Wikiposts

Work authorisation question

Old Jun 9th 2004, 6:19 am
Just Joined

ihateemo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work authorisation question

I am currently on a K-1 visa and my 90 day work authorisation is due to expire on the 22nd June.

I will be applying for AoS very shortly, but it took me over a month to get my SS# and nearly 2 months just to find a job - the problem is that since my authorisation is due to expire, I will have to quit in under two weeks if I am hired.

Is there anyway to expediate the EAD application while my AoS is pending? Would going to the field office in San Antonio in person help (ie. would they be likely to speed up the process or even approve a temporary EAD?)?
Old Jun 9th 2004, 7:28 am
USCIS Victim

YtsejaM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Work authorisation question

Originally posted by ihateemo
I am currently on a K-1 visa and my 90 day work authorisation is due to expire on the 22nd June.

I will be applying for AoS very shortly, but it took me over a month to get my SS# and nearly 2 months just to find a job - the problem is that since my authorisation is due to expire, I will have to quit in under two weeks if I am hired.

Is there anyway to expediate the EAD application while my AoS is pending? Would going to the field office in San Antonio in person help (ie. would they be likely to speed up the process or even approve a temporary EAD?)?
Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do to expedite your EAD. That's one of the pitfalls to getting a temporary 90 day EAD on K1 entry-- it will expire before you get your 1 year EAD. Perhaps you can strike a deal with your employer and show them your receipt notice for your 1 year EAD (when you get it). Technically, though, you aren't allowed to work without a valid EAD in hand.