Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Will my family be able to come back?

Will my family be able to come back?

Old Dec 25th 2011, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

coopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Will my family be able to come back?

Hey everybody! Long time no see and hope you all are having a great Christmas

I could use some positive words (if there are any) about a visa situation......

My son and his wife and their child (my 5 year old grandson) have been living in the US for a while now on L1 and L2 status. Their I-94's have an expiry date of 2013.

They are loving it here and my grandson has settled in school, made lots of friends and having a better social life than most of us adults lol.

Anyhow, they went back to England to visit his wife's family and went to the Embassy for new visas so they could come back after Christmas. Unfortunately they were issued a 221g asking for some documents they didn't have with them. Their passports were not given back and my son was asked to leave his credit card details with them, which he did.

I've read a lot about these 221g forms and how it takes the Embassy a long time to deal with it. But my worst fear is if they get denied. Son's company had filed I-140 for him in October, does that now get cancelled?
Old Dec 25th 2011, 9:35 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will my family be able to come back?

Originally Posted by coopa_troopa
Hey everybody! Long time no see and hope you all are having a great Christmas

I could use some positive words (if there are any) about a visa situation......

My son and his wife and their child (my 5 year old grandson) have been living in the US for a while now on L1 and L2 status. Their I-94's have an expiry date of 2013.

They are loving it here and my grandson has settled in school, made lots of friends and having a better social life than most of us adults lol.

Anyhow, they went back to England to visit his wife's family and went to the Embassy for new visas so they could come back after Christmas. Unfortunately they were issued a 221g asking for some documents they didn't have with them. Their passports were not given back and my son was asked to leave his credit card details with them, which he did.

I've read a lot about these 221g forms and how it takes the Embassy a long time to deal with it. But my worst fear is if they get denied. Son's company had filed I-140 for him in October, does that now get cancelled?
If he's still employed with the same company, there's no reason to deny anything. Once the embassy receives the missing documents, the visas should be issued. This doesn't sound like the type of Admin Processing that some people get which takes years to clear up.

Rene
Old Dec 25th 2011, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

coopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If he's still employed with the same company, there's no reason to deny anything. Once the embassy receives the missing documents, the visas should be issued. This doesn't sound like the type of Admin Processing that some people get which takes years to clear up.

Rene
Ah thanks Rene Positive words

But you're right, I've read some horror stories about AP with the person not even knowing WHY it's happening! And can't help think what if it turns into that kind of situation. Seems no explanantion is required
Old Dec 25th 2011, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

If all that they were asked for were some missing documents then, with any luck, things will move ahead quickly once the documents are provided.
Old Dec 26th 2011, 1:15 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah thanks Rene Positive words

But you're right, I've read some horror stories about AP with the person not even knowing WHY it's happening! And can't help think what if it turns into that kind of situation. Seems no explanantion is required
Usually the reason for those long APs is that the person's name gets a "hit", which means it matches someone else's name who is on some kind of watch list, and then it needs manual investigation and verification to make sure that person is NOT the same as the person on the list.

Sounds like your son's probably was simply some missing paperwork.

Rene
Old Dec 26th 2011, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by md95065
If all that they were asked for were some missing documents then, with any luck, things will move ahead quickly once the documents are provided.
Thanks for that

Have you had a similar experience? If so, was it resolved fairly quickly?

One reads about these things but never truly realise the implications, not being able to fulfill work obligations etc.

Oh well, just have to wait it out I guess.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

London Wharf is an unknown quantity at this point

hi!
Old Dec 29th 2011, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by London Wharf
hi!
erm...hi Did you want to ask me something?
Old Dec 29th 2011, 8:36 pm

erm...hi Did you want to ask me something?
LOL, it's OK. London Wharf needed 3 posts in order to use the PM function.

Rene
Old Dec 29th 2011, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

A little update....

The Consular Officer also gave him a Royal Mail Special Delivery tracking number so he could track the return of the passports.

All the requested documents were emailed to the embassy on Tuesday night, ready for when they reopened on Wednesday after the holiday. He has received an email stating "documents received. Your case is under review by the Consular Officer"

Doesn't sound like it's going to be a quick turnaround does it? I know they are often economical with the truth, but my son was told it would only take a day or two once all the docs were in.

It was Belfast Consulate btw.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

All the requested documents were emailed to the embassy on Tuesday night, ready for when they reopened on Wednesday after the holiday. He has received an email stating "documents received. Your case is under review by the Consular Officer"

Doesn't sound like it's going to be a quick turnaround does it? I know they are often economical with the truth, but my son was told it would only take a day or two once all the docs were in.
Looks like things are progressing - nothing you can really do now except wait and see, but I didn't see anything here that suggests to me that it would necessarily take longer than the "day or two" that your son was told.
Old Dec 30th 2011, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Another update......

Royal Mail tracking is showing package is in transit and will be delivered by January 3rd.

So, it would seem the passports are on their way but we don't actually know if they have visas in.

There has been no activity on my son's credit card for the past few days, so no visa issuance payment showing, which is a little disconcerting.

They are due to fly back to the US on January 4th so until the package arrives on the 3rd we don't know if that will be possible.

It will be a long holiday weekend for us, waiting. We have never taken anything for granted where immigration issues are concerned as we know anything can happen.

For those who paid for their visas with a UK credit card, how quickly did they take the payment?

I know there's nothing left to do now but wait, but just nervous that no credit card activity is showing yet.

Wish us luck. I am missing my little grandson and want him "home"
Old Dec 30th 2011, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

AdsUK has a brilliant futureAdsUK has a brilliant futureAdsUK has a brilliant futureAdsUK has a brilliant futureAdsUK has a brilliant futureAdsUK has a brilliant futureAdsUK has a brilliant futureAdsUK has a brilliant future

My payment for my B2 Interview fee ($140) was processed immediately over the phone, meaning it was showing as a pending transaction and available balance reduced, but took 2 days to appear as a processed transaction.

Also, without wanting to get your hopes up, if the package is returning to you via Royal Mail Special Delivery and was sent out today, there is still a chance it will arrive tomorrow morning, although it is not guaranteed to arrive until the next working day (3rd).
Old Dec 31st 2011, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

CAProgrammer is an unknown quantity at this point

There has been no activity on my son's credit card for the past few days, so no visa issuance payment showing, which is a little disconcerting.

For those who paid for their visas with a UK credit card, how quickly did they take the payment?

I know there's nothing left to do now but wait, but just nervous that no credit card activity is showing yet.
My credit card doesn't show some transactions as processed for 3 - 4 days on occasion. The transaction should be reflected in the "Available Credit Limit" (or whatever your bank calls this) but unless you have not made any other transactions it is quite hard to track this way. Sometimes it takes a day for my "Available Credit Limit" to be updated.

I would be willing to go out on a limb and say that my credit card transactions have "never" shown up on the day the card was charged; but obviously I haven't checked it every single time I engaged in a transaction so I can't be sure.

I wouldn't worry too much about it and I definitely wouldn't use it as an indication of whether your family have been given their visas or not as I'm sure the card will be charged even if they were denied the visas. The fee isn't only taken if the application is successful; they should take it even if a visa is denied.