I have a certificate in that... My school advertizes for this
position and generally they are having hard time finding qualified people for the
kind of money they are paying. I'm trying to get more information on RIR, does that
apply somehow?

Old May 31st 2001, 1:35 am
Andrew M. Wilson

Dear Serge,

If you are Canadian, you may qualify to obtain work status in the United States
through NAFTA.

If you are not Canadian, the J visa may be the best strategy for you, although it
only gives you 18 months and it does not lead into any other long term options.
However, if the employer is willing, while you are on your J, you could pursue the
green card process through labor certification.

For more information on your options and an overview of our immigration categories,
please feel free to check out my firm's web site at www.srs-usvisa.com

Regards,

Andrew M. Wilson, Esq. [email protected]

"Serge" <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old May 31st 2001, 2:57 pm
Serge

Thanks a lot, I'll look into J visa options.