Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

what to do if N-400 case status online does not show

what to do if N-400 case status online does not show

Old Oct 4th 2005, 10:33 pm
Banned

marasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the rough
Default what to do if N-400 case status online does not show

A friend of mine sent in their N-400 last year, but to this date the online case status says the receipt number cannot be found.

Has anyone gone through this?

Could a pending I-751 be the cause for this?

Also for people with I-751 and N-400 pending, is interview based on processing times of the N-400 or I-751?
Old Oct 4th 2005, 10:42 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what to do if N-400 case status online does not show

Originally Posted by marasmus
A friend of mine sent in their N-400 last year, but to this date the online case status says the receipt number cannot be found.

Also for people with I-751 and N-400 pending, is interview based on processing times of the N-400 or I-751?
Individual I-751s and N-400s can not be tracked by receipt number.
For I-751, watch the Service Center processing dates.
For N-400, watch the District Office processing dates.

I-751 might not require an interview, but if it is still pending at the time the N-400 interiew comes around, the officer will usually handle that application before the N-400.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 10:43 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if the N-400 status can be viewed on line or not. Each petition's interview (if there is one for the I-751, as there usually is not) is independent of the other. So they are based on their own processing times for that particular petition. If the interview for the N-400 comes up before the I-751 is adjudicated, they will take a look at the I-751 at the same time as the N-400 interview (I believe), and adjudicate the I-751, then proceed with the N-400.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Oct 4th 2005, 11:21 pm
Banned

marasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the rough

Rene,
N-400s are supposed to be able to track with the receipt number correct?

Are you sure that case status does not show N-400s? Maybe my friend has nothing to worry about then.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 11:25 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Rene,

Are you sure that case status does not show N-400s? Maybe my friend has nothing to worry about then.
meauxna's post above also supports my idea that the N-400's are not trackable with the receipt number. I don't know how long it normally takes to hear something about the N-400, though.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Oct 4th 2005, 11:44 pm
Banned

Really? I thought I have seen posts on here about N-400s, with some people saying that N-400 case status can be tracked on the USCIS site and that case staus disappear when the interview letter is mailed?

Can someone speak to this from experience?

================================

Originally Posted by Noorah101
meauxna's post above also supports my idea that the N-400's are not trackable with the receipt number. I don't know how long it normally takes to hear something about the N-400, though.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Oct 5th 2005, 12:16 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Rene,

Jim's N-400 in 2003 wasn't online either.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 12:20 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Jim's N-400 in 2003 wasn't online either.
Yup... and mine in 2004 wasn't either.

Ian
Old Oct 5th 2005, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

gaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nice

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Yup... and mine in 2004 wasn't either.

Ian

My case was slightly different.
I filed for N400 July, 2005.
I got the fingerprint notice in August for Sep 15, 2005.
At this point, the online status reflected the letter that they mailed me saying that it was under progress and the last updated date was July 15, 2005. The font on the last updated was red.
On Sep 23, the last updated field changed to 9/23 and the font turned black.
They mailed me an interview notice on the same day and I got it on the 26th of September for a Nov 3, 2005 interview.

My D.O is Boston and my Priority Date was July 15, 2005. This was consistent with a lot of recently filed N400 apps (Status disappears while the interview notice arrives)...You will find hundreds of posts about this at http://boards.immigrationportal.com under the citizenship section...though there are some people who say their status changed and nothing arrived and when a couple went in to check, they said that the D.Os now are not sending out interview notices till the name check is complete...So, I would say about 80% of the time, when the status changes, it seems to be around the interview notice time, but not always...

It is sad that we need to extrapolate status by font color changes and last updated fields changing. It seems obvious that something is triggering this...A simple update saying "your interview letter is being mailed or your name check is pending" rather than "your status is no longer available" would clarify things further....though I am not complaining...sigh...It would probably save the USCIS $$$ as well since people will not call the NSC to keep asking for status...but what do I know...

Good Luck
-- Gaude