Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

What happens if marriage comes to and end?

Wikiposts

What happens if marriage comes to and end?

Old Apr 22nd 2004, 7:59 am
Just Joined

workinggirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What happens if marriage comes to and end?

I've read some horror stories in forums about people getting married and the marriage goes sour. I have been married to my husband for 2 1/2 years. We recently filed for his perm residency (didn't do it sooner for financial reasons). Our marriage is strong, we have problems like any marriage does but nothing horriable. What happens if he gets his green card and would run out on me? Would I still be financially responsible for him since I am his sponsor? To me if he would leave or change (as in not want to work, cheat...anything to ruin a marriage). To me that is not fair, just as if I "abused" him saying he needs me for a green card. Thank You.
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 10:01 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What happens if marriage comes to and end?

wg,

Originally posted by workinggirl
I've read some horror stories in forums about people getting married and the marriage goes sour. I have been married to my husband for 2 1/2 years. We recently filed for his perm residency (didn't do it sooner for financial reasons). Our marriage is strong, we have problems like any marriage does but nothing horriable. What happens if he gets his green card and would run out on me? Would I still be financially responsible for him since I am his sponsor?
Yes.

To me if he would leave or change (as in not want to work, cheat...anything to ruin a marriage). To me that is not fair, just as if I "abused" him saying he needs me for a green card. Thank You.
Why isn't it fair? You knew what you were getting into (you did read the I-864 before you signed it, right?), and you agreed to it knowing the consequences.

Regards, JEff
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

tanaats is an unknown quantity at this point

<...>To me if he would leave or change (as in not want to work, cheat...anything to ruin a marriage). To me that is not fair, just as if I "abused" him saying he needs me for a green card. Thank You.
It wouldn't be fair if he took advantage of you, true. But don't confuse "law" with "justice". Only sometimes do they coincide.

Joe
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 5:14 pm
Mrtravelkay

workinggirl wrote:
    > I've read some horror stories in forums about people getting married and
    > the marriage goes sour. I have been married to my husband for 2 1/2
    > years. We recently filed for his perm residency (didn't do it sooner for
    > financial reasons). Our marriage is strong, we have problems like any
    > marriage does but nothing horriable. What happens if he gets his green
    > card and would run out on me? Would I still be financially responsible
    > for him since I am his sponsor?

Did you read the I-864 before you signed it? You are obigated to support
him at 125 percent of poverty level or to reimburse the government if
they provide assistance to him. This does not end by divorce. It ends by

1. Departure from US and abandoning status
2. death
3. 40 social security qualifying quarters of work
4. citizenship

Old Apr 23rd 2004, 3:16 am
Just Joined

workinggirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Right I understand all of that. I was just wondering because there are some evil people in the world. I was just wondering if there was any law that protects people. A person gets married and his/her partner takes advantage of his/her position because their partner "needs" a green card. Maybe that abuse of power ranges from you can't go anywhere without my permission to actual physical abuse. That person feels they have power over the other and may want to abuse that. Or, after the person gets his/her green card, they could take advantage of the partner as well. Such as the marriage ending in divorce the person refuses to work, racks up credit cards, ect and the other partner has to pay for that "abuse" of power the other one has been given. To me it looks as if the person just married the other for the green card. I feel that some people have what they think is a legitmate marriage (really love that person) and something happens and there an abuse of power, just thought there should be some protection for both people. Thanks.
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 3:19 am
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

It happens frequently....Caveat Emptor...You pays your money and you take your chances.

Kind of late in the game to wonder though.

Good luck!!!

Right I understand all of that. I was just wondering because there are some evil people in the world. I was just wondering if there was any law that protects people. A person gets married and his/her partner takes advantage of his/her position because their partner "needs" a green card. Maybe that abuse of power ranges from you can't go anywhere without my permission to actual physical abuse. That person feels they have power over the other and may want to abuse that. Or, after the person gets his/her green card, they could take advantage of the partner as well. Such as the marriage ending in divorce the person refuses to work, racks up credit cards, ect and the other partner has to pay for that "abuse" of power the other one has been given. To me it looks as if the person just married the other for the green card. I feel that some people have what they think is a legitmate marriage (really love that person) and something happens and there an abuse of power, just thought there should be some protection for both people. Thanks.
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

Randie is an unknown quantity at this point

that's why - those couple of years INS allows as waiting period before granting permanent card are so important as far as closing monitoring your relationship. I call this my evaluation period. I will be going through the same experience when hubby arrives in the US sometime this year and the thought of finding out that the love was not for me but for the green card, gives me the chils. However, as much in love as I am, I wouldn't hesitate to insuring that "my loved one" goes back home if I was to see and be convinced that marriage was only for US residency status only. Oh no, and "he" has also been warned about it :-)

Randie
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

AlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really nice

Originally posted by Randie
that's why - those couple of years INS allows as waiting period before granting permanent card are so important as far as closing monitoring your relationship. I call this my evaluation period. I will be going through the same experience when hubby arrives in the US sometime this year and the thought of finding out that the love was not for me but for the green card, gives me the chils. However, as much in love as I am, I wouldn't hesitate to insuring that "my loved one" goes back home if I was to see and be convinced that marriage was only for US residency status only. Oh no, and "he" has also been warned about it :-)

Randie
I guess it all depends on what country your other half is coming from and what they were doing there. I don't for one monent think my husband had any doubts about my intentions and that they were certainly not for a green card. I had a very well paid job in the UK, I had never had the need to come and live in the US before.
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 8:41 am
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

And people were critical of my post the other day in the string dealing with past "unreported" (on the USCIS forms) criminal activity of the international spouse. Again, most people who are reported to the USCIS are ratted on by a prior loved one, co-worker or friend who is now hateful or jealous for some reason (and want this person to leave the U.S., which by the way would eliminate the obligations under the I-864).

Last edited by Matthew Udall; Apr 23rd 2004 at 10:55 am.
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 10:02 am
robert jcarlson

I've read some horror stories in forums about people getting married and the marriage goes sour. I have been married to my husband for 2 1/2 years. We recently filed for his perm residency (didn't do it sooner for financial reasons). Our marriage is strong, we have problems like any marriage does but nothing horriable. What happens if he gets his green card and would run out on me? Would I still be financially responsible for him since I am his sponsor? To me if he would leave or change (as in not want to work, cheat...anything to ruin a marriage). To me that is not fair, just as if I "abused" him saying he needs me for a green card. Thank You.

two words: life insurance

Old Apr 23rd 2004, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

lulusmom is an unknown quantity at this point

Workinggirl...
Believe me, it happens.
Don't ever allow yourself to be bullied or pressured or abused. Noone can allow you to be controled but yourself.

Be well,
~kristine
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

You would probably never prove it. Your spouse having been forwarned could accuse you of abuse. This is a game you don't even want to start.

Hope it never happens.

Good Luck

Originally posted by Randie

Randie
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

Buzzy Muffle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Mrtravelkay

Did you read the I-864 before you signed it? You are obigated to support him at 125 percent of poverty level or to reimburse the government if they provide assistance to him. This does not end by divorce. It ends by
1. Departure from US and abandoning status
2. death
3. 40 social security qualifying quarters of work
4. citizenship
Are there any statistics on how many times the government has sought/retrieved reimbursement from USC sponsors for foreign spouses that received assistance? Or how many foreign spouses have met untimely ends?
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 12:39 pm
Andrew DeFaria

Matthew Udall wrote:

> And people were critical of my post the other day in the string
    > dealing with past "unreported" (on the USCIS forms) criminal activity
    > of the international spouse. Again, most people who are reported to
    > the USCIS are ratted on by a prior loved one, co-worker or friend who
    > is now hateful or jealous for some reason.

Or who just wish to see the laws applied and justice done. Or is that
not allowed? Why do you alway assume that the other person is hateful or
jealous? And why does being hateful or jealous matter? Shouldn't the
real question be truth or not? For example, if an immigrant comments a
crime that renders them deportable then just because you report the
crime under the cloak of hate or whatever, does that somehow make it not
a crime or not a crime that is deportable. IOW, wasn't that the truth
and how does it become any less truthful simply because the reporter is
jealous or hateful? Answer is it doesn't become any less truthful, it's
still a crime and according to the law the alien should be deported
regardless if the reporter was angry, hateful and yes even vengeful. Or
are you advocating that if the person is ratted on by somebody who has a
grudge then somehow the person should be excused from the criminal
behavior! Honestly how some people's minds work amaze me!

--
What has four legs and an arm? A happy pit bull.

Old Apr 23rd 2004, 12:40 pm
Andrew DeFaria

lulusmom wrote:

> Workinggirl... Believe me, it happens. Don't ever allow yourself to be
    > bullied or pressured or abused. Noone can allow you to be controled
    > but yourself.

Save putting a gun to your head or otherwise physically threatening you
(or downright beating you), unless of course you don't mind dying or
having a few knee caps removed.

--
The 2 most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.