Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Why wouldn't I want a US passport?!

Why wouldn't I want a US passport?!

Old Jul 21st 2009, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

mamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why wouldn't I want a US passport?!

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Have you considered the possible benefit that US citizenship might have on your offspring?

Ian
Thanks for your concern, Ian....
My only offspring is 29 years old and living in London....
No great benefits to citizenship there!!
Old Jul 21st 2009, 3:05 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mamasue
Thanks for your concern, Ian....
My only offspring is 29 years old and living in London....
No great benefits to citizenship there!!
Just one thought: lots of people get convicted for crimes they don't commit, just by being unlucky - in the wrong place at the wrong time. You don't need to commit a crime to get deported.

But it sounds like you've clearly and actively decided that you don't want it, and nobody is forcing you to take a US passport, so I don't see any problems here...
Old Jul 21st 2009, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg14624
A green card holder is could be a brush with the law away from getting booted out and a USC is not. I'd call that a significant advantage depending on your lifestyle and luck.
It worked for me.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 4:47 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wordfool
yes, I mean naturalization. Sorry. In other words, why wouldn't I want to become a US citizen

The tax issue is the only downside I've heard repeated. However, as a US resident I was under the impression I'm still subject to the same long arm of the INS as a citizen would be, wherever in the world I am. Are there any additional tax implications to consider as a citizen? I suppose I can never becomes a "non-resident" so would always be subject to US tax oversight, but to what extent to tax treaties between countries solve this dilemma?

The dual nationality issue is somewhat moot for a Brit AFAIK. Sure, the US doesn't like duel passports, but no-one need know about it as long as I don't flout my Britishness.
Hi:

I've been following this thread with some interest. What you do is totally up to you.

I understand that being a non-citizen places some limits on estate planning. That is outside my bailiwick so I won't discuss it -- I simply don't know.

The US really doesn't care all that much about dual citizenship -- in fact a US passport notes the possibility and warns one that the US won't be able to protect one against actions by the country of other nationality [which I actually consider somewhat scary, but I digress]. About the only time I think the US has trouble with dual nationality these days is when a person tries to take advantage of BOTH nationalities contrary to the interests of the US Government. Mier Kahane, may he rest restlessly, was the last big expatriation suit I'm aware of regarding a natural-born AmCit. But to most people, dual nationality is not a problem.

If you are not a US citizen, you are not allowed the privilege of serving on a jury. [BTW, I don't know about other states, but California no longer limits its jury lists to voter rolls -- I often tell clients to respond to the jury summons with "Thanks, but no thanks, I am not a citizen."

I don't know the rules of drawing US Social Security if one retires abroad thereby giving up the green card.

Going back to taxes, since you can't vote, you are subject to "taxation without representation." I seem to recall that that rubric was part of the sloganeering of a revolution some times back.

The choice is yours. If you want to be an AmCit, welcome. If you don't, that is your choice. Good luck.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 11:55 pm
Just Joined

expatdude is an unknown quantity at this point

Do note that if you're a dual national that you might not be able to work for the US Govt or some contractors dealing with security clearances.....