Wikiposts

Will an arrest effect my L1 Visa

Old Mar 23rd 2010, 3:00 am
Just Joined

oll1e1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Will an arrest effect my L1 Visa

Dear All,

I have an internal job offer to relocate to the US, Houston. I have been going through a Visa application form and have come across a section asking if i have ever been arrested, convicted etc.
I use to work in Security, one night at a night club group of guys were causing trouble - i wont go into detail but we had to remove them from the club. one of the group ended up with a head injury - nothing major but me and the team were arrested for questioning. We had the questioning session and were released on bail, after about 3 months the police worte to us saying that the case had been dropped and no further action was to be taken, in summary i was not charged. I am worried though, that this could effect my visa in the US even though no action was taken, I have read of one case where someone was refused an L1 due to a Drunk and Disorderly arrest.
I hope in my case it will be view in something of an "in the line of duty" issue ??

Can anyone share any experiences.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 3:53 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will an arrest effect my L1 Visa

Originally Posted by oll1e1
I have read of one case where someone was refused an L1 due to a Drunk and Disorderly arrest.
Observation: There are multitude of grounds of exclusion/inadmissability -- they can be found in section 212(a) of the Immigration & Nationality Act. There are criminal related grounds and there are grounds related to use of alcohol or drugs which indicate a prospective danger to US society.

Second observation: for some reason, people conflate the criminal grounds and the alcohol grounds.

No advice intended nor given.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 4:54 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

I am worried though, that this could effect my visa in the US even though no action was taken, I have read of one case where someone was refused an L1 due to a Drunk and Disorderly arrest.
I have a DnD from a long time back. When I submitted it to the US embassy when applying for an H-1B visa in 1990, it came back stamped "Not 212", indicating that it was not relevant to my application.

That was in 1990, and things might have changed.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 5:14 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Hooligan!
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 5:27 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Hooligan!
Eulachon!
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 5:40 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nettlebed
Eulachon!
Googles...
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

ledley malone is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear All,

I have an internal job offer to relocate to the US, Houston. I have been going through a Visa application form and have come across a section asking if i have ever been arrested, convicted etc.
I use to work in Security, one night at a night club group of guys were causing trouble - i wont go into detail but we had to remove them from the club. one of the group ended up with a head injury - nothing major but me and the team were arrested for questioning. We had the questioning session and were released on bail, after about 3 months the police worte to us saying that the case had been dropped and no further action was to be taken, in summary i was not charged. I am worried though, that this could effect my visa in the US even though no action was taken, I have read of one case where someone was refused an L1 due to a Drunk and Disorderly arrest.
I hope in my case it will be view in something of an "in the line of duty" issue ??

Can anyone share any experiences.
Not convicted/charged/reprimanded/warned? Well you're not guilty, you've never been proven to be guilty and by the sounds of it you have never accepted guilt. I've never heard of anybody being refused a VISA without either one of the things I have described.

Fact is you need a VISA.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 8:04 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ledley malone
Fact is you need a VISA.
Query: what is the background of this statement? OP is applying for a visa, but gives no indication he is Canadian. Even if he is Canadian, use of the "E-2" category would require a visa. What if he is a Canadian who seeks to make an L-1A/B admission?

Observation: Conclusion should be based on full knowledge of the facts.

No advice given nor intended.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Query: what is the background of this statement? OP is applying for a visa, but gives no indication he is Canadian. Even if he is Canadian, use of the "E-2" category would require a visa. What if he is a Canadian who seeks to make an L-1A/B admission?

Observation: Conclusion should be based on full knowledge of the facts.

No advice given nor intended.
Your posts make no sense at all! There is a difference between making clever comments and thinking you are. You waffle on with no clear definition to your statements.

I imagine this guy is British. He needs a VISA end of story he has been arrested.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 8:23 am
Shocked of Redmond

Your posts make no sense at all! There is a difference between making clever comments and thinking you are. You waffle on with no clear definition to your statements.

He needs a VISA end of story he has been arrested.
If he wants to get a job with an employer who has petitioned for an L-1 visa, he needs a visa, yes.

As far as your blanket statement that he needs a visa because he has been arrested goes: have you ever read questions A-G on an I-94W?

Last edited by nettlebed; Mar 23rd 2010 at 8:27 am.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 8:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Strictly speaking, it will not 'effect' your visa, which has a different legal meaning.

It may affect it.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

If he wants to get a job with an employer who has petitioned for an L-1 visa, he needs a visa, yes.

As far as your blanket statement that he needs a visa because he has been arrested goes: have you ever read questions A-G on an I-94W?
Yes I have and because we don't know if his arrest would be deemed as a crime of moral turpitude (and neither does he), he needs to apply for a VISA.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 8:35 am
Shocked of Redmond

Yes I have and because we don't know if his arrest would be deemed as a crime of moral turpitude (and neither does he), he needs to apply for a VISA.
No, you were asserting that he needs a visa because he has been arrested.

Not everyone who has been arrested needs a visa. In this particular case the OP might, because of the reason for which he was arrested, but that is a different assertion.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 8:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

He doesn't need a visa BECAUSE he has been arrested, he needs a visa because he wants to work in the US.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

No, you were asserting that he needs a visa because he has been arrested.

Not everyone who has been arrested needs a visa. In this particular case the OP might, because of the reason for which he was arrested, but that is a different assertion.
Yeh, you're right. You know what I meant, well done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.