Wikiposts

What are my chances??

Old Aug 25th 2006, 5:46 am
Just Joined

USA here we come is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What are my chances??

I have been reading these boards now for a while, to try and find out about the e-5 visa process and so far have only come across those who have invested in a regional center, and not found much about those investing the required million in their own business.

I am a qualified nursery nurse with 15 years experience, 8 of those managing my own nursery. My husband and i have decided that we want to live in the states, preferably Florida (but don't hold that against us!) and i want to open my own nursery and try and get in on the E-5 visa as this option allows for eventual permanent residency. We have the required capital, from the sale of my business in the UK and extra from our house sale, all of which can be verified to show it has been obtained legally. And can easily provide 10 jobs for US citizens.

I am under no illusion that this will be an easy journey, and neither myself or my husband are afraid of hard work and now that we will have to work our socks off as we will also be bringing 3 children with us.

Now for the questions:
Is this going to be feasible or are we wasting our time?

It has been recommended that we buy a franchise as this offers a better opportunity for permanent residence, is this the case? I would rather start from scratch.

I have also been advised to go for an E-2 visa (buy an already running nursery) and then when i have provided 10 jobs for US citizens apply for the E-5 visa, but i didn't think this was an option?

Any help or thoughts on these matters would be greatly appreciated, we are already committed to starting the process as i have sold my business in the UK and have started to pull together all the documents required for the I-526 form.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice anyone can give.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 7:12 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are my chances??

Originally Posted by USA here we come
I have been reading these boards now for a while, to try and find out about the e-5 visa process and so far have only come across those who have invested in a regional center, and not found much about those investing the required million in their own business.

I am a qualified nursery nurse with 15 years experience, 8 of those managing my own nursery. My husband and i have decided that we want to live in the states, preferably Florida (but don't hold that against us!) and i want to open my own nursery and try and get in on the E-5 visa as this option allows for eventual permanent residency. We have the required capital, from the sale of my business in the UK and extra from our house sale, all of which can be verified to show it has been obtained legally. And can easily provide 10 jobs for US citizens.

I am under no illusion that this will be an easy journey, and neither myself or my husband are afraid of hard work and now that we will have to work our socks off as we will also be bringing 3 children with us.

Now for the questions:
Is this going to be feasible or are we wasting our time?

It has been recommended that we buy a franchise as this offers a better opportunity for permanent residence, is this the case? I would rather start from scratch.

I have also been advised to go for an E-2 visa (buy an already running nursery) and then when i have provided 10 jobs for US citizens apply for the E-5 visa, but i didn't think this was an option?

Any help or thoughts on these matters would be greatly appreciated, we are already committed to starting the process as i have sold my business in the UK and have started to pull together all the documents required for the I-526 form.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice anyone can give.

I might be completely wrong on this so don't take it as gospel, but I was under the impression that you have to put a minimum amount of $$$ in to the US economy before they're let you come over and set up shop.
Read Pulaski's article here:
http://britishexpats.com/articles/us...rk-in-the-usa/
Old Aug 25th 2006, 7:30 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sarah
I might be completely wrong on this so don't take it as gospel, but I was under the impression that you have to put a minimum amount of $$$ in to the US economy before they're let you come over and set up shop.
Read Pulaski's article here:
http://britishexpats.com/articles/us...rk-in-the-usa/
Hi
We have the required minimum of at least 1 million US and were going to transfer that over to the US when we had found a suitable premise. I'm not sure whether the required capital has to be in a US account though before we can be granted a temporary visa?
I have business plans, for the new business, and documents that show the money was obtained legally, i just have to find out what to do next.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 10:04 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I
No!! it does not work that way ...

You would better of spending half your capital $500k on a EB-5 regional centre... this would give you a conditional green card straight away
There is no requirement that you even live in the same state as the investment anyway .. then complete with Green card you could start your
own business anywhere you like.. doing whatever you want ...

My current favourite of the regional Centers are
http://dairy.doa.sd.gov/immigration.htm
http://www.sd-exports.org/dairy2002/regional.htm

Overall what ever method you choose..you are going to take a year at least to get here ....

also have a look at a more Florida based forum at www.thefloridaforum.us
Old Aug 26th 2006, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
No!! it does not work that way ...

Thought that was the case, thanks for clarifying.

You would better of spending half your capital $500k on a EB-5 regional centre... this would give you a conditional green card straight away
There is no requirement that you even live in the same state as the investment anyway ..

Hadn't really considered this as it seems to be putting your future in someone else's hands. What is the success rate?

then complete with Green card you could start your
own business anywhere you like.. doing whatever you want ...

Something to look into.

My current favourite of the regional Centers are
http://dairy.doa.sd.gov/immigration.htm
http://www.sd-exports.org/dairy2002/regional.htm

Overall what ever method you choose..you are going to take a year at least to get here ....
Thanks Ray

also have a look at a more Florida based forum at www.thefloridaforum.us
Wil do.
Old Aug 27th 2006, 1:45 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You mean you are hoping to start up a childcare center? A nursey nurse works in a hospital with just born infants and/or sick children.

You do not need to have a nursing degree to be a childcare worker and/or own a childcare center.

If you have a nursing degree, i.e. the equivalent of a RN perhaps, you can see about coming to the US with your family and getting a green card immediately through that approach as they claim nurses are in short supply here.

BTW I find that very untrue as I have many friends who are LPNs and RNs and hospital will only allow them to work part time in order to save money on not giving out benefits.
Old Aug 27th 2006, 2:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
You mean you are hoping to start up a childcare center? A nursey nurse works in a hospital with just born infants and/or sick children.

A nursery nurse can work in hospitals true, but in the UK they primarily work in daycare centres, pre-schools and in schools.

You do not need to have a nursing degree to be a childcare worker and/or own a childcare center.

I don't have a nursing degree, only an NNEB diploma and loads of experience!

If you have a nursing degree, i.e. the equivalent of a RN perhaps, you can see about coming to the US with your family and getting a green card immediately through that approach as they claim nurses are in short supply here.

BTW I find that very untrue as I have many friends who are LPNs and RNs and hospital will only allow them to work part time in order to save money on not giving out benefits.
Thanks
Old Sep 15th 2006, 3:34 am
Just Joined

Well after much deliberation and numerous phone calls with various immigration lawyers (who were for the most extremely unhelpful) we have decided to give the USA a miss on the immigration front.

It was a lovely dream to have but the realistic practicalities of even getting things of the ground are more trouble than it's worth.

I will keep all the information i have collected and my business plans and proof of funds, just in case in the future we change our mind.

Thanks for all your help and replies, will just have to decide where else to go now.
Old Sep 15th 2006, 7:37 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Well after much deliberation and numerous phone calls with various immigration lawyers (who were for the most extremely unhelpful) we have decided to give the USA a miss on the immigration front.

It was a lovely dream to have but the realistic practicalities of even getting things of the ground are more trouble than it's worth.

I will keep all the information i have collected and my business plans and proof of funds, just in case in the future we change our mind.

Thanks for all your help and replies, will just have to decide where else to go now.
Good to hear from somebody that has a dream but is also
a realist ....