Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

what the heck is going on? a mistake im sure!

Wikiposts

what the heck is going on? a mistake im sure!

Old Dec 4th 2010, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

kaki83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what the heck is going on? a mistake im sure!

ok this is weird. i arrived in the states with my wife November 6th after obtaining my ir1 immigrant visa.
yesterday the 3rd of December, i received two letters from uscis. one was a welcome notice ( i-797c notice of action) which i know im supposed to receive.

and now the weird part.. the other one was a receipt notice (i-797c notice of action).. umm we already had the appointment and interview and visa.. it says they've received our application and petition.. wth?? aren't we done with all that???

its been almost a month and i still haven't gotten my green card.. is this why? have they messed up my whole process of getting my green card????? what should i do??
thanks for all ur help
Old Dec 4th 2010, 7:18 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what the heck is going on? a mistake im sure!

Originally Posted by kaki83
its been almost a month and i still haven't gotten my green card..
As long as your visa was validated when you entered the US, that is your green card and is valid proof of your status. Eventually, the plastic one will arrive. At any rate, it's only been a month.

what should i do??
If you're concerned, make an InfoPass appointment and speak to someone in person.

Ian
Old Dec 5th 2010, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

kaki83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
As long as your visa was validated when you entered the US, that is your green card and is valid proof of your status. Eventually, the plastic one will arrive. At any rate, it's only been a month.

If you're concerned, make an InfoPass appointment and speak to someone in person.

Ian
thanks.. ill be waiting for the greencard. but my main concern is to why i got the notice of reciept in the mail along with my welcome notice. the notice of reciept states that my petition for a visa has been approved and that i have to wait for it to be accepted.. how can that be? i already started that whole process back on 2009 and we were accept for a visa this october.. i bet they made a mistake. who should i call to talk to this about?
Old Dec 5th 2010, 5:37 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks.. ill be waiting for the greencard. but my main concern is to why i got the notice of reciept in the mail along with my welcome notice. the notice of reciept states that my petition for a visa has been approved and that i have to wait for it to be accepted.. how can that be? i already started that whole process back on 2009 and we were accept for a visa this october.. i bet they made a mistake. who should i call to talk to this about?
You can try calling USCIS 800 "misinformation" line, but you probably don't need to. Just wait another few weeks to see if your green card shows up, if it does not, then go in person as Ian suggests and bring that notice with you.

Rene
Old Dec 5th 2010, 7:42 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

who should i call to talk to this about?
You have a valid endorsement in your passport... why should it matter if you got an oddly-worded letter? The endorsement proves your status regardless of what shows up in the mail.

Ian
Old Dec 6th 2010, 5:23 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

A Receipt Notice states approval? Sounds to me as though someone has put mixed information into whatever computer system generates the NOAs.

If you're concerned, I think the best way to get good information is to make an InfoPass appointment at the District or Sub office that serves your place of residence.

Regards, JEff

my main concern is to why i got the notice of reciept in the mail along with my welcome notice. the notice of reciept states that my petition for a visa has been approved and that i have to wait for it to be accepted.. how can that be? i already started that whole process back on 2009 and we were accept for a visa this october.. i bet they made a mistake. who should i call to talk to this about?
Old Dec 6th 2010, 6:08 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

British English seems to use "accepted" and "approved" interchangeably.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 6:39 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Backwards, anyway!

Originally Posted by meauxna
British English seems to use "accepted" and "approved" interchangeably.