Wikiposts

When can we go???

Old Aug 23rd 2011, 7:57 am
Just Joined

potcake is an unknown quantity at this point
Default When can we go???

Hi all,

I have been a PR in Canada now for a year, we came in September 2008. However the situation has changed at home, my dad has vascular dementia and my mum needs help. We are in the process of applying for a uk unmarried spouse visa, however we are concerned about giving up two highly paid jobs here in Canada for no work back in the UK. If we are sucessfull with our application can go to the UK, my DH can have interviews with recruiters, he can 'land' and then we could come back until we can find jobs? Would that work?

Please dont think I am being selfish re my parents, but we do need to eat! and pay bills, had we known about my dad a year ago we would have saved, but this is all new, and we havent

Its all very frustrating, and I know it will all work out, for my own sanity I just need to have some sort of timeline.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 1:47 am
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all
Default Re: When can we go???

Originally Posted by potcake
Hi all,

I have been a PR in Canada now for a year, we came in September 2008. However the situation has changed at home, my dad has vascular dementia and my mum needs help. We are in the process of applying for a uk unmarried spouse visa, however we are concerned about giving up two highly paid jobs here in Canada for no work back in the UK. If we are sucessfull with our application can go to the UK, my DH can have interviews with recruiters, he can 'land' and then we could come back until we can find jobs? Would that work?

Please dont think I am being selfish re my parents, but we do need to eat! and pay bills, had we known about my dad a year ago we would have saved, but this is all new, and we havent

Its all very frustrating, and I know it will all work out, for my own sanity I just need to have some sort of timeline.
To take the presure off, is there some other route you could take?
Could you take time off / holiday / give up your job and go to UK alone to attend parents / find job while your partner stays working in Canada, for a while anyway until things become more clear?
Old Aug 27th 2011, 2:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.J
To take the presure off, is there some other route you could take?
Could you take time off / holiday / give up your job and go to UK alone to attend parents / find job while your partner stays working in Canada, for a while anyway until things become more clear?
+1. Sounds like a good idea.

OP - of course you need to eat you don't need to apologise for that. If just you go back initially you keep one source of income coming in.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 2:49 am
Just Joined

Thank you for the replies. I think we are going to apply just before christmas, hopefully he will get the visa, then I can go over to the uk, get work, and we just keep applying for work for my OH. He has a couple of over the telephone interviews lined up even though we havent got his visa yet, the companies are still willing to talk. Things are looking hopeful!!!!
Old Aug 28th 2011, 9:08 am
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

You do need to prove the non UK citizen won't need public funds, so if the Brit doesn't have a job and you have no savings this can be difficult and you may need a co-sponsor.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 8:30 am
Just Joined

We do have an extra income of about 1800 GBP per month, we were hoping to save this up over the next 12 months or so, savings wise because of the change in plan we have little.
Because I was not working in Canada from Sept 2008 to November 2010 I used the income to live on so nothing got saved. I am hoping this will be enough. My OH is determined not to come over until he has found work. We are trying to do the right thing.

Do you think that because we have just got my Canadian PR that will help my OH?
Old Aug 29th 2011, 11:23 am
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by potcake
My OH is determined not to come over until he has found work. We are trying to do the right thing.

Do you think that because we have just got my Canadian PR that will help my OH?
I think he will find it difficult to get a job without having the visa first and physically being in the UK.

I don't think you having Canadia PR will make any difference.