Wikiposts

What's the point of the VWP?

Old Sep 16th 2006, 7:57 am
Just Joined

madeinengland is an unknown quantity at this point
Question What's the point of the VWP?

I know what the VWP enables people to do BUT my question is, I've been denied a Tourist Visa because I have a girlfriend in the U.S. I AM, however, still able to travel on the VWP.
I have researched that immigration officers dont like you to visit girlfriends incase you do a runner & get married!! So what's the point of the VWP if it doesn't do anything to ensure my return? Surely there are a million reasons why people could run off to America and never come back! why the problem with girlfriends?

Being British and in a country who is allied to America I thought there could be a little leniency, I know my Grandfather did his bit!

Anyone could go missing in America, Anyone!
Old Sep 16th 2006, 8:27 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's the point of the VWP?

Originally Posted by madeinengland
I know what the VWP enables people to do BUT my question is, I've been denied a Tourist Visa because I have a girlfriend in the U.S. I AM, however, still able to travel on the VWP.
I have researched that immigration officers dont like you to visit girlfriends incase you do a runner & get married!! So what's the point of the VWP if it doesn't do anything to ensure my return? Surely there are a million reasons why people could run off to America and never come back! why the problem with girlfriends?

Being British and in a country who is allied to America I thought there could be a little leniency, I know my Grandfather did his bit!

The VW was introduced to slow down the massive increase in traffic at US Consulates worldwide after a huge increase in tourism..
The idea was to save visa application for the longer visit people and to allow for the people coming on vacation for just a few weeks to come in and out easier... Of course you have to remember US citizens don't get 6 weeks vacation every year... A two week vacation is more the norm...

The VW was not designed for you to get Rumpy Pumpy on a regular basis...

Last edited by Ray; Sep 16th 2006 at 8:40 am.
Old Sep 16th 2006, 8:35 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

<yawn> Why are the Brits the only ones who make this 'we're your ally, dammit!' argument?

Post history--this is a follow up: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=395459

Why the problem with girlfriends? Have you not been paying attention? Girlfriends can become wives very easily, and wives get to move husbands to the front of the line. People without romantic entanglements in the US are less likely to stay than those with.
The VWP is offered to citizens of countries who have not abused their visitor system (much). When enough people do a runner, the privledge will be pulled.

Why don't you start working on solution ideas instead of railing against something you will not change (US immigration policy)?
Old Sep 16th 2006, 9:32 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: What's the point of the VWP?

Originally Posted by meauxna
<yawn> Why are the Brits the only ones who make this 'we're your ally, dammit!' argument?

Post history--this is a follow up: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=395459

Why the problem with girlfriends? Have you not been paying attention? Girlfriends can become wives very easily, and wives get to move husbands to the front of the line. People without romantic entanglements in the US are less likely to stay than those with.
The VWP is offered to citizens of countries who have not abused their visitor system (much). When enough people do a runner, the privledge will be pulled.

Why don't you start working on solution ideas instead of railing against something you will not change (US immigration policy)?

Maybe, if the OP is still unclear on the points you have raised, this would be a good time to call the 1-800-Information line?
Old Sep 16th 2006, 9:37 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Maybe, if the OP is still unclear on the points you have raised, this would be a good time to call the 1-800-Information line?
Bit difficult if your in the UK .....
Old Sep 16th 2006, 9:41 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: What's the point of the VWP?

Originally Posted by Ray
Bit difficult if your in the UK .....

Sorry, forgot...

But doesn't the US Consulate have a very useful Helline number??...
Old Sep 16th 2006, 9:53 am
Ray

Sorry, forgot...

But doesn't the US Consulate have a very useful Helline number??...
Of course.. it goes to a little old lady in the Scottish highland
at about 3 pounds a minute .... and I'm not kidding ...
Old Sep 16th 2006, 9:54 am
Homebody

Originally Posted by Ray
Of course.. it goes to a little old lady in the Scottish highland
at about 3 pounds a minute .... and I'm not kidding ...
But why didn't you let him find this out himself?
Old Sep 16th 2006, 9:59 am
Joe Feise

meauxna wrote on 09/16/06 13:35:

> <yawn> Why are the Brits the only ones who make this 'we're your ally,
    > dammit!' argument?

I also always shake my head about that.
To the OP: this "ally" BS doesn't matter. Before the Brits became US allies,
they were the enemy... Hint: Boston Tea Party and all the stuff that followed...
Laws are the same for everybody. Plain and simple.

> The VWP is offered to citizens of countries who have not abused their
    > visitor system (much). When enough people do a runner, the privledge
    > will be pulled.

Exactly.
And why would somebody from Western Europe "go running" in the US, work
lowest-level jobs as illegal, when they can make a decent living, legally, in
Europe? It is not that the UK is a Third-World country with high poverty rates...

-Joe
--
I am not a lawyer.
For reliable advice, consult a competent immigration attorney.

Old Sep 16th 2006, 10:03 am
Ray

But why didn't you let him find this out himself?
I think he only has the one degree......
Old Sep 16th 2006, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
The VW was introduced to slow down the massive increase in traffic at US Consulates worldwide after a huge increase in tourism..
The idea was to save visa application for the longer visit people and to allow for the people coming on vacation for just a few weeks to come in and out easier... Of course you have to remember US citizens don't get 6 weeks vacation every year... A two week vacation is more the norm...

The VW was not designed for you to get Rumpy Pumpy on a regular basis...
Believe me it's a lot more than 'Rumpy Pumpy' you banana! lol
Old Sep 16th 2006, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
I think he only has the one degree......
Why would I want any more than one degree? If I have a specific job field im interested in...one is all ya need!
Old Sep 16th 2006, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna

Well... none of that was helpful. lol. You honestly think that i'm not thinking of solutions!? Everybody is so judgmental and rude in these forums! So as far as solutions go... you got any ideas? 'cos i've been busting my brain for months.
Old Sep 16th 2006, 9:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Is she a yank? My blokey is in the US, he's a Brit. I have no problems, other than them questioning why the hell I am allowed to have 4 weeks or 5 weeks holidays cos that's WAAAAYYYY too long (and I quote the lovely immigration official on that).
Old Sep 16th 2006, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Joe Feise

Exactly.
And why would somebody from Western Europe "go running" in the US, work
lowest-level jobs as illegal, when they can make a decent living, legally, in
Europe? It is not that the UK is a Third-World country with high poverty rates...

-Joe
--
I am not a lawyer.
For reliable advice, consult a competent immigration attorney.
Great point! I am well settled in my country and proud of it too. It's not like i'm a Pakistani looking for a better life in the U.S! This is what i meant by leniancy. (my very 1st post) I just don't think I have any reason to run. As funny as it may sound I don't look like the type of guy to do it and i have a whole history of a good stable life here in the U.K. Belive me, if i wanted to get married i'd do it the legal way! I wouldn't want to be hiding all my life after all that i have achieved in this life. Not to mention that I have a bachelors degree & intend to use it!

Your point exactly Joe, why would I throw all that i have now away for a life of worry & misery hoping i dont get found in the U.S. lol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.