Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

what does my mom do when she gets here?

what does my mom do when she gets here?

Old Aug 2nd 2002, 5:20 am
Mitch Abaza

Default what does my mom do when she gets here?

I am a USC and have sponsored my mother's I-485 petition. She expects her interview
shortly and will travel here as soon as her immigrant visa is issued. My question is
what does she need to do get her green card once she arrives here? Is there a waiting
period before she can apply for a GC or can I take her to my local INS office right
away so that she can submit fingerprints/photos etc? Someone told me that landed
immigrants have to stay in the US for a year before they can apply for a GC.

Thanks much

--
Mitch Abaza

Old Aug 2nd 2002, 6:09 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what does my mom do when she gets here?

The I-485 is for adjustment of status. You can't have filed that for her unless you also filed an I-130 immediate relative visa application. The I-485 is can only be filed in the US and the interview takes place in the US. The I-130 is filed normally at the INS Service Center governing your living jurisdiction and the interview is held at the US Consulate abroad if the recipient is living abroad which appears to be the case for your mother.

If this last is what you have done, if your mother's interview is successful she will enter the US as a permanent resident and will be issued an I-551 stamp in her passport and the green card will arrive in the mail in one to six months.

So what did you really file for your mother?

Rete
Old Aug 2nd 2002, 6:20 am
Joachim Feise

Mitch Abaza wrote:
    > I am a USC and have sponsored my mother's I-485 petition. She expects her interview
    > shortly and will travel here as soon as her immigrant visa is issued.

Umm, please get your teminology right. The I-485 is only used if a person is in the
US and changes status. I assume she gets an immigrant visa at a US consulate.

> My question is what does she need to do get her green card once she arrives here?

She gets the GC stamp right there at the airport. She has to hand the immigrant visa
over to the INS officer, and then has to go to secondary inspection, where she is
fingerprinted, she gets the temporary I-551 stamp in the passport, and the form for
ordering the card (I-89) is filled out.

> Is there a waiting period before she can apply for a GC or can I take her to my
    > local INS office right away so that she can submit fingerprints/photos etc?

See above. She is a Permanent Resident from the time she enters.

> Someone told me that landed immigrants have to stay in the US for a year before
    > they can apply for a GC.

Completely wrong. See above.

-Joe

Old Aug 4th 2002, 7:20 pm
Charleyz Brown

Go down and apply for welfare so the rest of us have to foot the bill.

"Mitch Abaza" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I am a USC and have sponsored my mother's I-485 petition. She expects her interview
    > shortly and will travel here as soon as her immigrant visa is issued. My question
    > is what does she need to do get her green card once
she
    > arrives here? Is there a waiting period before she can apply for a GC or can I take
    > her to my local INS office right away so that she can submit fingerprints/photos
    > etc? Someone told me that landed immigrants have to stay in the US for a year
    > before they can apply for a GC.
    >
    > Thanks much
    >
    >
    > --
    > Mitch Abaza