Wikiposts

Work Permit I-765

Old May 8th 2004, 9:11 am
Just Joined

joepopuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work Permit I-765

As it was helpful for me to see there were people other than me going through the process, I thought I'd drop those who are interested a line to say I've just received my Work Permit I-765.

I received a letter from USCIS on Friday, April 30 (2004) saying I should go to Cleveland's Federal Building on "a Tuesday" between 8am-1pm before May 15th. That meant I had 2 dates to choose from. My wife and I went down there first thing on Tuesday (May 4th) and waited in the lobby with about 25 other people who all turned out to be there for different reasons. Security would only let us through at exactly 8am. We went to room 501 (on the 5th floor... in case you were wondering) and were asked if we had an appointment letter (which we did) so I was told to put it "in the tray by that door" and wait until my name was called.

There seemed to be a variety of official (and some unofficial) people looking through these letters, although several official-looking people came and removed letters ona number of occasions. After only about an hour my name was called with one other guy's name (from the door at the far left of the room - I'm glad I was listening - I might not have caught it) and we went through the door into a little room off a corridor just behind. I sat down in a chair I was told not to move (which I did - doh!), my picture was taken and my right index finger was printed. My work permit was then handed to me (a laminated credit-card sized ID card with me, my finger print and dates on - it's valid for one year) and I went on my way knowing exactly what my previously-paid $120+$50 was spent on....

All in all, it was a painless process. Good luck with all your future applications!