Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Will there be problems returning to the US - passport still in maiden name

Wikiposts

Will there be problems returning to the US - passport still in maiden name

Old Mar 21st 2006, 2:14 am
Forum Regular

MiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond repute
Question Will there be problems returning to the US - passport still in maiden name

Hi all

Im thinking of taking a quick trip back to blighty in a couple of weeks. I've just realised though that my greencard is in my married name, and my passport is still in my maiden name. Will this cause me hassle coming back into the US?

thanks

MB
Old Mar 21st 2006, 2:37 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Will there be problems returning to the US - passport still in maiden name

Originally Posted by MiniBrit
Hi all

Im thinking of taking a quick trip back to blighty in a couple of weeks. I've just realised though that my greencard is in my married name, and my passport is still in my maiden name. Will this cause me hassle coming back into the US?

thanks

MB
Hi:

Carry your marriage certificate with you. Do note that first name, date and place of birth and the photo will be matching.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 3:12 am
I love my sailor.

Marjeta is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Will there be problems returning to the US - passport still in maiden name

Hi,

I never had a problem because of that. The immigration officers seem to be used to it or at least they seem to ignore it. I agree with Folinskyinla though. I always have my marriage certificate with me just in case.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

MiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond repute

ok thank you both very much.

I've just booked my ticket! cant wait! its been almost a year.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 9:08 pm
Lansbury

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 15:14:19 +0000, MiniBrit <member37892@british_expats.com>
wrote:

>Im thinking of taking a quick trip back to blighty in a couple of weeks.
    >I've just realised though that my greencard is in my married name, and
    >my passport is still in my maiden name. Will this cause me hassle
    >coming back into the US?

make sure the airline ticket is in the name that is in your passport. Don't
know about the US end but in the UK if they don't match they will not let you
travel on that ticket.

--
Lansbury
www.uk-air.net
FAQs for the alt.travel.uk.air newsgroup

Old Mar 22nd 2006, 2:37 am
Mrs. Yank

Petra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Lansbury
make sure the airline ticket is in the name that is in your passport. Don't know about the US end but in the UK if they don't match they will not let you travel on that ticket.
My husband and I always traveled together, so my ticket was always in my married name. We never had a problem. However, at every check-in desk and with every passport check point, I was asked about the names. However, showing (a copy of) my marriage certificate would always solve the problem.
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 3:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lansbury
On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 15:14:19 +0000, MiniBrit <member37892@british_expats.com>
wrote:

>Im thinking of taking a quick trip back to blighty in a couple of weeks.
    >I've just realised though that my greencard is in my married name, and
    >my passport is still in my maiden name. Will this cause me hassle
    >coming back into the US?

make sure the airline ticket is in the name that is in your passport. Don't
know about the US end but in the UK if they don't match they will not let you
travel on that ticket.

--
Lansbury
www.uk-air.net
Oh yes, passport name and ticket match. I didn't have any choice really since I booked through the BA Exec club, they still have my maiden name, so thats the name the ticket is in. I'll change my name with them whenever I eventually get around to getting a new passport!
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Petra
My husband and I always traveled together, so my ticket was always in my married name. We never had a problem. However, at every check-in desk and with every passport check point, I was asked about the names. However, showing (a copy of) my marriage certificate would always solve the problem.
Yep, I will definately take a copy of our marriage certificate too 'just in case'.

thanks everyone!
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 10:39 pm
Lansbury

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 15:37:58 +0000, Petra <member1494@british_expats.com>
wrote:

>My husband and I always traveled together, so my ticket was always in my
    >married name. We never had a problem. However, at every check-in desk
    >and with every passport check point, I was asked about the names.
    >However, showing (a copy of) my marriage certificate would always solve
    >the problem.

I notice you are saying was. I work at a major UK airport, Virgin Atlantic as
an example allow three characters in the name on the ticket and passport to
differ and they are one of the best. Most now if they don't completely match
will require you to buy another ticket.

We fly BA a couple of years back, when my wife's US passport was in her single
name and I got the ticket in her married name. BA looked at the passport and
refused to let her fly, until I pointed out name changes in US passports go on
the back page and not next to the personal details page as is the norm.

Before you ask I can't see much sense in the rule, but it is one that seems to
be enforced at the present time.
--
Lansbury
www.uk-air.net