what visa?

Old Apr 17th 2009, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

Teira is just really niceTeira is just really niceTeira is just really niceTeira is just really niceTeira is just really niceTeira is just really niceTeira is just really niceTeira is just really nice
Default what visa?

I'm just curious what visa I will need. My husband, daughter and I will be moving to the USA after I graduate university in 2012 I know it's a long way off but I'm just wondering what visa I would need, what proof of relationship they need and how much it costs? My daughter has duel citizenship so it's not a problem it's just me that will need the visa (I'm a UK citizen).
Old Apr 17th 2009, 8:02 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what visa?

Originally Posted by Teira
I'm just curious what visa I will need. My husband, daughter and I will be moving to the USA after I graduate university in 2012 I know it's a long way off but I'm just wondering what visa I would need, what proof of relationship they need and how much it costs? My daughter has duel citizenship so it's not a problem it's just me that will need the visa (I'm a UK citizen).
Hi Teira, Welcome to BE.

Just to be clear, your husband is a USC? And your daugher is dual USA/UK?

If so, you will need an Immigrant Visa. If your husband has been living in the UK, and will be living in the UK at the time you need to file, he can file an I-130 directly to the US Embassy in London...if that's still possible by the time 2012 rolls around (policies can change).

If the I-130 is filed in London, the process only takes around 6 - 8 months (current times....they can and do change over time).

If the I-130 is filed in the USA, the process takes around 8 - 10 months (current times....they can and do change over time).

So....about 1 year before you're ready actually make the final move, come on back to visit us, and see what the processing times look like, and see whether he's able to file the I-130 in the UK or not.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Apr 17th 2009, 8:03 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

1. Proof of relationship = marriage certificate.

2. Cost = will most likely change by 2012, so check back closer to the time you will be applying. Current cost is around $2,000 total, including all the immigration fees and medical.

Rene
Old Apr 17th 2009, 8:06 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just curious what visa I will need.
On the assumption that your husband is a US citizen (you don't actually say), you will want to get an "immigrant" visa (either CR-1 or IR-1 depending on how long you've been married). Your husband will start the process by filing form I-130 either to a service center in the US *or*, depending on his status in the UK, directly to the US Embassy in London.

... what proof of relationship they need and how much it costs?
Well, you'll need a copy of your marriage certificate, copies of your husband's most recent 3 years (it might only be one year... need to check that) worth of US tax returns, proof that he is domiciled in or intends to domicile in the US, proof of income/assets sufficient to satisfy the requirements of form I-864. There's more stuff... but I don't want to frighten you off! Start by reading the Wiki... it's up in the blue bar at the top of each page.

My daughter has duel citizenship...
She will require a US passport to enter the US, as will your husband.

Ian
Old Apr 17th 2009, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

Teira is just really niceTeira is just really niceTeira is just really niceTeira is just really niceTeira is just really niceTeira is just really niceTeira is just really niceTeira is just really nice

Yes my husband is a USC. My daughter has passports for both England and the US so she's not an issue and obviously my husband has a passport.

Most likely it would be that he would be going ahead of us for pratical reasons. I have a house in the UK and he hasn't ever worked in the US so has no tax returns would that complicate stuff? We got married when he finished highschool and he's been a stay at home dad over here looking after my daughter so he's never worked here.

He's planning on going to university when he goes to the US and thats why he's going ahead of me as he wants to be able to sponsor me? I need a sponsor right? Oh and he wants to know if his father who is a retired VA can co sponsor as he said he would if he could (he lives with us too).

The only reason why we are here really is because I am at university and won't finish until 2012 but I think my husband wants to move to a diffirent state so that he can persue his degree and then we may move after he's graduated. We will have been married for 3 years this year and by the time we move we will have been married for almost 6 years. I heard something about 6 years. Would it be best to wait until our 6th aniversery before moving or does it not make any diffirence?

Basically my daughter is quite young and we are moving when she's about 4 before she starts kindergarden as not to interupt her education with two diffirent systems.

10 months sounds an awefully long time for a family to be apart I'll deffinatly come back here in 2 years to find out all the infomation and stuff for my visa process as we can't afford a lawyer on top of everything so I'm filing the paperwork myself (I'm good at paperwork).
Old Apr 17th 2009, 8:22 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

It is your choice to be separated. If your husband has legal residency rights in the UK, i.e. Indefinite Leave to Remain, there is no reason why he cannot petition for your Immediate Relative Visa while still residing in the US and then you all come to the UK together. I don't know what your father-in-law is retired from ... what is a VA .. but if his retirement income is enough to cover him and his household and you, then he qualifies to be your co-sponsor in addition to your husband.

Last edited by Rete; Apr 17th 2009 at 10:26 pm. Reason: Corrected typo US should be UK
Old Apr 17th 2009, 8:22 pm

Most likely it would be that he would be going ahead of us for pratical reasons.
In that case, he'll file the I-130 to a service center in the USA, about a year before you plan to make the move to the USA.

I have a house in the UK and he hasn't ever worked in the US so has no tax returns would that complicate stuff? We got married when he finished highschool and he's been a stay at home dad over here looking after my daughter so he's never worked here.
If he's never worked, period, then he was not obligated to file a tax return. If he's working in the USA once he gets there, and earns enough income, he should start filing one.

He's planning on going to university when he goes to the US and thats why he's going ahead of me as he wants to be able to sponsor me?
Yes?

I need a sponsor right?
Yes. Your husband will be your sponsor, even if he doesn't earn enough income or have enough assets. He can get a Joint Sponsor if needed.

Oh and he wants to know if his father who is a retired VA can co sponsor as he said he would if he could (he lives with us too).
Yes, this is possible, if your father in law earns enough to sponsor.

We will have been married for 3 years this year and by the time we move we will have been married for almost 6 years. I heard something about 6 years. Would it be best to wait until our 6th aniversery before moving or does it not make any diffirence?
There is nothing special about a 3-year or a 6-year marriage. It makes no difference either way. No need to wait.

10 months sounds an awefully long time for a family to be apart I'll deffinatly come back here in 2 years to find out all the infomation and stuff for my visa process as we can't afford a lawyer on top of everything so I'm filing the paperwork myself (I'm good at paperwork).
Well, if your husband is moving to the USA ahead of you, won't you be spending even more than 10 months apart? How far ahead of you was he planning to move? If you don't want to spend ANY time apart, then your husband should not move to the USA ahead of you, but should remain living in the USA until several months before you want to move over too, and have him file the I-130 in the UK instead.

Rene
Old Apr 17th 2009, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

He's a vietnam (I hope I spelled that correctly) vetran. He's retired from the US airforce. Alright thanks for the advice. I'll start saving up some money to go toward my visa.
Old Apr 17th 2009, 8:25 pm

He's a vietnam (I hope I spelled that correctly) vetran. He's retired from the US airforce. Alright thanks for the advice. I'll start saving up some money to go toward my visa.
My father used his military retirement income to sponsor someone. It's allowed.

Rene
Old Apr 17th 2009, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

Oh Thanks Rene that was really helpful!
Old Apr 17th 2009, 10:37 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

Capitalize the "V" and you have it correct. Commonly known as 'Nam from veterans of that era.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

AlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond repute

Vietnam in upper case (as Mr. F) indicates. Veteran seems to have been misspelt...
There is a spell check option before you submit the reply...