Wikiposts

Where to start.

Old Dec 9th 2013, 6:29 am
Just Joined

Sheps0321 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where to start.

Just to be clear if I get the F-1 student visa and passed the Ma that'd afford me a 1 year period in which to stay in the states and work (ideally I would have secured the position while studying)?

Edit: If I understand everything correctly after the first year they'd sponsor me to stay in the states or drop me, which would change my visa? No?

Last edited by Sheps0321; Dec 9th 2013 at 6:31 am.
Old Dec 9th 2013, 6:33 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sheps0321
Just to be clear if I get the F-1 student visa and passed the Ma that'd afford me a 1 year period in which to stay in the states and work (ideally I would have secured the position while studying)?

Edit: If I understand everything correctly after the first year they'd sponsor me to stay in the states or drop me, which would change my visa? No?
The possibility is that after a year either they will wish to retain you (but you will have to return home to complete the visa process) or you will have found another company that wants to sponsor you (same applies) Either way studying is not a way to remain in the US without ever coming home again - there really is no way to do that other than to marry a USC.
Old Dec 9th 2013, 6:40 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. That 1-year period is called OPT (Optional Practical Training, I believe)

After which first year? Your fist year in OPT? There is only ONE year of OPT...not a "first" and beyond. But assuming the OPT year is what you meant, then yes, the employer will make a decision whether to keep you on and petition you for a work visa, or let you go (in which case you leave the USA).

I am not sure if you can change status from within the USA from OPT to H1B status. Worst case scenario, if the employer wants to keep you, is that he petitions for you on April 1, and you begin work in October of that year.

Rene
Old Dec 9th 2013, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

Rose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond repute

So Rose you are saying that it's possible to pay 0 tuition and work as a TA/RA/PA from day one to fund yourself... Then I'm assuming look for a company to hire you as you study for the Ma?
1. You can indeed pay $0 tuition if you work as an RA/TA/PA to fund yourself, and if the position covers all tuition. Some don't. This is why you'd need to contact a specific department and ask them what they provide: every university is different. One department at my uni covered all my tuition; the other only offered to cover half. If the position doesn't cover all the funds you need, you're going to have to bridge the gap yourself somehow. You can't take another job at the same time.

2. If you meant do you need to look for a company to hire you as you study for an MA, or a PhD: no. You're already working 20 hrs per week for the university as an RA/TA/PA, you can't legally work more than that.

3. If you meant can you start looking for jobs whilst still a student in the US, you technically can after 1 academic year on pre-completion Optional Practical Training. I wouldn't choose this route but it's up to you. Info about OPT is here: http://www.uscis.gov/archive/archive...ified-students

4. You can work 20 hours on campus per week from day one on an F1 student visa. I do not know why assertions to the contrary keep coming up here. I linked to the USCIS page that explains it all a few posts back. You can't work off campus for the first year, if you're one of the lucky few who's allowed to work off campus (also addressed in that link I gave in my previous post: this is off-campus work is different work from pre-completion OPT work). Maybe that's where people are getting confused.

5. Once you've completed your studies, you can look for a full-time job related to your field of study if you've been approved for post-completion OPT. In my opinion, that's the right time to look for work, find a company that likes you, and see if you can get them to petition for an H-1B for you. The OPT process kicks off before you finish up, but it's very close to when you finish. I don't know when you can actually go on interviews: presumably once you have that OPT approval in your hands. Remember, you only get so much time allotted to you for OPT: if you've used it up under (3) above, you can't get that time back.

I didn't go the H-1B route so I'll stop talking right there. I can only advise on the student side of things. If this all seems confusing to you, consider that I didn't even know half of this stuff until I'd been in the US as a student for 2 years. It is confusing, and you need to do a lot of homework yourself, verifying that what's been told to you here is still accurate and up-to-date. You need to contact individual universities as well; I know what I know through my university's international office.

Last edited by Rose tea; Dec 9th 2013 at 7:31 am.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 5:13 am
Just Joined

Hey guys, so while I've been gathering information on university courses in the states I started to wonder: Could I get a student visa to learn a trade in America?

I've spent a bit on the search function and I've not found anything (which is not to say there aren't threads here on the topic) so if anyone can shed some light that'd be really appreciated.

My google-fu is weak I'm afraid so thanks to all for any replies and also a big thank you to all who've replied so far.

Ta.
- Sheps.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 5:59 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys, so while I've been gathering information on university courses in the states I started to wonder: Could I get a student visa to learn a trade in America?
I suppose if it's through an institution that will issue you an I-20, yes.

Rene
Old Jan 27th 2014, 6:55 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I suppose if it's through an institution that will issue you an I-20, yes.

Rene
How would a person know if a course at an institution will issue an I-20? Will it likely say or should they contact the school itself?

The idea came to me literally today so I'm full of these questions. Not expecting exact answers here just maybe some guidance in the right direct.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 7:10 am

How would a person know if a course at an institution will issue an I-20? Will it likely say or should they contact the school itself?
If it doesn't say anything on their website, contact them directly. Tell them you're interested in getting an F-1 visa to study at their institution, and ask if they will issue an I-20.

Rene
Old Jan 27th 2014, 7:34 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

There is a list of schools participating in SEVIS online.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 3:10 am
Just Joined

aussie_jason is an unknown quantity at this point

Just go here and read, read, read - http://www.educationusa.info/5_steps_to_study/ and then read some more.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 10:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by aussie_jason
Just go here and read, read, read - http://www.educationusa.info/5_steps_to_study/ and then read some more.
Thank you for this, only just seen your post.
Old Jan 30th 2014, 3:02 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

What do you mean by trade?
Old Feb 11th 2014, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
What do you mean by trade?
Sorry, don't know how I missed your question. By trade I mean electrician, plumber, farrier whatever. Working with hands, apprenticeship style jobs.

Just trying to gather all the information.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 10:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, don't know how I missed your question. By trade I mean electrician, plumber, farrier whatever. Working with hands, apprenticeship style jobs.

No idea on whether or not you can get a student visa to do those, but none of those jobs would qualify for an employment based visa to stay in the US, just in case that's your long term plan.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 11th 2014 at 10:32 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 2:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Electrical work the training seems to be through the Unions mainly, the plumbers I know all came here and had to re qualify. Not sure what the point of country specific trades would be as the codes etc are different.

Farriers, well few and far between, not my area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.