what's wrong with the office?

Old May 24th 2001, 5:20 am
Nataliya Roslikova

Hi, everyone! Please, help me to undertand. I have arrive in USA on the 15-th of
April 2001 as a DV lottery winner. On the 17-th of April I applied in social security
office for the social security card. They said that I have applied to the wrong
office and they will check my legal status now through the immigration office. I will
take from two to 4 months. BUT I AM LEGALLY ADMIITED. Now I have to wait months till
I will get my social security card and without it I have no possibility to get the
job. WHY all this happen? What shall I do? Shall I wait till they check or what can I
do? How to prove to them that I am legal? Thanks in advance, Nataliya

Old May 27th 2001, 2:20 am
Ed MacNeil

Hi Nataliya,

THIS SHOULD NOT BE CONSTRUED TO BE LEGAL ADVICE. I AM NOT A LAWYER. I DON'T EVEN PLAY
ONE ON TV!

I think you encountered an employee of the Social Security Administration who was
misinformed.

When you entered the US you should have received a stamp in your passport that reads
something like "...processed for I-551...". An I-551 is known as a green card. Thus,
the stamp in your passport is proof that you are a permanent resident. You should
have filled out an application for a social security card and presented your passport
with this stamp as proof of your permanent residence. If for any reason the clerk
wanted to check your status they have the means to do this electronically.

I'd suggest you go back to the Social Security office again with your passport and if
your application for a social security card is not accepted ask to speak with a
supervisor.

Ed MacNeil Ancient Aviator North Hampton, NH, USA

Nataliya Roslikova wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old May 27th 2001, 2:54 am
Marilou920

my understanding to Nataliya was she did show her passport but the SS want to know
her legality, since the INS officer told her it will take few months to enter her
legality as a permanent residency. I told her to ask the officer of whoever told her
that to get in writing and show her passport. So that she could used that for
applying the SS. it also happen to my sister she is here as spousal petition, she
show her passport even talk to the supervisor but SS are not knowledgeable regarding
INS. What my brother in law did, they gather all there paper of INS that she is
legally and immigrant. it did solve there problems. I'm not a lawyer, this is not
legal advise, I'm speaking thru expereinced.