Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

What visa to move family to Florida

What visa to move family to Florida

Old Sep 14th 2019, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

Jesjk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What visa to move family to Florida

Hi all

Here’s our circumstances
My husband works for a company in the uk that has branches in the US and the parent is a large American company (scientific/biological industry). He is the only person in his department in the uk, and the head of his counterpart US department has just resigned. He has been asked to take this persons place but exactly how is not yet decided. Likely all operations are being brought to the uk within 2 years, however if in the meantime he is asked to move to Florida I would like to be prepared.

His stats
Polish with British citizenship
education to degree level (masters)
highly skilled in his job

My stats
British
education to degree level
chartered accountant
highly experienced and run uk business (unable to move this to US)

We have two young children. We don’t have cash to invest in the US.
We own our property in the south west outright and intend to keep it for our return.

I think my husband will be ok with the transfer for work. But where do I stand? It seems I can go with him if I don’t work? There isn’t a visa I would benefit in my own right so would be dependent on him I think...

thanks
Jess

Old Sep 14th 2019, 8:45 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What visa to move family to Florida

Originally Posted by Jesjk
Hi all

Here’s our circumstances
My husband works for a company in the uk that has branches in the US and the parent is a large American company (scientific/biological industry). He is the only person in his department in the uk, and the head of his counterpart US department has just resigned. He has been asked to take this persons place but exactly how is not yet decided. Likely all operations are being brought to the uk within 2 years, however if in the meantime he is asked to move to Florida I would like to be prepared.

His stats
Polish with British citizenship
education to degree level (masters)
highly skilled in his job

My stats
British
education to degree level
chartered accountant
highly experienced and run uk business (unable to move this to US)

We have two young children. We don’t have cash to invest in the US.
We own our property in the south west outright and intend to keep it for our return.

I think my husband will be ok with the transfer for work. But where do I stand? It seems I can go with him if I don’t work? There isn’t a visa I would benefit in my own right so would be dependent on him I think...

thanks
Jess

what visa is a question for the company. Likely L1. You seem to already know about this.
Old Sep 14th 2019, 8:55 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Seems like an L1 for him, since it's intercompany transfer.

You would get an L2 which allows you to apply for an EAD once inside the USA. Once you have the EAD you are allowed to work.

Rene
Old Sep 14th 2019, 9:20 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

As others said, your husband would or should be eligible for an L-1 visa since it would be a job transfer within the same company. Those are easy to obtain and allows the spouse dependent to work after entry once they have applied for and obtained the employment authorization document.

You seem to initially be talking of the H-1B which is the one that does not allow you to work.
Old Sep 15th 2019, 5:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I would fiorst question is whether it is worthwhile you and the children going for such a short period. How would you operate your business?
Old Sep 16th 2019, 2:04 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

If an L1 visa were on the cards ( sounds like the best option) then you would get the L2. As others have already said, this would allow you to work once you have the work permit (EAD). From what I hear, it's taking 4-6 months for the EAD to arrive after it has been applied for. This means that you can't even work in your own business whilst physically present in the USA. Nothing stopping you coming over and activating the L2 at the same time as your husband arrives. You could then get the application for the EAD going, apply for the SSN and then go back to the UK until the EAD arrives. That's assuming that you could make arrangements for cover for your business whilst you are away.
Since you are on the East Coast with a time difference of 5 hours, it would be possible to cover UK working hours albeit with some early mornings if you think you could do this remotely?
Declaring earnings to the IRS might need a bit of thought and prep though - you've probably got the contacts to ask about that though.