What was my status?

Old Dec 27th 2004, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

icantthink is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What was my status?

All,

As I gather paperwork for my naturalization, I have to contact the Selective Service folks for a letter. I understand that I was not required to register with them while I was on an non-immigrant visa, but I do need to get that info from them.

My intention is to provide them with a summary of my status by year/by age.

When my wife and I filed the 485, I was on an H1-B, but what was my status between applying for the green card and actually receiving it? It took about 2 years -- filed in December 1999, approved in January 2002.

thanks
Old Dec 27th 2004, 8:12 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What was my status?

Originally Posted by icantthink
All,

As I gather paperwork for my naturalization, I have to contact the Selective Service folks for a letter. I understand that I was not required to register with them while I was on an non-immigrant visa, but I do need to get that info from them.

My intention is to provide them with a summary of my status by year/by age.

When my wife and I filed the 485, I was on an H1-B, but what was my status between applying for the green card and actually receiving it? It took about 2 years -- filed in December 1999, approved in January 2002.

thanks
You were required to register with then as soon as you married your USC spouse and filed for residency as long as you were under the age of 26.

You were pending adjustment during that time.
Old Dec 27th 2004, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
You were required to register with then as soon as you married your USC spouse and filed for residency as long as you were under the age of 26.

You were pending adjustment during that time.

So just to clarify, I was supposed to register as soon as I filed for the green card even though I was not approved for it?

Fortunately, looks like I was 26 years and a couple of months in 1999 when we applied for residency...
Old Dec 28th 2004, 12:54 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... I was supposed to register as soon as I filed for the green card even though I was not approved for it?
You were supposed to file as soon as you moved to the US to live as a resident.

Fortunately, looks like I was 26 years and a couple of months in 1999 when we applied for residency...
From my understanding, that you applied for permanent residency after you turned 26 is irrelevant. From the Selective Service site: "... if a male noncitizen takes up residency in the U.S. before his 26th birthday, he must register with Selective Service". So the question is, were you, in fact, resident before you turned 26? If you were, and you didn't file, you could find yourself in a bit of a spot!

Ian
Old Dec 28th 2004, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You were supposed to file as soon as you moved to the US to live as a resident.

From my understanding, that you applied for permanent residency after you turned 26 is irrelevant. From the Selective Service site: "... if a male noncitizen takes up residency in the U.S. before his 26th birthday, he must register with Selective Service". So the question is, were you, in fact, resident before you turned 26? If you were, and you didn't file, you could find yourself in a bit of a spot!

Ian

Understood -- but between the ages of 17 and 26 I was on a student visa, and then on an H1. We applied for permanent residency a few months after my 26th birthday.

From what I understand, both F1 and H1 are *non* immigrant visas, so I was not required to register with the selective service. So to answer your question, I don't think I was a permanent resident before I turned 26.
Old Dec 28th 2004, 3:15 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Understood -- but between the ages of 17 and 26 I was on a student visa, and then on an H1. We applied for permanent residency a few months after my 26th birthday.

From what I understand, both F1 and H1 are *non* immigrant visas, so I was not required to register with the selective service. So to answer your question, I don't think I was a permanent resident before I turned 26.
http://www.sss.gov/must.htm

Students are not required to register as long as their status is current. However, H-1B are dual visas and not listed on the non-immigration visa types not required to register.

Check with the selective service can see what they have to say about it.
Old Dec 28th 2004, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
http://www.sss.gov/must.htm

Students are not required to register as long as their status is current. However, H-1B are dual visas and not listed on the non-immigration visa types not required to register.

Check with the selective service can see what they have to say about it.

Wilco -- preparing my package for SSS as I write.

Just as a point of interest, my approval notice for the H1 lists it as "Petition for Non Immigrant Worker".
Old Dec 28th 2004, 3:31 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

So just to clarify, I was supposed to register as soon as I filed for the green card even though I was not approved for it?

Hi:

The failure to register for SS is part of the "good moral character" issue -- so you need to have complied with the law during the REQUIRED period of residence and GMC. On non-marriage cases, the failure to register issue pretty much goes away when the applicant turns 31 years of age [5 years of GMC]. In 3-year marriage cases, it goes away at age 29.

I just filed a natz for a FY2000 "lottery winner" who adjusted in early 2000. Since he is 30 years old, I obtained evidence of his registration on line. If he was 31, I wouldn't have bothered.
Old Jan 13th 2005, 2:04 am
Forum Regular

Wilco -- preparing my package for SSS as I write.

Just as a point of interest, my approval notice for the H1 lists it as "Petition for Non Immigrant Worker".

Hi folks -- an update from the SSS front.

I received a letter from the SSS today (took about 2 weeks) that based on their records and the information I provided, I was not required to register with the SSS.

So that closes this part of the application. On to my 8-year old traffic ticket of which I have no record