Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Wish To Open A US Office Via An L1 For My Ltd Company - Has Anyone Here Done This?

Wish To Open A US Office Via An L1 For My Ltd Company - Has Anyone Here Done This?

Old Dec 17th 2011, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

powerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nice
Default Re: Wish To Open A US Office Via An L1 For My Ltd Company - Has Anyone Here Done This

Originally Posted by AtomicUK
I am looking to potentially open a US based office for my UK based small Limited company.

The plan would be to retain the UK office and I would oversee it from the US, so I would look to enter the US on an L1A visa with my wife working with me on an L2.

I assume others here have done this with their own small businesses?

While I know America very well and have visited maybe 25+ times, perhaps totalling a couple of years being there, opening an office in the US would be new territory in every sense of the word!

I'd very much like to talk to those that have done it to gain some advice. Is there anyone who could possibly help answer some questions?

Thank you in advance.
Hi, i am in looking into this too.

Can i ask what type of business you are in, service industry etc, etc?

Thanks
Old Dec 17th 2011, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

classic12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wish To Open A US Office Via An L1 For My Ltd Company - Has Anyone Here Done This

I got mine (finally) last week. I still have to make an appointment at the embassy. I rang them this week and asked when the clock starts ticking (as my attorney stated it started last week) the guy said it starts once we have been for the interview and the visa is stamped.
With all the delays I don't think we will be going till mid Feb at the earliest so will delay the appointment so we have as long as possible to build the business up for the first 'inspection' after the first 12 months.
Our attorney stated this is crucial and a lot of people fail and lose their visa as they have not done what is stated in their visa application.
As anyone out there been through the first inspection ? What was involved ?

Please feel free to ask any questions.

We are a car park management company with some security products and selling phone holders www.parkforce.com www.podsta.com .

My interpretation of the L1 visa is that you must be going over there to manage people / infrastructures / sale & training etc and not simply a one man band who is a salesman. The way they look at is they have salesmen and need jobs for US citizens. (If the UK had a similar approach we would not have half the problems we have with our 'open door' approach).
Our bushiness plan was vague in that we do not already sell within the US but need to create a market etc and we have some success on the podsta (Jan is the big one).

Cheers

SteveW
Old Dec 17th 2011, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

powerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nice

I'm impressed Steve, maybe not so much with the parking equip.....been the victim of that sort of thing many times but having said that, probably deserved it !

Mine all started by accident really. Been to the US more times that i can remember, probably 50 times but other than very recently, only on holiday. For the last 5 years i have been plugging at ways of getting into the US. Being an HVAC engineer, there was no way through my occupation, no family members etc so virtually gave up.

Anyway, about 2/3 years ago i decided to start up a specialized plumbing/HVAC tool company, mainly sourcing tools that were not currently availible in the UK. I travelled out to many countires to set up exclusive distribution deal within the UK. The products come from different manufacturers in different countries inc USA, Japan, Spain, Taiwan. We are not selling to end users but to merchants and other distributors. Basically, i found the cream of the crop, albeit expensive tools.

We have been set up since 2008 but only went 'live' about 7 months ago. I can't believe it, i have hit the nail on the head as i have big national plumbers merchants approaching me now !

At the mo, it is myself as director, my other half is company sec and we have two other guys working with us.

Now, to cut a long story short, most of these manufacturers have no distribution in the US/Canada and have ALL offered me distribution rights in North America.

Also, one particular product is about to be altered and patented by myself and is designed for use on a particular type of gas pipe pipe which is more prevelant in the US than the UK. At the moment, that tool (prototype) is being tested by the USA gas pipe manufacturer in Pennsylvannia. This tool could sell 200,000 units in one year in the USA !

So, in reality i set up this company to give myself and my family a slightly better life over here and forgot about the USA 'dream'. But now, it is going to work out better for me to set up in the USA than just stay in the UK which to me is just plain freaky. Obviously, i set the UK side up on my own and it could only be me that could set up the USA side as i know my business inside out. Plus, i am one of these guys that unfortunatley has the mentally that thinks it is only me that can do the job properly.

We are on target to probably turn over £2,000,000 in our first 'real' year of trading.

I have absolutley no doubt that i would qualify for an L1, no doubt at all. I already have a great friend who currently works for the 3rd largest plumbing tool company in the USA who is itching to get on board.

One question i have is that once you apply for an L1 and assuming recieve it, the clock starts ticking from that point ? Or, can you apply for an L1 and leave it on the back burner for 6 or so months before you enter the USA ?

Cheers Steve
Old Dec 17th 2011, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

My attorney stated that it starts from when I got approval (ie last week) but when I rang the embassy the guy there stated it starts from the day you get the visa stamped. I asked him twice and told him what my attorney said and he confirmed that it starts from the 'visa stamp day'.

So we are now not going till mid Feb at the earliest so I wont be making the appointment until then.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

SteveW
Old Dec 17th 2011, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

Is that a fact Steve, i didn't realise that. I wonder how open ended it is though ?

Can i ask how difficult you felt the whole application was for you ?

Thanks again

Darren
Old Dec 17th 2011, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

Very difficult and long winded. The paperwork was immense and full of stuff very corporate stuff. (company charts, cash flows, etc etc etc). It took a long time to get together.

I think I have 181 page PDF that contains all the docs.
Old Dec 17th 2011, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Is there a guide that you can download or did your immigration guy tell you roughly what was required?

Thanks
Old Dec 18th 2011, 12:40 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by digbydog
I did a L1A start up and from the date of the initial L1A to receiving a green card was 17 months.
What EB category were you in?
Old Dec 19th 2011, 8:28 pm
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve_
What EB category were you in?
L1a, so category would of been EB1(c)
Old Dec 20th 2011, 9:01 am
Just Joined

mrssculthorpe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I am having a complete nightmare with the L1 Visa application for my boss, can anyone help please?

We have filled in the L and the L129 supporting forms and all the supporting "evidence" and need to know where and how to sedn the payment of the 185.00 USD to start the ball rolling?

Can anyone help me?

Please
Old Dec 20th 2011, 12:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrssculthorpe
Hi

I am having a complete nightmare with the L1 Visa application for my boss, can anyone help please?

We have filled in the L and the L129 supporting forms and all the supporting "evidence" and need to know where and how to sedn the payment of the 185.00 USD to start the ball rolling?

Can anyone help me?

Please
Asked your lawyer?

Seems weird to begin an expensive new operation and skimp on possibly the best initial investment to making it a success...
Old Dec 20th 2011, 1:12 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrssculthorpe
Respectfully, unless you're an immigration attorney well versed in L-1 visa procedures, you shouldn't be filling out anything like this for your boss.

Ian
Old Dec 20th 2011, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=742430

I win