Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

What happens to green card if we divorce

What happens to green card if we divorce

Old Jul 29th 2019, 5:34 am
Just Joined

Cdntluvumore is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What happens to green card if we divorce

My husband is South African and here on an O1 visa. I am English and here on O3 visa.
He is talking of divorce even though we should be getting our green cards in a year. He doesn’t want to wait that long as says I must sort myself out. He also says he won’t give me any support financially and he will be taking sole custody of kids.
Firstly, is he allowed to keep our kids while I’m forced out due to having no status here?
and would my green card application be dropped since we would be getting divorced?
Old Jul 29th 2019, 9:44 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What happens to green card if we divorce

Your green card application could be dropped once you are legally divorced.

The child custody issue is up to a family law judge. That judge might be able to let the green card application continue so that you can remain in the country where the kids are.

You need 2 lawyers...a divorce lawyer and an immigration lawyer, as you have 2 separate issues going on.

Rene
Old Jul 29th 2019, 12:40 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Noorah is right, you absolutely need 2 attorneys here.

The divorce issues is done at county level, a county judge has no authority to rule on the Federal issue of your being legally in the US, and typically in this situation you would have no legal basis to remain in the US after the divorce unless you can get a visa based on your own circumstances.
Old Jul 29th 2019, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute

Above advice is sound, you should definitely seek legal counsel.

That said; sounds like your husband (soon to be ex?) is trying to force your hand. Divorce can take time, a long time, years, if you refuse to play ball. Don't let him force your hand, fight him every step of the way.

Has your husband filed for adjustment of status? If so how long ago? Past 6 months I don't believe the petition can be withdrawn except by the beneficiary. Though I could definitely be mistaken.
Old Jul 29th 2019, 2:57 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

And if you are in difficult financial circumstances (he has cut you off from funds in any way), look for an organization such as Catholic Charities which will give pro bono legal advice and refer you to people who can offer help and support. Your local library can probably help you to find an appropriate group in your community.
Old Jul 29th 2019, 3:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Her GC is dependent on his and his application as a spouse so no marriage no GC no matter what happens.

Judging by the initial post sounds very unlikely he will wish to include her.

Family Courts as has been mentioned in the round would not take immigration issues into consideration, normally they would require children to stay within their jurisdiction.unless the other spouse agrees.

O3 would be dependent on her being a spouse and him maintaining O1 status so if either ceases she would be out of status and deportable.
Old Jul 29th 2019, 5:10 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

So delay the divorce proceedings until the green card processing is complete. Things can always be stalled. As for the children, that is handled by the Family Court and unless he can show that you are incapable and/or a bad mother, he cannot have the children take from you. He might get 1/2 custody but not sole custody. He's just playing games. Probably has a girlfriend on the side that is threatening to leave him if he doesn't get the divorce proceedings filed.

As for the cost of the attorney, have your attorney bill him since he is the one that wants the divorce. These days alimony is rare but you will be entitled to child support.
Old Jul 29th 2019, 5:35 pm
Account Closed

O3's are not work authorised.
Old Jul 30th 2019, 2:19 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
O3's are not work authorised.
Is that directed to me??????????????????????????

If so, it is inventive reading as never mentioned that she was or could work.
Old Jul 30th 2019, 2:41 am
Account Closed

More of a general comment relating to the complicated situation.

Usually a Family Court would impute an earning capability, but she can not legally work and would presumably argue that, but then if you bring that into the discussion she can also not stay legally after the divorce. Catch 22?

Sounds unlikely Husband would produce a situation where she could get a GC even if means delaying the process, and if she is out of status following a divorce she can not adjust anyway.
Old Jul 30th 2019, 2:42 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.secondsaturday.com/

hopefully there's one near the OP. Personally, I'd be heading back to Blighty, he sounds like a nasty piece of work.
Old Jul 30th 2019, 2:46 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Is that directed to me??????????????????????????

If so, it is inventive reading as never mentioned that she was or could work.
pretty sure that comment was not about you. Just a fact.
Old Jul 30th 2019, 4:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
https://www.secondsaturday.com/

hopefully there's one near the OP. Personally, I'd be heading back to Blighty, he sounds like a nasty piece of work.
Normally I would agree but she has children to consider.
Old Jul 31st 2019, 2:19 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Would what happens to the children not depend on if they are USC? Did not see that scanning down the thread. Were they born here or did they move here with the OP. That was actually one of the things my lawyer raised when I was apply for permission to acquire US citizenship as a reason it was something I needed.
Old Jul 31st 2019, 2:20 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Since the primary visa holder would still be in status, so would their dependent children I assume.

Since the wife would no longer be a dependent upon divorce, she would be out of status.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.