British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   What are the implications? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/what-implications-863503/)

Springy6 Aug 16th 2015 11:23 am

What are the implications?

The story so far:

EB1a visa granted to husband in January.
Accepted and signed contract with US company in January.
Entered country on visa in April, returned to UK to finish working notice with UK employer.
Started work with US employer in May, working remotely but being paid by them, in $, with them withholding tax.
Packers coming on Tuesday.

In June, the US company's Middle Eastern holding company announced it was becoming operational. Husband told no change to his role.

On Friday, with assigned US line manager on leave, husband gets call from Middle East "Hello, I am your new line manager. The job you were recruited to no longer exists. This is the job that is availabe and I want it based here in the Middle East."

When husband stated move to US next week, Mr Middle East said, whilst not helpful, would see how it went for a couple of years.

So we now sit surrounded by cases and packing boxes wondering what we do next.

If we go, would be to a job that husband would hate but would be in US. Not really in a state where he could easily pick up another role. Would need to consider what happens to the relocation expenses.

If we stay in UK, would need to find a new job although could do hated job from home whilst looking. Would it mean giving up on the USL

Need help to understand the implications especially surrounding our green cards and tax implications.

Apologies for such a long thread - wanted to make sure you have all the information to help make your usual wonderful responses.

ian-mstm Aug 16th 2015 11:48 am

Re: What are the implications?

Originally Posted by Springy6 (Post 11725005)
Need help to understand the implications especially surrounding our green cards and tax implications.

This seems to be a complicated situation... but perhaps not. What have the company's lawyers said about it?

Entered country on visa in April...
I think this might be pivotal.

Ian

Springy6 Aug 16th 2015 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 11725022)
This seems to be a complicated situation... but perhaps not. What have the company's lawyers said about it?

I think this might be pivotal.

Ian

Thanks Ian

Company lawyers not saying anything at the moment.

Why might our entry in April be pivotal?

DottM Aug 16th 2015 12:32 pm

When does his "previous" line manager return? Could he get in touch just to verify all this?

Pulaski Aug 16th 2015 12:43 pm

Do you and your husband plan/ want to look for other jobs in the US? It would be easier from there (might be impractical/ close to impossible from the UK), and your green cards are at risk of expiring in a few months.

If relocating to the US isn't a dream for you, then you can stay put in the UK, and your green cards will expire in due course.

Springy6 Aug 16th 2015 1:20 pm

Pulaski, it was indeed our dream but when you're surrounded by packing boxes it's hard to know what to do for the best.

If it were west coast where jobs in his field, and at his level, are quite plentiful I would feel better. However, where we are/were heading, I haven't seen any other jobs in his field advertised. How likely would employers be to consider him for a west coast job if he's on the east cost? Is it I similar issue to being out of the US?

If we do decide to stay, what happens to the taxes he's been paying since May?

Pulaski Aug 16th 2015 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Springy6 (Post 11725081)
Pulaski, it was indeed our dream but when you're surrounded by packing boxes it's hard to know what to do for the best.

If it were west coast where jobs in his field, and at his level, are quite plentiful I would feel better. However, where we are/were heading, I haven't seen any other jobs in his field advertised. How likely would employers be to consider him for a west coast job if he's on the east cost? Is it I similar issue to being out of the US? .....

If he's in the US there is a chance, if he is not in the US, much less so.

He could spoof a west coast address using a PO Box at The UPS Store, using "Apt#" instead of "PO Box#", and the UPS Store street address, and get a "local" VoIP phone number, such that any potential west coast employer likely wouldn't notice he isn't local. He might have to be prepared to hop on a plane for an interview at short notice though.

I don't know about the taxes.

retzie Aug 16th 2015 11:51 pm

How likely would employers be to consider him for a west coast job if he's on the east cost? Is it I similar issue to being out of the US?

Moving around the US for work is very, very common, so I doubt his application would get binned automatically. The fact he would already be in the country sends the signal that he doesn't need a visa (obviously, this is not a foolproof system, but you are happily on the right side of it!). I don't think there would be any need to 'spoof' a West coast presence to be fully considered, so yes, I think making the move would help open up the West coast market.

Of course, that doesn't mean he'll find a job!

Pulaski Aug 17th 2015 12:38 am

Originally Posted by retzie (Post 11725362)
...... I don't think there would be any need to 'spoof' a West coast presence to be fully considered, .....

In most cases when I hire for my team I only look at applications in same, or occasionally adjoining states. Looking further afield just complicates and lengthens the hiring and onboarding process.

I know someone who was hired from DC, and it took three or four applications before he was hired, and that was with me lobbying for him (I recognized his potential value to the company but he wasn't suitable for the role I was trying to fill when I first spotted his résumé).

scrubbedexpat099 Aug 17th 2015 2:13 am

Are you renting?

Pulaski Aug 17th 2015 2:18 am

I'm an owner occupier. Why? :unsure:

scrubbedexpat099 Aug 17th 2015 2:32 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11725412)
I'm an owner occupier. Why? :unsure:

:lol::lol::lol:

S Folinsky Aug 17th 2015 2:36 am

OP should consult with his OWN separate lawyer.

AdobePinon Aug 17th 2015 4:19 am

How likely would employers be to consider him for a west coast job if he's on the east cost? Is it I similar issue to being out of the US?

Depends on the nature of the job. If his current job was enough to warrant the company getting him a green card, my guess is that location within the US would not be an issue.