When able to start work?

Old Jun 21st 2016, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

Parisangel will become famous soon enough
Default Re: When able to start work?

Originally Posted by Orangepants
I think you are asking with an approved I-140, can you get an EAD? Our lawyer informed us on our last call that this is a proposed rule that is still being discussed and there hasn't been much progress within DHS recently. So at the moment, only after adjustment are you eligible to get an EAD.
That's great, thanks so much!
Old Jun 22nd 2016, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

I understand the process and this thread confused me!!

The purpose of the EAD is to let you work while the green card process is underway. There is often a (large) gap between when you apply and when you receive the EAD. I applied via adjustment of status due to marriage, and my EAD took 81 days I believe.

PS: If you leave em long enough, they will eventually sleep
Old Jun 22nd 2016, 2:00 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Parisangel
Yes, but the approval comes before that, I think it's the I-140...
Once the I-140 petition is approved, you can submit the I-485. It'll take about 6 months for the I-485 to be processed. As part of the I-485 submission, you can submit form I-765 in order to get permission to work. That permission usually takes 60-90 days to arrive but you will be able to start work sooner than if you waited for the I-485 application to be approved. Currently (and likely for the foreseeable future) you can't apply for an EAD based solely on an I-140 petition. You can only apply for an EAD when you apply to adjust your status as part of the I-485 paperwork.

In future, please use form numbers. It may seem like simple semantics to you, but each form has a specific purpose - and it helps to quell confusion in the conversation. Had you said, for example, "when the I-140 is approved" in your first post rather than "when its been approved" we could have cut through hours of confusion. As I mentioned earlier, pronouns don't work.

Ian
Old Jun 22nd 2016, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Once the I-140 petition is approved, you can submit the I-485. It'll take about 6 months for the I-485 to be processed. As part of the I-485 submission, you can submit form I-765 in order to get permission to work. That permission usually takes 60-90 days to arrive but you will be able to start work sooner than if you waited for the I-485 application to be approved. Currently (and likely for the foreseeable future) you can't apply for an EAD based solely on an I-140 petition. You can only apply for an EAD when you apply to adjust your status as part of the I-485 paperwork.

In future, please use form numbers. It may seem like simple semantics to you, but each form has a specific purpose - and it helps to quell confusion in the conversation. Had you said, for example, "when the I-140 is approved" in your first post rather than "when its been approved" we could have cut through hours of confusion. As I mentioned earlier, pronouns don't work.

Ian
So sorry about wasting hours of your time with my lack of knowledge of form numbers and poor parenting skills. Thanks for the information.
Old Jun 22nd 2016, 3:08 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

My question would be, if the OP uses the EAD to work for a different employer, will the sponsoring company still continue the green card process?

Rene
Old Jun 22nd 2016, 2:15 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry about wasting hours of your time with my lack of knowledge of form numbers...
To clarify, it's not just my time - it's everyone who tried to answer your questions without you being clear about what it is you were talking about.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Jun 22nd 2016 at 2:25 pm.
Old Jun 22nd 2016, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
To clarify, it's not just my time - it's everyone who tried to answer your questions without you being clear about what it is you were talking about.

Ian
It seemed ok to me initially as I was not aware of the requirement to provide specific form numbers as I'm pretty new to this and came looking for help, not admonishment. I do find your approach rather disheartening, not sure why you need to be so rude. Your issues I guess. Please don't respond to this or any future post I may make (as I'm sure it won't meet your standards) as I really can't be bothered dealing with people like you who seem to find pleasure in being unpleasant.
Old Jun 22nd 2016, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
My question would be, if the OP uses the EAD to work for a different employer, will the sponsoring company still continue the green card process?

Rene
That's not the case here. Thanks.
Old Jun 22nd 2016, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

It seemed ok to me initially as I was not aware of the requirement to provide specific form numbers as I'm pretty new to this and came looking for help, not admonishment. I do find your approach rather disheartening, not sure why you need to be so rude. Your issues I guess. Please don't respond to this or any future post I may make (as I'm sure it won't meet your standards) as I really can't be bothered dealing with people like you who seem to find pleasure in being unpleasant.
The entire process is stressful. In my case I am applying for my GC with an EAD also in process. This is an AOS from an H1B through marriage to a US citizen. Although it can be confusing, you are muddling through the process in a state of panic and lashing out at people who are trying to help you.

I use this forum, second to my attorney who I probably did not need, but provided the peace of mind you clearly need.

Calm down.
Old Jun 22nd 2016, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PetrifiedExPat
The entire process is stressful. In my case I am applying for my GC with an EAD also in process. This is an AOS from an H1B through marriage to a US citizen. Although it can be confusing, you are muddling through the process in a state of panic and lashing out at people who are trying to help you.

I use this forum, second to my attorney who I probably did not need, but provided the peace of mind you clearly need.

Calm down.
I'm not in a state of panic, just apparently very ill informed. I'm not stressed, just looking for information. The hostility is bemusing! I think actually calling out rudeness is perfectly fair. I'll look for information elsewhere I guess. It's sad though, this site can be so useful and I met one of my best friends in Texas on here.
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 12:35 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Well, he did take the time to answer your questions. I, on the other hand, couldn't be bothered to disentangle the question. Good luck.
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Well, he did take the time to answer your questions. I, on the other hand, couldn't be bothered to disentangle the question. Good luck.
See, this is what I'm talking about, why is it necessary to make snarky comments? What happened to being friendly, helpful, supportive? I thanked the other poster for the information, just a shame it came with a whole bunch of attitude and suggestions on my parenting. If my question was unclear, please do ask for more explanation, but not in such a rude way, seriously! Why bother coming on here and responding to good, well meaning folk if it annoys you so much??? Sheeesh.
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 3:19 am
Banned

az2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond repute

See, this is what I'm talking about, why is it necessary to make snarky comments? What happened to being friendly, helpful, supportive? I thanked the other poster for the information, just a shame it came with a whole bunch of attitude and suggestions on my parenting. If my question was unclear, please do ask for more explanation, but not in such a rude way, seriously! Why bother coming on here and responding to good, well meaning folk if it annoys you so much??? Sheeesh.
From what I have read on this thread you are the one who has been rude and made sarcastic comments to people who tried to help you.

You sound very high maintanence and someone who expects everything to be given to them on a plate.

Sounds like you are the one who should stop posting on here and go elsewhere instead of moaning.
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

I'm anything but that, how hurtful. I was just looking for information, I'm a lively person and speak and probably post in an animated fashion, but never, ever rudely unprovoked. I didn't expect people to be rude and hostile, but if you are, it tends to bring out the same in the recipient I will NOT be bullied.. I expect nothing handed to me on a plate, if you only knew how hard we'd worked to get to this point. I'm really sad and feel this site is quite poisoned, so I'll be taking your advice. I wish you all lovely lives.
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 3:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I think the OP has got the answers she is looking for...therefore I am putting this thread to bed.

Thread closed.