Where to begin ?

Old Feb 25th 2019, 9:03 am
Just Joined

Carlh2019 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to begin ?

Hi,

We are a family of 4, all UK born (plus a German Shepherd). I have been working for the same employer for 20 years and will continue to work for the same employer if we are able to live in the US.

We are looking at various places across the US, quiet towns if possible. Watonga in OK seems a nice place and thats our starting place to look.

I am a software dev manager and work from home anyway so all we need is good fast reliable broadband and I am able to then just work.

We still have a mortgage on our home but I am hoping we can sell up and if possible, use our UK based mortgage company to purchase a home in the US or is that strictly a no-no.

If not, we should have approx £100k down payment on a home - we're expecting to go for a home around the £250k-£300k so I think we'll have enough for a deposit either way.

Where do I start, what steps are involved in getting to the US and in which order - any help would be gratefully received on moving along this process or at least having an idea if its even possible on the above info.

Thanks in advance !

Carl
Old Feb 25th 2019, 9:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to begin ?

This is the best place to start - https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulas...rk_in_the_USA_

Sounds like you've not looked at visas yet, that's your first step. Do be aware that the US is notorious as one of the toughest countries to immigrate to, so you'll need to see if you fit in to the criteria for any of the visas outlined above.

No point in worrying about where to live etc until you've sorted the visa - unless you're fairly wealthy and can 'buy' a green card for $500k, you'll probably need a sponsoring employer and a job that qualifies you for a visa, so you'll just have to go wherever you can find a sponsor & work, you won't get much choice usually.

You can't use a UK mortgage company to buy in the US, you'd need to get a US mortgage instead, but one step at a time - visa first, everything else second!

Good luck.
Old Feb 25th 2019, 9:15 am
Just Joined

Carlh2019 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks !
Old Feb 25th 2019, 11:32 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

'Software Dev Manager' is something that at least sounds like it might, possibly, have some demand.

OP - does your UK employer have any US presence?
Old Feb 25th 2019, 2:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like this is not a Company move, so on the basis of just wanting to relocate you have not suggested any route.
Old Feb 25th 2019, 2:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
This is the best place to start - https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulas...rk_in_the_USA_

Sounds like you've not looked at visas yet, that's your first step. …..
This!

Please let us know what visa you are eligible for, because until then, with all due respect, you are wasting your time, and ours, by considering any other questions.
Old Feb 25th 2019, 2:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Intra-company transfer?
Or fancy Florida?

Update:
' I have been with the same employer for 20 years and there is no issue to remain employed while living there in the US'

No issue? Ok...they must provide a job offer and arrange a visa. Cause otherwise that's a major issue.
You cannot do this yourself.
Are they prepared to do that?

Last edited by Hotscot; Feb 25th 2019 at 3:33 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2019, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
'Software Dev Manager' is something that at least sounds like it might, possibly, have some demand.

OP - does your UK employer have any US presence?
I'd disagree. Software developers are a dime a dozen.

Most development managers I've ever encountered are just dev's that have moved up from a lead to a manager. I'd imagine a tough time trying to justify your skills were needed unless you were at a director level/CTO level but, just my two-cents.
Old Feb 25th 2019, 7:26 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

I’ve been to Watonga. I’m not sure what’s alluring about it, honestly.
Old Feb 25th 2019, 7:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
OMG! I hadn't realized its in Oklahoma! That would be near the bottom of places I would choose to live, right after all the expensive states in New England, New Jersey, and the PNW; there even a few parts of California that I would consider before Oklahoma.
Old Feb 25th 2019, 8:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

You don't say if your UK company has a US office.

If not, then you won't be eligible for a transfer visa (L1).

In that case how are you intending to move as you need a work visa to do so - unless you are looking at investment visas.
Old Feb 25th 2019, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
You don't say if your UK company has a US office.

If not, then you won't be eligible for a transfer visa (L1). …..
That's almost, but not absolutely true, as he could be sent on an L-1 to open a US office for his employer.
Old Feb 25th 2019, 9:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That's almost, but not absolutely true, as he could be sent on an L-1 to open a US office for his employer.

From his earlier posting it sounds as though he intends to work from home for his UK company ...... no mention of any US offices or affiliations.....
Old Feb 25th 2019, 10:47 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
It certainly doesn’t sound alluring, thanks for the confirmation! OP, have you visited this town or did you throw a dart at the map? In all seriousness, I would never think of moving to anywhere in the middle of the country without having visited. It’s a different world....
Old Feb 25th 2019, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
It certainly doesn’t sound alluring, thanks for the confirmation! OP, have you visited this town or did you throw a dart at the map? …..
My bet is that either it's the ridiculously cheap property prices there, or he is a huge fan of Donald Duck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.