Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

What to do while waiting for the EAD?

What to do while waiting for the EAD?

Old Oct 28th 2007, 4:15 pm
Has finally moved to NY

soon_to_Move is just really nicesoon_to_Move is just really nicesoon_to_Move is just really nicesoon_to_Move is just really nicesoon_to_Move is just really nicesoon_to_Move is just really nicesoon_to_Move is just really nicesoon_to_Move is just really nice
Default What to do while waiting for the EAD?

Hello,

First of all just a quick thanks to all those that have given information and guidance since I joined the site. We got our L1B/L2 and will be moving in January 08

When we get there i will apply for an EAD. I have searched the posts and there is so much guidance out there but i couldnt find what i was looking for so would be grateful for some more advice...

While i wait for the EAD am i able to do voluntary work? If i do this voluntary work can i get paid expenses or is this still seen as employment? if not i will be putting my feet up for a few months

Thanks again for your help.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 4:21 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to do while waiting for the EAD?

Originally Posted by soon_to_Move
Hello,

First of all just a quick thanks to all those that have given information and guidance since I joined the site. We got our L1B/L2 and will be moving in January 08

When we get there i will apply for an EAD. I have searched the posts and there is so much guidance out there but i couldnt find what i was looking for so would be grateful for some more advice...

While i wait for the EAD am i able to do voluntary work? If i do this voluntary work can i get paid expenses or is this still seen as employment? if not i will be putting my feet up for a few months

I suggest you put your feet up.

Voluntary work is a gray area which could potentially get you on the wrong side of USCIS for working without an EAD.

However, the rule is basically that you can't do ANY voluntary work for which a US person would be paid.

The question of being paid expenses is not one I can answer, and I doubt anyone here would either. It may be permissible by the letter of the law, but I wouldn't want to put my visa at risk if USCIS chose to interpret things differently.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 4:22 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soon_to_Move

My understanding is that you can do volunteer work if the job itself is a volunteer job, i.e., so one in that position would EVER get paid for doing that job. You can't take a job that would normally be a paid position, and just work without pay. If you take a volunteer job, you should not get compensated in any way, shape or form. Not money, not paid expenses, not gifts, not free samples in return for work done.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Oct 28th 2007, 7:20 pm
Has finally moved to NY

soon_to_Move is just really nicesoon_to_Move is just really nicesoon_to_Move is just really nicesoon_to_Move is just really nicesoon_to_Move is just really nicesoon_to_Move is just really nicesoon_to_Move is just really nicesoon_to_Move is just really nice

Thanks for the info, I think i will put my feet up! ("no you won't be" says my husband).