Wikiposts

what visa can spouse work on?

Old Feb 12th 2010, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

tessiej is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what visa can spouse work on?

I am currently a mature student with a F1 visa, at the end of my studies i considered staying in the US by finding an HB1 or Eb3 sponsor. My spouse is staying at home in the uk as there was little point him coming while i did my studies as we still need to pay the mortgage back home and he would not be allowed to work on my F1 visa etc. I have just discovered that if i get an HB1 visa he would not be able to work on this either, can anyone confirm if this is correct? Is there any visa i would be able to apply for that would let him join me in the US and work? With the children (i brought them with me and of course they are all missing daddy) one wage is unlikely to support all of us.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 2:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: what visa can spouse work on?

Correct

He could apply for his own.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
Correct

He could apply for his own.
unfortunately he doesn't have the qualification to be considerd skilled to enable him to get a visa in his own right, although he has always worked this has been in mannual unskilled labor.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 2:57 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tessiej
unfortunately he doesn't have the qualification to be considerd skilled to enable him to get a visa in his own right, although he has always worked this has been in mannual unskilled labor.
One option is for you to go back home after your studies and work for an international company (one who has a US office) for a year, with a goal to be transferred on an L visa. The spouse of an L visa holder can get an EAD and work in the USA.

Not sure what your field is, and if that plan will work for you.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Feb 12th 2010 at 3:04 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
One option is for you to go back home after your studies and work for an international company (one who has a US office) for a year, with a goal to be transferred on an L visa. The spouse of an L visa holder can get an EAD and work in the USA.

Not sure what your field is, and if that plan will work for you.

Rene
No it wouldn't as i am in education
Old Feb 12th 2010, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

If you get a J-1 visa (common in academia for post-docs and some other cases) your husband could apply for a J-2, which is eligible for EAD (though income from this is supposed only to supplement the family income rather than to support the J-1 primary).
Old Feb 12th 2010, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tessiej
I am currently a mature student with a F1 visa, at the end of my studies i considered staying in the US by finding an HB1 or Eb3 sponsor. My spouse is staying at home in the uk as there was little point him coming while i did my studies as we still need to pay the mortgage back home and he would not be allowed to work on my F1 visa etc. I have just discovered that if i get an HB1 visa he would not be able to work on this either, can anyone confirm if this is correct? Is there any visa i would be able to apply for that would let him join me in the US and work? With the children (i brought them with me and of course they are all missing daddy) one wage is unlikely to support all of us.
Even if you go for EB3 you will be affected by retrogression and have a long long wait ahead of you and probably have to return home whilst waiting