British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   What happens when H1B is rejected? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/what-happens-when-h1b-rejected-834632/)

jameshall886 May 23rd 2014 10:00 am

What happens when H1B is rejected?

Hi all,

After offering me a job as software engineer, Amazon applied for H1B which has been rejected. I am guessing that is the end of this opportunity for me but was wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation where their H1B was rejected after getting an offer? Also, is it any different if the employer is a big company like Microsoft or Amazon (although I don't think that should make any difference)?

Cheers!
James

JAJ May 23rd 2014 12:02 pm

Re: What happens when H1B is rejected?

Was it rejected due to the lottery, or some other reason? By the way, they probably applied for the H1-B petition (form I-129), not the visa itself.

Guindalf May 23rd 2014 1:22 pm

Yeah, without knowing the reason for the rejection, it's hard to offer comment! It's kinda like going to the doctor and saying "I've got a pain, fix it!"

A little more information and you may get a better answer.

S Folinsky May 23rd 2014 1:59 pm

Amazon had to take a bet on OP and they lost. I know that Amazon is one of the companies lobbying for changes in the law. Maybe what happened to Amazon here will help contribute to a change in the law.

Bob May 23rd 2014 3:09 pm

Was the visa petition rejected, or did you just not win the lottery for visa processing?

jackattack May 23rd 2014 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by jameshall886 (Post 11272877)
Hi all,

After offering me a job as software engineer, Amazon applied for H1B which has been rejected. I am guessing that is the end of this opportunity for me but was wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation where their H1B was rejected after getting an offer? Also, is it any different if the employer is a big company like Microsoft or Amazon (although I don't think that should make any difference)?

Cheers!
James

Most H1B petitions are 'rejected' because they don't get selected for processing. Meaning that there were more than twice as many applications for H1B than there were available visas. Did you get a generic letter saying that your H1B was not selected? If so, then there is nothing that you can do other than try again next year.

If your H1B was denied for another reason (for example lack of specialized knowledge of applicant) then I don't know what you can do. Does your rejection letter not tell you?

If Amazon is the hiring company, would they consider hiring you in the UK and then bringing you over on an inter company transfer once you've worked in the UK?

kins May 23rd 2014 3:44 pm

Will Amazon not give you more info about the reason it was rejected, or any further info/ideas? I'm assuming they have one of their legal people handling it.

scrubbedexpat099 May 23rd 2014 8:09 pm

Probably on its way by Drone.

md95065 May 24th 2014 4:01 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 11273558)
Probably on its way by Drone.

:rofl:

"Job applicants who have shown an interest in H1-B visas might be interested in the following products ..."