Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

What to expect at interview in american embassy in london

What to expect at interview in american embassy in london

Old Dec 26th 2010, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

karen.millar72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What to expect at interview in american embassy in london

Hi folks myself and family our heading for our interview at the american embassy in london in a few wks, if anyone could give me any tips on what to expect & how long the whole process takes, cheers folks
Old Dec 26th 2010, 8:56 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to expect at interview in american embassy in london

Hi Karen - I moved this thread to a forum more able to help.
Might also be useful if you posted the type of visa you are going to so answers can be more specific.
Old Dec 26th 2010, 9:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Bring a book.
Old Dec 27th 2010, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

Lazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to all

Our family travelled down to get our L1A and L2 visas. After a fairly long wait, we eventually went for our 'interview'. This consisted of 3 questions. The guy asked my husand what he does as his job, how long he had worked for the company and why our 2 older kids have a different surname. That was it!
Old Dec 27th 2010, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karen.millar72
Hi folks myself and family our heading for our interview at the american embassy in london in a few wks, if anyone could give me any tips on what to expect & how long the whole process takes, cheers folks
Some great write ups on this site about interview experiences- some of them very detailed- just play around with the Search tab (I went for KI and simply searched on "K1 interview experiences" and up tons popped!

I would say whatever visa you are going for make sure you prepare and have all your documents to hand - saves you fumbling about.

Keep an ear/eye open for your number - be prepared for a wait - I was in and out in an hour but other days it could take much longer!
Good luck
Old Dec 27th 2010, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a very informative video from the London consulate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzZOvF1EEXE
Old Dec 27th 2010, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

E2Brutus is an unknown quantity at this point

great video. it's really not any more of an interview than that you get at the point of entry from immigration officials. I am surprised as I thought the E2 visa was more rigorous. Is there an equivalent of immigration's secondary?
Old Dec 28th 2010, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

NotCasey is an unknown quantity at this point

I have had two VERY different experiences being interviewed at the embassy...

The first one back in January 2009 was AWFUL. My attorney had fully prepped me - I had to be prepared to name roles, directors, titles of plays/films and co stars for a number of credits, and had to give specific answers for other questions. When I got up to the booth, the interviewer really did grill me. He asked me the same questions phrased in different ways, he asked me questions about my employer, how long I had been acting for, what I had appeared in - but it was his general attitude that shook me. For instance, he glared at me and said "Do you have extraordinary ability? Have you ever even worked professionally?" as if I was lying or something! At the end of the interview he said "okay, I'm issuing your visa now. Thanks." but I was so convinced I'd 'failed' that I left the embassy and started bawling my eyes out!

So you can imagine how terrified I was when a year later I'd lost my passport and had to go back to the embassy for another interview. My hands were shaking as the girl handed me a 'lost passport' form and I filled it out. Her exact words to me were (and you have to put on a 'Valley Girl' accent) "So you lost your passport, huh. I bet you were like 'uh-oh!') She then apologised to me for trying to talk to me whilst I was filling out a form and therefore distracting me from doing two things at once. I hope I get her for my Green Card interview!

All that being said, my visa was an O1 so they are probably harder on us because the visa is more coveted...I don't know. As long as you're prepared, you'll do fine. If I managed to walk away with a visa after that, you'll have no problems!
Old Dec 28th 2010, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

E2Brutus is an unknown quantity at this point

nice advice, it seems that even though it is just a few questions behind perspex they do test you to make sure that the documentation that they have already based their decision on is accurate. It's like a POE grill based on the forms you sent in.