Wife of a US Military Service Man

Old Nov 30th 2013, 11:57 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wife of a US Military Service Man

http://www.immlaw.com/attorneys/anchorage.html
Old Dec 1st 2013, 12:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Michael
The driver's license is probably real from while she lived in the US but she probably tried to claim she was a US citizen and was discovered that wasn't true when she returned. I blame her husband more than her since he is in the military and should know better and not let the mess happen as if there wouldn't be any consequence. He probably told her to "don't worry" and her husband as a military man, she believed him.
I assumed that she had originally entered as a Visitor, otherwise why would there would be an issue if she had some sort of legal status?

OP did say it was a fake license, we do not really know the full details, feels like the OP does not have all the data.

You would have thought that jumping the Border might have been a stretch, perhaps it was her idea to do that?
Old Dec 1st 2013, 12:09 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Well if she does not know nobody would.
Old Dec 1st 2013, 1:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Well they're legally married, and we get people show up here on BE from time to time who think that marrying a US citizen automatically makes them a citizen too, so it's a relatively common misconception.
I suspect that since they were likely getting military allowances and filing as married filing jointly, somehow she must have gotten a SSN. I suppose that it is possible that she got the SSN previously from another visa and they assumed that since she had a SSN number and married to a USC, she must be legal.

Long before there was an internet and it was very difficult to make a telephone call across the pond, I married a Brit when living in Europe but never imagined that I had the right to live and work in the UK without contacting UK authorities even though America owned Western Europe at that time. Maybe some people aren't as deep of thinkers as I am.
Old Dec 1st 2013, 2:35 am
Account Closed

I suspect that since they were likely getting military allowances and filing as married filing jointly, somehow she must have gotten a SSN. I suppose that it is possible that she got the SSN previously from another visa and they assumed that since she had a SSN number and married to a USC, she must be legal.

Long before there was an internet and it was very difficult to make a telephone call across the pond, I married a Brit when living in Europe but never imagined that I had the right to live and work in the UK without contacting UK authorities even though America owned Western Europe at that time. Maybe some people aren't as deep of thinkers as I am.
It used to be very easy to get a SSN so quite possible she has a legitimate one.

If she did not then an ITIN would be fine for taxes.

Lots of members of the military married to people without status, no need for PIP otherwise.
Old Dec 1st 2013, 2:35 am
Account Closed

It used to be very easy to get a SSN so quite possible she has a legitimate one.

Lots of members of the military married to people without status, no need for PIP otherwise.
Old Dec 1st 2013, 2:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler

Not if they want to file married filing jointly unless she is outside the US and elects to be to be treated as a resident for tax purposes (requires special forms to be filed).
Old Dec 1st 2013, 4:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Boiler

I agree but that doesn't necessarily mean they can file married filing jointly before the PIP petition has been approved and I believe when it is approved, the spouse is eligible to work so therefore is eligible for a SSN.

From my understanding, PIP is similar to AOS but with special circumstances.

I believe a souse of a USC is treated similar to children of US citizens which require a SSN to be included on tax returns.

Last edited by Michael; Dec 1st 2013 at 4:57 am.