Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

What happens if NIE request fails at embassy appointment.

What happens if NIE request fails at embassy appointment.

Old Sep 23rd 2021, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

tariqbutt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What happens if NIE request fails at embassy appointment.

I have an appointment for my H1B application coming up on October 13th.

I have been advised that when I attend the appointment, I still need to carry a letter with the basis for receiving an NIE. They won’t issue a visa if they don’t approve an NIE. (National Interest Exception)

I have also been advised that since my appointment is in October (before the new rules come into play in November) that I will still need the NIE.

My question is: does anyone know what happens if I go to the appointment and they do not approve the NIE?
  • Would I simply be able to book another appointment at a later date when the new rules are in play?
  • Or would this means my entire application fails? Would it be better trying to reschedule my appointment for a later date after the new rules come into play?
Old Sep 24th 2021, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What happens if NIE request fails at embassy appointment.

Originally Posted by tariqbutt

I have been advised that when I attend the appointment, I still need to carry a letter with the basis for receiving an NIE. They won’t issue a visa if they don’t approve an NIE. (National Interest Exception)

I have also been advised that since my appointment is in October (before the new rules come into play in November) that I will still need the NIE.

My question is: does anyone know what happens if I go to the appointment and they do not approve the NIE?
  • Would I simply be able to book another appointment at a later date when the new rules are in play?
  • Or would this means my entire application fails? Would it be better trying to reschedule my appointment for a later date after the new rules come into play?
If you are able to re-schedule your appointment to a month later in November, I'd do that. Unless your employer's immigration attorney has rock-solid confidence in the NIE letter.
Old Sep 24th 2021, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

What makes you say that? Do you have any information on what the consequences might be if it failed?

I asked my lawyer and they said
"There is no downside to proceeding with the appointment in October. If the visa is denied in October (because they won’t issue an NIE), you can book another appointment for after the travel ban is lifted. An NIE-related visa denial won’t prejudice a future visa application."

Which I think is very clear and definite.
However that advice I think contradicts with this advice taken from a random legal website:
https://www.nnuimmigration.com/l-1-h...emption-guide/
What happens if my NIE is denied?:
If the consular officer finds that you do not qualify for the NIE, they will refuse the visa under Sec. 212(f) of the Immigration and Nationality Act. This will remain on the record as a refusal, and will be available to any consular or CBP officer in the future.

Although there is some debate about whether or not a 212(f) denial should have the same legal effect as other types of denials, so far, the U.S. government is treating such denials as if they were temporary ineligibilities. Therefore, one can expect that a 212(f) denial would have the same impact on future travel as would any other visa denial.

What are the implications of this? First, the denial will remain on record permanently. Second, future ESTA applications will automatically be denied by CBP until the applicant applies for a visa, is interviewed by a consular officer, and is granted the visa—even if the planned travel at that point is not for employment in the United States but only for pleasure or business. Third, at the point of this future visa application, regardless of the visa category applied for, the consular officer will need to be satisfied that the 212(f) denial no longer applies and can be overcome. Although CBP policies may change in the future, based on current policy, only after ten years of visa travel without incident may the applicant expect to be granted ESTA again.
This makes me very confused as to what I should do.

Last edited by tariqbutt; Sep 24th 2021 at 6:06 pm.
Old Sep 24th 2021, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

What makes you say that? Do you have any information on what the consequences might be if it failed?

"There is no downside to proceeding with the appointment in October. If the visa is denied in October (because they won’t issue an NIE), you can book another appointment for after the travel ban is lifted. An NIE-related visa denial won’t prejudice a future visa application."

However that advice I think contradicts with this advice taken from a random legal website:

I don’t think that the U.S. bureaucratic machinery has caught up technology-wise to differentiate between NIE-related denials vs. “general” denials. A denial is a denial, IMO, as things stand currently. If relocation to the U.S. is important to you then one month delay should not make any difference.
Old Sep 25th 2021, 5:56 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

I find your post quite puzzling. First you give your lawyer’s advice. But you think that that advice “contradicts” advice in a website which confirms the lawyer’s advice.

Consistent advice from two independent sources strikes me as being the opposite of contradiction.

As the King of Siam would note in the play “The King And I”: It is a puzzlement.
Old Sep 25th 2021, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
I find your post quite puzzling. First you give your lawyer’s advice. But you think that that advice “contradicts” advice in a website which confirms the lawyer’s advice.
Can you elaborate on what you mean? The lawyers advice is "There is no downside to proceeding with the appointment in October. "

Whereas the advice on the website is that there is a big downside (in that it will "remain on my record permanently and future ESTA applications will automatically be denied ).

In line with the website (and contradicting my lawyer) destone also suggests I change my appointment (my lawyer says keep it)

I was proceeding with appointment based on the idea that there was "no downside" but am I to believe the website that there is a downside, and thus go with destone's advice in this thread and change my appointment?

Last edited by tariqbutt; Sep 25th 2021 at 7:16 am.
Old Sep 25th 2021, 1:38 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Consistent advice from two independent sources strikes me as being the opposite of contradiction.

As the King of Siam would note in the play “The King And I”: It is a puzzlement.
The OP probably does not have a lawyer, it’s is more likely his employer does. There is a difference. - this is an interesting read: https://www.aila.org/practice/ethics...representation

The point being, if it’s the OP’s employers lawyer the advice given to the OP should be the best advice for the employer and not the the OP, and there could be a difference. They are probably less concerned about future personal travel than they are about getting the employee they need in the US ASAP.
Old Sep 25th 2021, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

Lots interesting points here. Given the implications, Im gradually leaning towards pushing my appointment back.

Originally Posted by destone
If relocation to the U.S. is important to you then one month delay should not make any difference.
If only it were that easy. The problem now is that if I move the appointment back, the next available appointment is in March. Unless, is there some way I am not aware of of moving the appointment back a shorter amount of time? Later November would be ideal.
Old Sep 25th 2021, 6:59 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
The OP probably does not have a lawyer, it’s is more likely his employer does. There is a difference. - this is an interesting read: https://www.aila.org/practice/ethics...representation

The point being, if it’s the OP’s employers lawyer the advice given to the OP should be the best advice for the employer and not the the OP, and there could be a difference. They are probably less concerned about future personal travel than they are about getting the employee they need in the US ASAP.
It should be noted that the link you provide discusses “dual representation.” Dual representation by lawyers is permissible. That said, “potential conflict of interest” is inherent in dual representation. No need to discuss to discuss how weak or strong the potential may be. But legal ethics rules are clear that if potential conflict becomes real the lawyer must withdraw from representation of BOTH clients.

That said, let’s say that lawyer is involved in visas for 50 workers for “MegaCorp” and one visa case goes south, what is the attorney to do? Or let’s say the minions of the dark forces insist on a minor amendment to the underlying petition the effect of which is allow 48 applications to go through but does in 2 applications.

The issues of legal ethics can be tricky at times. The citation you give addresses the fact that one of the ethics mavens of the immigration bar took a strong opinion that lawyer had to entirely withdraw from representing MegaCorp and all 50 workers. Mr.Metha disagrees.

So, OP here does have a lawyer.
Old Sep 25th 2021, 7:53 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

It should be noted that the link you provide discusses “dual representation.” Dual representation by lawyers is permissible. That said, “potential conflict of interest” is inherent in dual representation. No need to discuss to discuss how weak or strong the potential may be. But legal ethics rules are clear that if potential conflict becomes real the lawyer must withdraw from representation of BOTH clients.

That said, let’s say that lawyer is involved in visas for 50 workers for “MegaCorp” and one visa case goes south, what is the attorney to do? Or let’s say the minions of the dark forces insist on a minor amendment to the underlying petition the effect of which is allow 48 applications to go through but does in 2 applications.

The issues of legal ethics can be tricky at times. The citation you give addresses the fact that one of the ethics mavens of the immigration bar took a strong opinion that lawyer had to entirely withdraw from representing MegaCorp and all 50 workers. Mr.Metha disagrees.

So, OP here does have a lawyer.
that might be the theory…

but in practice I have seen the whole spectrum…

very one sided..

a good balance…

and so unresponsive it would be a stretch to say they were representing anyone…
Old Sep 25th 2021, 9:28 pm
BE Commentator

Lots interesting points here. Given the implications, Im gradually leaning towards pushing my appointment back.

If only it were that easy. The problem now is that if I move the appointment back, the next available appointment is in March. Unless, is there some way I am not aware of of moving the appointment back a shorter amount of time? Later November would be ideal.
The one piece of advice I will give is to you is to ask the lawyer. You are treating the “no downside” statement as an absolute. I would not be surprised if she meant “no downside of substance.” Although continuing elegibility for ESTA appears to be of supreme importance to you, I would not characterize it as one of any substance based upon your stated facts. I’m not inclined to discuss the issue with you, but you do have a lawyer.
Old Sep 28th 2021, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

Itwillrain has a reputation beyond reputeItwillrain has a reputation beyond reputeItwillrain has a reputation beyond reputeItwillrain has a reputation beyond reputeItwillrain has a reputation beyond reputeItwillrain has a reputation beyond reputeItwillrain has a reputation beyond reputeItwillrain has a reputation beyond reputeItwillrain has a reputation beyond reputeItwillrain has a reputation beyond reputeItwillrain has a reputation beyond repute

My situation and concern is similar to yours. My lawyers also said the same thing that the L1B visa may be rejected because of the travel ban. I had a post on this website and received some feedback (the feedback made me feel positive, but now I am very confused after reading your thread) - see link to my post below:

L1 visa appointment from UK and the risk of rejection due to travel restrictions

Old Sep 28th 2021, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Itwillrain
My situation and concern is similar to yours. My lawyers also said the same thing that the L1B visa may be rejected because of the travel ban. I had a post on this website and received some feedback (the feedback made me feel positive, but now I am very confused after reading your thread) - see link to my post below:

L1 visa appointment from UK and the risk of rejection due to travel restrictions
My understanding is if you dont have an NIE you visa will definitely be rejected at the embassy. I was only considering going in with an NIE letter prepared and even then its a risk.

In the end I have moved my appointment to December so as to be sure the NIE process has been ended (in november), so Im sticking with that and I will hopefully move in January after christmas.
Old Sep 28th 2021, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

This post is relevant as it shows the role the NIE letter played and how it was ultimately needed for approval of the visa :

At the end he said that my visa was denied pending NIE approval (e.g. he couldn't issue the Visa without the NIE)
Presidential Proclamation on UK travel and National Interest Exceptions
Old Sep 28th 2021, 5:09 pm
BE Commentator

Originally Posted by Itwillrain

As I noted above, I too initially found OP’s post confusing. I am now retired after 40 years in the business. Look, ANY visa application entails risk. The questions then become ones of odds, consequences and how to handle the risk if it comes to pass.

OP has clarified his concern: if he should want to make a future visit to the US, he would have to engage in the normal process of applying for a visa and not the legally extraordinary ESTA process. So, no substantive downside to being denied the NIE and concomitant visa.

I submit he was crystal clear after the initial confusion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.