Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Where do i start im so confused :(

Where do i start im so confused :(

Old Nov 15th 2010, 6:48 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do i start im so confused :(

Originally Posted by AmyCO
Step 2: Your husband needs to file the I-130 packet. The only cost at this point is the I-130 filing fee.
Just a quick note here, that an I-130 is required for EACH person immigrating. There will be a total of 4 people immigrating (rach plus 3 children). So the total fees for filing the I-130's will be $355 x 4 = $1,420. Fees are also going up soon, so double check the fees before filing!

...and your hubby sends off the Affidavit of Support to prove he earns enough to support you (if he doesnt, you need to get a co-sponser who must be a USC)
Just a note that the joint sponsor does not have to be a USC. The joint sponsor can be a USC or US PR, age 18+, and must be domiciled in the USA.

Rene
Old Nov 15th 2010, 7:30 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I recommend this article, which is pinned at the top of the forum and explains the different options in detail: Comparison of Marriage-Based Visas
Old Nov 15th 2010, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

rach1015 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh im aware of the differences in k-1 and k-3 now, after reading these posts.. we have decided to go through the k-1.

getting married in january isnt a big issue but as i was planning on going that soon we were going to get married then

if waiting 6-8 months to get married and then being able to stay is easier then ill go that route ..

im worried to death about taking girls as i know there dads (they have different fathers) wont be happy at all..i know i need permission also and im sure thats going to be a huge hurdle...

its making me feel ill all of it
Old Nov 15th 2010, 8:28 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rach1015
Oh im aware of the differences in k-1 and k-3 now, after reading these posts.. we have decided to go through the k-1.

getting married in january isnt a big issue but as i was planning on going that soon we were going to get married then

if waiting 6-8 months to get married and then being able to stay is easier then ill go that route ..

im worried to death about taking girls as i know there dads (they have different fathers) wont be happy at all..i know i need permission also and im sure thats going to be a huge hurdle...

Since the custody document is the most important thing, you should probably start on that first.
If your FI doesn't earn that basic poverty level income, aren't you concerned about that a little? You won't be eligible to work for several months after arriving, with a K-1.

I'm sorry to pry, but us asking questions often brings up things people had not considered before (like in the other forum, where a guy may not need a visa after all.. he might be a US citizen instead!)
Old Nov 15th 2010, 10:14 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

You can have it "quick" or you can have it "easy". They are usually mutually exclusive - meaning, you can have one or the other, but not both. Quicker but expensive = K-1, because the I-129F petition can be filed right now, but then you have to adjust status after you marry. Easier but cheaper = CR-1, because you don't need to adjust status after you enter the US, but you have to wait until you're married to start the process.

Perhaps your time would be best spent getting permission. Start right now. If there's a snag with this part, then it won't matter how much you love your fiance or whether or not you apply for a visa... the children won't be going anywhere! This would seem to be the necessary first step.

Ian
Old Nov 15th 2010, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of light

My husband and I went through the K1 process (I'm the UKC and parent of one son from a previous marriage) and if we had our time again we would go down the CR1 route. Having to adjust status once you are married is an extra 6 months of paperwork, appointments and waiting that you could do without.

As has been mentioned a few times, you will need written permission from your children's fathers or a court order giving you permission to remove them from the UK. The latter is time consuming and can be difficult to obtain without at least some agreement from the parent who will be left behind in the UK. If you can work the details with the fathers then great. If not, start to research Leave to Remove from the UK (google it) and find a good family lawyer.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

ok.. so a quick update....

After lots of talking.. crying.. worrying.. stressing and research , we have decided to go the cr-1 route..

few reasons really..
1)alot less paper work!
2) cheaper
3) i know im going to be apart from him after we get married but at least once im back i can go straight to work and travel to and from the us to uk

so now we are planning my next trip out there with the kids to get married !!

im so excited

then in the time when i get back and we are sending paper work off he is going to visit here ...

i have spoke to 2/3 dads and it went better then i thought :/ the girls nan who i have alot of respect for as she does have the girls alot (every fortnightly weekend) was just concerned (selfishly i might add) about how she will see the children and who would be paying for them to travel

anyway.. i feel alot better now i can see the plans laid out infront of us

oh and as for the i-184 his sister has offered to be a sponsor too so all good there ... BABY STEPS !! ( in the words of my beloved lol )
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 11:59 pm

oh and as for the i-184 his sister has offered to be a sponsor too so all good there ... BABY STEPS !! ( in the words of my beloved lol )
Glad to see it's working out!

Lately there has been some confusion evidenced here about the two, different Affidavits of Support used in the visa application/permanent residence application.

If you will be applying for Immigrant Visas (please don't use 'CR-1' because you will FREAK out when your kids visas don't say that), the Affidavit of Support you will need is form I-864.

I was concerned that wasn't the right kind of typo in your post, because there is an I-134 also. Sorry, but details are really important in this process.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 12:56 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

As meauxna said, I-864. Your husband MUST be your sponsor on the I-864. If he does not meet the income or asset requirements, he can use a joint sponsor, which could be his sister.

Rene
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
As meauxna said, I-864. Your husband MUST be your sponsor on the I-864. If he does not meet the income or asset requirements, he can use a joint sponsor, which could be his sister.

Rene
yes I-864 is what i meant just forgot caps me and partner keep joking about I-130, d2-300, 4578, 1986's haha so many different numbers and forms... im wondering in time if they couldnt possibly mame it slightly simplier!!

Last edited by rach1015; Nov 23rd 2010 at 8:40 am.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 2:00 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

The forms do all have titles as well as numbers. If numbers cause you confusion, perhaps you might consider referring to the various forms by title instead.

Regards, JEff

yes I-864 is what i meant just forgot caps me and partner keep joking about I-130, d2-300, 4578, 1986's haha so many different numbers and forms... im wondering in time if they couldnt possibly mame it slightly simplier!!
Old Nov 26th 2010, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

i know im ahead of myself here but i want to be organised and i have started to think....

what to do with all my belongings? im thinking of selling most things but i still will have alot to take.. like kids stuff and boxes kids pictures, keep sakes etc.. how can i go about taking more with me then jut a couple of suitcases!!! whats the price of shipping belongings etc.. if anyone has any tips on this id be grateful
Old Nov 26th 2010, 1:13 am

i know im ahead of myself here but i want to be organised and i have started to think....

what to do with all my belongings? im thinking of selling most things but i still will have alot to take.. like kids stuff and boxes kids pictures, keep sakes etc.. how can i go about taking more with me then jut a couple of suitcases!!! whats the price of shipping belongings etc.. if anyone has any tips on this id be grateful
For this topic, check out the general USA forum (not the immigration ones). There's a lot of threads about shipping over there.

Rene
Old Nov 26th 2010, 1:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
For this topic, check out the general USA forum (not the immigration ones). There's a lot of threads about shipping over there.

Rene
have been for last hour lol thanks though found some helpful info
Old Nov 26th 2010, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

AmyCO is just really niceAmyCO is just really niceAmyCO is just really niceAmyCO is just really niceAmyCO is just really niceAmyCO is just really niceAmyCO is just really niceAmyCO is just really nice

The best way i thought of doing it for myself is in stages. I have just returned from the USA after getting married and have sent off the I-130 packet! (eek!)

I am about to start the process of boxing everything up and organising. I plan to ship everything over in medium sized boxes. the cheapest seems to be about £120 per box as long as it weighs no more than 50lbs.

I figure in each trip i take to visit during this process i will take things out with me that i can leave there.

Everything else that isnt immediately needed is going to be boxed up and left with my parents so they can ship it over at a later date. Things such as old school work, photos, winter clothes if its summer and vice versa!

This means i dont have a huge pay-out straight away (considering all the visa and flight fees coming up!) and can ship as and when i need it!

If you need any more help, please dont hesitate to ask!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.