Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

What is a typical/average N-400 interview like?

What is a typical/average N-400 interview like?

Old Sep 3rd 2013, 8:48 pm
Account Closed

TJW & ACW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What is a typical/average N-400 interview like?

Biometrics in 2 weeks. Figure the wife's naturalization interview will be in mid October.

What are the normal things or the expected things they'll ask during an average naturalization interview? I know everyone is going to be a little different, I'm just curious about what my wife should be ready for.

Looking around online, it seems like they just review your N-400, verify the info, and do the civics/english test. A couple of people we know that's went through it make it sound like you're getting the third degree about every little detail of your marriage and life
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 8:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is a typical/average N-400 interview like?

Originally Posted by TJW & ACW
Looking around online, it seems like they just review your N-400, verify the info, and do the civics/english test.
Pretty much what mine was.

A couple of people we know that's went through it make it sound like you're getting the third degree about every little detail of your marriage and life
Without knowing their full immigration history there could be any number of reasons for that. Arrests, a lot of travel, questions raised on removal of conditions may be checked...
Old Sep 4th 2013, 2:54 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TJW & ACW
Looking around online, it seems like they just review your N-400, verify the info, and do the civics/english test. A couple of people we know that's went through it make it sound like you're getting the third degree about every little detail of your marriage and life
I would say out of the whole US immigration process, it's the easiest and less stressful of them all.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 6:32 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Not at all stressful.

I took a large binder full of supporting evidence. I placed binder tabs on each section so I could quickly find the paperwork when asked.
I ended up being naturalized immediately after my interview, without prior notice this could happen. I was told they had a ceremony in an hour, and if I wanted I could be a part of that one. Eager to be done with the whole process I took their offer. I had to call my wife to drive over ASAP so she could see it.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 9:59 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Had mine yesterday, so I'm happy to share -

Interview was scheduled for 2:10pm, got there around 1:50. Was in a waiting room with a few other people and their partners. Was called into the ck room at about 2:20. Interviewer was a young female, professionally friendly.

The first thing was to swear to tell the truth - very formal, standing up, hand in the air, etc.

She then asked for my green card and driver's license. After that was a brief review of my application, verifying answers, double-checking that I wasn't a terrorist and had never been a member of the communist party. She asked if I would be willing to join the armed forces if required, I said yes and joked that if they wanted me at my age! She smiled.

I had to read the sentence, "where is the White House" then I had to write, "the White House is in Washington DC"

The civics test was 10 randomly selected questions. There were 10 questions on her sheet but she stopped after I answered the first 6 correct.

She then tapped some keys on her computer, had me sign a couple of pages, stamped the forms and told me she was recommending I be approved (this is a stock answer, so don't worry if you think you haven't passed.) she then told me to expect a letter with a date for the oath ceremony in 4-6 weeks. She congratulated me, gave me a letter confirming this and I was done.

Out the door at 2:40
Old Sep 4th 2013, 10:47 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

ScousePete's answer is the typical/average interview
Old Sep 4th 2013, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

Scott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
ScousePete's answer is the typical/average interview
Yeah that sounds about right from what little I can remember of the day.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 2:26 am
Forum Regular

paul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond repute

Mine wasn't really stressful. Waited around for an hour or so, the guy reviewed the N-400, and as he was doing so, slipped in the odd question from the Civics test, I think about 6 in all, passed me a few things to sign as he was going through it, then said I'd be recommended. A few days later, being in Orlando, went through a Disney themed ceremony, hey, all done!