Wikiposts

What chances of H1B visa success?

Old Mar 2nd 2014, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

Phyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond repute
Default What chances of H1B visa success?

I have a job offer from a US company. I have actually been through an application last year which was stopped when it was realised that I would need an H1B visa and the quota was already filled. I was then approached to apply for a position which has now been successful, pending a visa!

If all of the paperwork is completed in the next few weeks, what actually is the chance of being successful?

I have read that the quota is 65,000 and last year there were 120,000 applicants. How do the authorities select from these?

Should I get excited and start making more plans or just keep fingers crossed and hope? Is it really still a 50:50 shot?

Any advice is appreciated.
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 10:44 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What chances of H1B visa success?

Originally Posted by Phyzz
I have read that the quota is 65,000 and last year there were 120,000 applicants. How do the authorities select from these?
They do a lottery drawing.

Should I get excited and start making more plans or just keep fingers crossed and hope?
I wouldn't make any definite plans until you have the visa in hand. You can't start work until October 2014 anyway, so you'll have plenty of time to make plans once you know for sure you have the visa.

Rene
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 11:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

The chances of it being 50:50 are very low.
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 12:40 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't count on it put it that way.
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 11:43 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phyzz
Should I get excited and start making more plans...
No.

... or just keep fingers crossed and hope?
That's all you can do!

Is it really still a 50:50 shot?
No... in fact, the odds aren't that good.

Ian
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Took 3 attempts for my husband to get his H1b. First 2 attempts were unsuccessful as he wasn't chosen in the random lottery drawing when the quota was met. The 3rd time was lucky mainly because that year the quota was not met right away. There is no way of knowing if you'll get it or not. Can only apply and wait for result.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

Phyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all of the information.
There was me thinking that the hard part was done!

Also made me wonder why any company recruiting would go to the trouble if it so hit and miss at this stage!
Old Mar 4th 2014, 6:31 am
Account Closed

Save money mainly. The big boys will get some, they do not know how many.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 6:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Curiosity.

Industry?
Job type?
Location?
Old Mar 4th 2014, 7:32 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Save money mainly. The big boys will get some, they do not know how many.
I suspect that the "big boys", know how many they want, say 50, then apply for 100 knowing that they'll likely get assigned 40-60, and if they do get assigned far too many they can just abort the visa process on the excess allocation.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 7:46 am
Account Closed

Sounds logical.