Where's the Green Card!

Old Jan 21st 2007, 2:43 pm
-Aaron

Default Where's the Green Card!

Hi all. We had an interesting experience getting my wife's green card and I
thought I'd share. We got the letter saying that the green card was coming
in the next thirty days last year. So, we waited, and waited, and waited.
Finally, we decided it had been lost in the mail. So, we paid the fee and
requested another. It came in a reasonable amount of time, but when the
second card came, my wife figured out what had happened to the first.

As I'm sure many of you know, credit card companies send you a fake version
of a credit card in a nondescript envelope. Well, as we found out, the
USCIS sends green cards the same way. She thinks that she probably just
dropped the first one in the shredder without opening it because we get so
many of those.

Needless to say, we don't do that any more.

Aaron

--
To reply directly, remove j's from email address.

Old Jan 21st 2007, 10:36 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where's the Green Card!

Originally Posted by -Aaron
As I'm sure many of you know, credit card companies send you a fake version of a credit card in a nondescript envelope. Well, as we found out, the USCIS sends green cards the same way. She thinks that she probably just dropped the first one in the shredder without opening it because we get so many of those.
I have never, ever heard of USCIS sending out "fake" green cards. As far as sending the real green cards in nondescript envelopes, how else would you expect them to be sent? It's not like USCIS hand-delivers them in person -- they're sent in plain white envelopes, with Department of Homeland Security clearly visible in the return address.

~ Jenney
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 3:41 am

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

I am sure the OP meant the card resembled a fake credit card mailer and not a fake green card I get the impression the warning was for those of us awaiting our cards, or who had suffered them going astray to beware that they could be mistaken for junk mail. Which is exactly the advice the immigration official offered when I stated my card had not arrived.

As someone who never received my original green card and is awaiting its replacement, I appreciated the comments.

Your 'helpful' comments didn't really make sense. On one hand you say the envelope is nondescript, yet then go on to helpfully state it says "Department of Homeland Security"...

... thanks for your comments Jenney, the forum is much wiser for your input

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
I have never, ever heard of USCIS sending out "fake" green cards. As far as sending the real green cards in nondescript envelopes, how else would you expect them to be sent? It's not like USCIS hand-delivers them in person -- they're sent in plain white envelopes, with Department of Homeland Security clearly visible in the return address.

~ Jenney
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 12:43 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Texas_Dave
Your 'helpful' comments didn't really make sense. On one hand you say the envelope is nondescript, yet then go on to helpfully state it says "Department of Homeland Security"...

... thanks for your comments Jenney, the forum is much wiser for your input
The OP was implying that green cards are mailed in envelopes which don't indicate who is sending them, which is what a lot of credit card companies do. The reality is that that the envelopes have the "Department of Homeland Security" printed in the return address. Other than that, yes -- it is a relatively plain white envelope which doesn't draw attention to itself (aka, nondescript).

Those who are waiting for their green cards who are reading this thread will now know to look for envelopes that say "Department of Homeland Security" on them, and not just assume because it's a plain white envelope that it's junk mail. In other words, they have to actually READ the envelopes to see if one is from DHS. So yes, I agree with you that my comments are helpful.

~ Jenney
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 3:01 pm

So USCIS does not send out fake green cards, green cards are not hand delivered - good info, thanks. I won't be on the look out for USCIS officials bearing gifts of fake green cards. . .

The reality is that that the envelopes have the "Department of Homeland Security" printed in the return address. Other than that, yes -- it is a relatively plain white envelope which doesn't draw attention to itself (aka, nondescript).
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

pianoplayer has a brilliant futurepianoplayer has a brilliant futurepianoplayer has a brilliant futurepianoplayer has a brilliant futurepianoplayer has a brilliant futurepianoplayer has a brilliant futurepianoplayer has a brilliant future

~ Jenney
I think you misread his post. He was referring to "fake credit cards", not "fake green cards."

You are correct in stating that it has Department of Homeland Security on the envelope. However, I think the OP makes a valid point that people should look out for these envelopes, as some people do tend to throw these envelopes away, mistaking it for more junk mail.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 6:15 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

If she sent it through the shredder you have a fool for a wife. The card is heavy enough to make her stop and pull it out because it would have jammed the shredder. Also who is silly enough to shred mail without first opening the envelope?

Since green cards on the black market can command thousands of dollars, do you think the USCIS will knowing advertise that there is a green card inside of a particular envelope designed just for green cards?

Originally Posted by -Aaron
Hi all. We had an interesting experience getting my wife's green card and I
thought I'd share. We got the letter saying that the green card was coming
in the next thirty days last year. So, we waited, and waited, and waited.
Finally, we decided it had been lost in the mail. So, we paid the fee and
requested another. It came in a reasonable amount of time, but when the
second card came, my wife figured out what had happened to the first.

As I'm sure many of you know, credit card companies send you a fake version
of a credit card in a nondescript envelope. Well, as we found out, the
USCIS sends green cards the same way. She thinks that she probably just
dropped the first one in the shredder without opening it because we get so
many of those.

Needless to say, we don't do that any more.

Aaron

--
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 6:34 pm

I don't think USCIS gives a damn. A simple delivery confirmation service (costing 14c I think?) would prove whether a card was delivered. If they gave a damn they could use a tracked service and just force people to pay for it. Heck they could even allow you to collect it from an immigration office.
The lack of "green card enclosed" or whatever on the envelope has more to do with printing costs than USCIS not wanting to advertise a card is enclosed.

Originally Posted by Rete
Since green cards on the black market can command thousands of dollars, do you think the USCIS will knowing advertise that there is a green card inside of a particular envelope designed just for green cards?
Old Jan 25th 2007, 10:31 pm
technopoly

I received my card last week and the envelope does not state Dept of
Homeland Security. Nothing is printed on the envelope (aside from the
post mark). There are two windows -- one for the return address to show
through (PO Box #, no mention of DHS) and one for my name & address.

The envelope for the Welcome Notice does have the DHS return address
printed on it.

On Jan 22, 11:17 am, pianoplayer <[email protected]>
wrote:
> > I have never, ever heard of USCIS sending out "fake" green cards. As
> > far as sending the real green cards in nondescript envelopes, how else
> > would you expect them to be sent? It's not like USCIS hand-delivers
> > them in person -- they're sent in plain white envelopes, with
> > Department ofHomelandSecurity clearly visible in the return address.
>
> > ~ JenneyI think you misread his post. He was referring to "fake credit cards",
> not "fake green cards."
>
> You are correct in stating that it has Department ofHomelandSecurity
> on theenvelope. However, I think the OP makes a valid point that people
> should look out for these envelopes, as some people do tend to throw
> these envelopes away, mistaking it for more junk mail.
>
> --
> Posted viahttp://britishexpats.com

Old Jan 28th 2007, 1:01 am
-Aaron

"Rete" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
> If she sent it through the shredder you have a fool for a wife. The
> card is heavy enough to make her stop and pull it out because it would
> have jammed the shredder. Also who is silly enough to shred mail
> without first opening the envelope?

I agree that it was a foolish thing to do, but we all have our moments.
Anyway, it wouldn't have jammed our bionic shredder. It takes more than a
little plastic to do that. Also, like I said in my original message, she
figured it was just junk because it was nondescript and it had a credit
card-shaped object in it.

Of course this is just speculation. Our original supposition may have been
correct and we may not have ever received it.

Aaron

--

Old Jan 30th 2007, 11:58 pm

For those of you awaiting your green cards, this is in fact the envelope that mine arrived in just today.

I am one happy person.
Attached Thumbnails Where's the Green Card!-scan.jpg  
Old Jan 31st 2007, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

couriousana has a brilliant futurecouriousana has a brilliant futurecouriousana has a brilliant futurecouriousana has a brilliant futurecouriousana has a brilliant futurecouriousana has a brilliant futurecouriousana has a brilliant future

Dave,
Congratulations!!! It must be a really happy day for you!
(Btw, were you waiting for backgroung checking? If you were, how long after the interview did you get your card? Did you get any welcome letter or email before?)
Thank you!
Old Jan 31st 2007, 10:11 pm

We applied for AOS in June 2006, I received an email from USCIS September 13th saying I had been approved, and another on September 19th saying a card had been ordered. The card I just received replaced that card, which was apparently lost in the mail somewhere.
In my case the whole AOS took 3 months. I did not get word I was pending background checks. From application to approval I received just one letter saying they had received my application (Notice of Action).
I adjusted from H1B to CPR. My H1B was granted November 2005. I feel in my case the AOS was without delay due to a recent background check when I obtained my H1B (this idea is based on my presumption and not fact).
I got a welcome letter shortly after the case was approved. I got a welcome 'leaflet' with my replacement card.
This card was really important to us. We move state in 3 months and without it I would have had trouble getting another job (my current social security card has the old H1B restrictions).

The only advice I can give is to try not to be too worried, some people seem to wait a long time whilst others wait hardly any time at all. Register on the USCIS web site for email updates, that way you will know if mail or the card itself has gone astray. Had I not had an email I would not have known to expect the card.
I am not religious, more spiritual, but we do say grace each evening; I'll add you to our thoughts. Good luck.

Originally Posted by couriousana
Dave,
Congratulations!!! It must be a really happy day for you!
(Btw, were you waiting for backgroung checking? If you were, how long after the interview did you get your card? Did you get any welcome letter or email before?)
Thank you!