Where to even start...

Old Jul 3rd 2016, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

nothingbutsound is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Where to even start...

Good Afternoon all!

I am looking to you beautiful people for some help and advice, Myself and my girlfriend are SICK of England and are looking to move to California, Santa Monica to be exact. We are in our twenties both lived in Spain (both speak Spanish, well she is Spanish), skate in our spare time and love music! We want a lifestyle to suit us.

We've always talked about moving from this country, mainly when we have bills to pay but with whats happening in this country, the poor weather, moody people and the cost of living... its finally pushed us over the edge!

I work for Apple in the UK and am going to apply for a job over there. Marina (my partner) has an uncle that lives in LA already. Also we are both University graduates in Music and Biochemistry, she's the smarter one lol.

I am seeking advice of where to go next? What Visas do we apply for? how much start up cash shall we take? wheres the best places to rent? what documentation do we need to take? whats the general cost of living as rent seems to be $1500-2000? what are we missing? is there a general checklist of things to do before moving?

When I moved to Spain, I took £2k and was setup with 3 days lol oh we are going to miss the perks of the EU!

We aren't looking to move furniture, we want to start new! but want to take a few bits so can anyone recommend any shippers for around 4 medium sized boxes.

Also if I've missed anything important, which I know i have somewhere. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 3rd 2016, 2:29 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to even start...

Originally Posted by nothingbutsound
Good Afternoon all!

I am looking to you beautiful people for some help and advice, Myself and my girlfriend are SICK of England and are looking to move to California, Santa Monica to be exact. We are in our twenties both lived in Spain (both speak Spanish, well she is Spanish), skate in our spare time and love music! We want a lifestyle to suit us.

We've always talked about moving from this country, mainly when we have bills to pay but with whats happening in this country, the poor weather, moody people and the cost of living... its finally pushed us over the edge!

I work for Apple in the UK and am going to apply for a job over there. Marina (my partner) has an uncle that lives in LA already. Also we are both University graduates in Music and Biochemistry, she's the smarter one lol.

I am seeking advice of where to go next? What Visas do we apply for? how much start up cash shall we take? wheres the best places to rent? what documentation do we need to take? whats the general cost of living as rent seems to be $1500-2000? what are we missing? is there a general checklist of things to do before moving?

When I moved to Spain, I took £2k and was setup with 3 days lol oh we are going to miss the perks of the EU!

We aren't looking to move furniture, we want to start new! but want to take a few bits so can anyone recommend any shippers for around 4 medium sized boxes.

Also if I've missed anything important, which I know i have somewhere. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to BE.

Firstly you need to carefully read this link.

Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki

If you think there is any visa you might qualify for then, if it is a work visa, you will have to find an employer willing to pay thousands of dollars and wait for many months to get you over there. Your best bet id for one of you to be working for a multinational with presence in the US, reach a high level and then get a transfer.
There is no visa you can apply for yourself unless you have many thousands of dollars you can use to invest.

The unfortunate truth is that for the majority of UK people the USA is just somewhere to visit on holiday, it's the country which is the hardest for people to emigrate to. For the two of you to go together you would have to be married.
Old Jul 3rd 2016, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

What about Marina having family over there already? For instance, if/when we marry would that be an easier solution?
Old Jul 3rd 2016, 2:43 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

An uncle is not a close enough relative to petition for Marina. It would need to be a parent or a sibling. Can't you get a transfer with Apple?
Old Jul 3rd 2016, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

Question SO MANY VISA TYPES!!!

Hi all, I have posted a general moving question in another thread.

Myself (29) & my girlfriend (23) are wanting to live and work in LA (Santa Monica). Marina has an Uncle that lives in LA and she has just completed her undergrad degree. I work for Apple and can apply for jobs in the US, how ever i have to sort my visa out. I also have a degree.

My question is, what type of visa should we apply for and how?

Ive read loads but got massively overwhelmed by it all.

thanks and regards
Dan
Old Jul 3rd 2016, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
An uncle is not a close enough relative to petition for Marina. It would need to be a parent or a sibling. Can't you get a transfer with Apple?
I have been offered a Job but have to arrange my own visa.
Old Jul 3rd 2016, 2:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SO MANY VISA TYPES!!!

You can't apply for any work visa. Full stop.

Only an employer can apply for a visa for you, so it sounds like you need to do some digging around internally and find out which jobs Apple is prepared to sponsor a visa for, and take it from there.

If your girlfriend wants to accompany you and be able to work then she will either need to find her own employer-sponsored visa, OR be married to you.
Old Jul 3rd 2016, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

As has already been stated, the employment route appears to be the ONLY option for you and, unless you are in an in-demand management role, it is highly unlikely that Apple would be prepared to get involved in the time consuming, high cost of bringing you in from overseas!

As for all your other questions, it's pointless answering them if you're not going to be moving. If, by some chance, this changes, then ask them at that time.

Enjoy the US as a visitor as it appears to be the only way you're coming.
Old Jul 3rd 2016, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Guindalf
As has already been stated, the employment route appears to be the ONLY option for you and, unless you are in an in-demand management role, it is highly unlikely that Apple would be prepared to get involved in the time consuming, high cost of bringing you in from overseas!

As for all your other questions, it's pointless answering them if you're not going to be moving. If, by some chance, this changes, then ask them at that time.

Enjoy the US as a visitor as it appears to be the only way you're coming.
Thank you for your comforting words and advise...
Old Jul 3rd 2016, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

You can't. Simple as that.

The application MUST come from the sponsoring company, so I suspect they have no idea of what's involved. If they did, I doubt the job offer would exist.
Old Jul 3rd 2016, 2:56 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

You can't - see your other thread. (Maybe the Mods can merge the two threads? )

We see questions like yours from time to time "I've been offered a job, but need to arrange my own visa". The heartbreaking news is that the whole thing is a trick, because without family sponsorship (which can take over ten years anyway), or a very substantial amount to invest, you just can't get a working visa without employer sponsorship.
Old Jul 3rd 2016, 2:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

What is your job with Apple...what are your skills?

Edit: To save confusion...I am merging this thread with your other thread.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 3rd 2016 at 3:19 pm.
Old Jul 3rd 2016, 4:03 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your comforting words and advise...
With respect, we're not here to sugarcoat things for you - we'll give you a realistic view of things. If that conflicts with your view of how things should be... well - you're in for a shock. That's something with which you're going to have to come to terms. The reality is that most people in the world, even those from the UK, will never come to the US as anything other than a visitor.

So, I suggest you do some research from the link provided earlier in this thread, and keep it real.

Ian
Old Jul 3rd 2016, 4:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought the top design guy at Apple is English and they moved him over.
Old Jul 3rd 2016, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Boiler
I thought the top design guy at Apple is English and they moved him over.
Yeah, maybe the TOP guy, but not a Genius Bar employee or someone in a so-called lower position. The OP would need to be at a level that is highly in demand to be considered, I would think.

Oh, and OP, as Ian said, we're not going to sugar-coat anything. I'm sorry you don't like the truth, but it is just that.

Funny how it seems to happen a lot on this forum, people getting hostile when they don't get the answer they want to hear!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.